Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

12 hours ago, geordiesteve710 said:

We "imported" that Jared Gillett from Australia (granted he spent two years in the EFL before reffing Prem games) and he's one of the worst in the league.

There's something toxic in the English game which is absolutely fucking up the way VAR is used. It's certainly not abuse from the fans but I don't think it's because English refs are intrinsically or genetically blinder/more incompetent than other nationalities.

I agree that they can in theory be good but the culture is toxic and needs to be changed.

it’s hard to grow good crops on bad land . 

13 hours ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

Wow, if it’s true there was a malfunction it’s maybe not as bad. Was it actually the right decision when VAR corrected it? As it doesn’t say in the article 

Youd think with goal line tech it wouldn’t be hard to have an extra monitor on say the 4th official in case the refs didn’t work.

I also think talking to the crowd like in the NFL to explain what is going on would help everything. 

38 minutes ago, Ace said:

Wow, if it’s true there was a malfunction it’s maybe not as bad. Was it actually the right decision when VAR corrected it? As it doesn’t say in the article 

Youd think with goal line tech it wouldn’t be hard to have an extra monitor on say the 4th official in case the refs didn’t work.

I also think talking to the crowd like in the NFL to explain what is going on would help everything. 

I seen the goal and the watch flash. Was blatantly a goal but not in sight of ref. VAR cameras couldn’t see it. 

This is what they do. They do it so you don’t get those types of free kicks and the other teams do. The ones that are not controversial but gradually break the game up and slowly gives the momentum to one team.

9 minutes ago, Stifler said:

This is what they do. They do it so you don’t get those types of free kicks and the other teams do. The ones that are not controversial but gradually break the game up and slowly gives the momentum to one team.

Palpably felt myself with that first dive and inevitable very soft free-kick in the second-half.

Edited by Wolfcastle

13 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Just standard home team bias.  They would have won anyway

Yes they would have but it was still garbage. 'Standard home bias' shouldn't exist ffs.

10 minutes ago, huss9 said:

they were chucking themselves to the floor in response to the slightest nudge - watkins in particular.

ref never got a grip.

not why we lost though, but it was frustrating.

Every time, and I mean every time a Villa player lost the touch of the ball they would fall over and get a free kick.  Every 50/50 tangle/cuddle Villa got a free kick.  Every time the Villa player was approached by the opposition they fell over and got a free kick.  That referee was feckin awful.

34 minutes ago, Rod said:

Every time, and I mean every time a Villa player lost the touch of the ball they would fall over and get a free kick.  Every 50/50 tangle/cuddle Villa got a free kick.  Every time the Villa player was approached by the opposition they fell over and got a free kick.  That referee was feckin awful.

That was pretty much their game plan, that's why the comments about 'dark arts' flabbergasted me and how we are apparently the worst at it (or the best if you like) which from the evidence today we are clearly lacking in that department! 

However tactically it was a masterclass, it stopped us from getting into 2nd gear and demoralised us at times 

On 16/04/2023 at 20:29, Ace said:

Which ones? 

i was thinking that the free kick for our 2nd goal against Man utd was a bit soft, think it was longstaff who was fouled, he bought it if you like, but then rashford got a softer one in the final which led to their opening goal. Apart from that I can't remember us getting many soft ones, certainly not on the scale of villa who must have set a record for players going down, especially against brushing or just a gust of air. it was reminiscent of football italia back in the day 

1 hour ago, Nepharite said:

Hopefully it becomes commonplace at some point in the near future. That ref also seemed to be very respectful with his comments to players, issuing warnings and explaining his decisions. 

2 hours ago, Nepharite said:

Absolutely brilliant, that. Seems like a decent bloke too - clearly trying to communicate in different languages to the players.

Stick him in the aforementioned, toxic, environment of PL officiating and I dare say he'd turn to shite.

Absolutely support the mic'ing of refs though.