Newcastle United 0 - 0 Swansea City - 17/12/11 - post-match reaction from pg 26

Dave

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/12077/12367795.jpg

HBA wouldn't have changed anything!

f***ing frustrating to see our wingers who can't cross past first defender or dribble at pace at all.

What you basing that on?? You just said in your second sentence that our wingers cant get past the first winger. Hello?? HBA??

HBA is just the same....one more dribble until I'll lose the ball! And HBA isn't a winger IMO...if anything he should be played off the striker to create chances.

He probably isn't a winger but that doesn't mean he can't play there. You saying you would have played Sammy ahead of HBA today? With his style of play of course he will lose the ball occasionally but second half Obertan was scared to take on the winger and i dont think Jonas had the acceleration to get behind their full ball. We rarely got behind their defence today, they was a solid unit and Sammy didn't really do anything when he came on.

So f***ing disappointing. It was such a frustrating second half, there was that lack of cutting edge. ie. a certain Ben Arfa would have added an extra dimension to our play. Pardew's substitutions were just plain weird. Vuckic coming on was the strangest of them all like (though guess he was taking a precaution by taking Tiote off).

Really disappointing result. We should have won considering our dominance in the first half. WBA becomes a really massive game now - must win imo.

Didn't see the game, but when you're dominating possession and attacks against a 'lesser' side it seems the ideal time to introduce HBA.

Anyway, sounds like we played quite well without scoring, which is basically fine.

80% possession for much of the first half yeah. One of those where its more frustrating as we actually played pretty well, really shouldve won it.

Frustrating. But thats football..

We played well in general, created a lot of chances, kept them out the game 1st half

No real injuries (assuming Tiote just had cramp)

Younger lads had a decent run out

Didnt concede

Ba played a belter. Deserved at least 2 goals

..Needed Ben Arfa.. and better wide men..

This to be honest. Thought we kept the ball well and as people have said, Swansea pretty much parked the bus. Think we let ourselves down on the wings really, Obertan is 100x more frustrating than Jonas to be honest. Just one of those games, would have liked to see Ben Arfa but can see why he brought on who he did.

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/12077/12367795.jpg

HBA wouldn't have changed anything!

f***ing frustrating to see our wingers who can't cross past first defender or dribble at pace at all.

What you basing that on?? You just said in your second sentence that our wingers cant get past the first winger. Hello?? HBA??

HBA is just the same....one more dribble until I'll lose the ball! And HBA isn't a winger IMO...if anything he should be played off the striker to create chances.

He probably isn't a winger but that doesn't mean he can't play there. You saying you would have played Sammy ahead of HBA today? With his style of play of course he will lose the ball occasionally but second half Obertan was scared to take on the winger and i dont think Jonas had the acceleration to get behind their full ball. We rarely got behind their defence today, they was a solid unit and Sammy didn't really do anything when he came on.

I'm not saying I'd play Sammy...I'd sold all Ameobi's at once if possible!

For the first thing I would change our formation as we currently have only one decent striker(BA)...I'd choose HBA as the first player in the team sheet any day if we would play him as an attacking playmaker just behind BA

Guest Craig-NUFC

Krul 6 - Had nothing to do but collect a couple of balls. Played short passes which I like.

Simpson 7 - Put a few good balls in to the box and didn't allow Sinclair to cause too many problems

Perch 7 - Did his job and made a couple of good tackles. Needs to stop lumping the ball up field though

Colo 7.5 - Same old from captain Colo, plus a couple of good runs going forward

Santon 7.5 - Looks really good going forward, wasn't tested too much defensively. Got in to some good positions only for Jonas to look at him then decide not to pass

Obertan 6.5 - Stops play far too often, resulting in counter attacks going dead. Didn't even know he was playing second half. That said, he did cause a few problems and was getting in decent positions

Tiote 8 - Was a bit shakey for the first half an hour and looked like he could barely move. Soon came in to the game though and made a few crucial interceptions and tackles.

Cabaye 7.5 - Looks more comfortable with Tiote. Made some good diagonal passes and worked hard. Needs to realise he doesn't have to do everything now Tiote is back.

Jonas 5 - Kept running in to people, wouldn't pass to Santon and looks a shadow of the player he was last season. Have found him to be quite poor this season.

Ba 7 - Wasn't given much, but managed to fashion himself some decent attempts. Did very little second half down to a lack of service

Best 6.5 - Again, struggled with lack of service and had two players on him for every header, making it difficult to knock balls down

Pardew 4 - Baffling decisions again and a lack of a better idea once plan A has failed.

Didn't see the game, but when you're dominating possession and attacks against a 'lesser' side it seems the ideal time to introduce HBA.

Anyway, sounds like we played quite well without scoring, which is basically fine.

80% possession for much of the first half yeah. One of those where its more frustrating as we actually played pretty well, really shouldve won it.

Could have been worse...Leverkusen had almost 80% of the ball today and they still managed to lose 0-3 at home to Nürnberg(worst team considering last 6 games)

Krul - 5.5 nothing to do.  very clean gloves

Simpson - 6 nowt much to do , put in a good cross though

Santon - 6 did alright like.

Coloccini - 7.5  classy

Perch - 6 did alright wasnt really tested

Obertan - 6 did ok better than usuall still faustrated at times (crowd needs to get of his back, yes i know he's crap but groaning at him aint going make him any better)

Jonas - 6 worked hard and attacked more than usual

Cabaye - 6.5 worked hard again nice passing.

Tiote - 7 was his normal self, solid.

Best - 8, was classy holding the ball up making it stick and great flick ons, worked tirelessly, the game changed when he came off.

Ba - 7.5  was unlucky not to score, showed some class with his first touches and combined well picking up Best's flick-ons.  but was invisible once his striker partner Best left the field.

On my 2 cents... I don't think Pardew is to blame today I think the players are.  In the first half we were excellent and only bad luck stopped us coming in with a lead.  Second half the players stopped playing to the plan and started getting desperate for the goal and started playing a longer game, looking for the killer ball.  This gave Swansea more chances for possession and every time they had their minute of passing the ball around when we got it back, again we were more frustrated and stopped playing our game.  Ben Arfa is debatable but I think Pardew looks longer term than most on here.  Just got to look at Rtaylor.  He kept his place as he earned it.  He was keeping a better player (probably) out of the team but he kept the shirt as it was his.  I think something similar is going on with Ben Arfa.

What a disappointment. First half was great, but we just couldn't seem to apply the finishing touch and the longer it went on the more you thought that it was going to become a very frustrating afternoon - or worse. The second half was rubbish, the team seemed totally devoid of ideas and also energy as the half went on, the lack of urgency at the end was shocking. As for the subs, well they didn't add anything and had no impact on the game whatsoever, I was surprised not to see Ben Arfa, thought he could have had an impact. I have a little sympathy for Pardew regarding the subs, it's hard to know who to take off when the whole team is playing okay, but not well, and although we have players on the bench that could make an impact it's far from certain that they will. I thought that today was a really important game for us and we needed to get back to winning ways, especially after last week and I'm disappointed that the players didn't seem to have the motivation to do that.

Krul - 7 - wasn't really tested, but did well to come and claim when asked.

Simpson - 7 - played rather well, but i would like to see more of those deep crosses. one blemish was gifting them the ball from our corner, stupid.

Colo - 8 - fantastic as per. even started a few attacks 2nd half.

Perch - 7.5 - did really well mopping up loose balls and made a few important last ditch clearances. when the ball is not played in the air he is fine, so swansea is the perfect game for him in that respect.

Santon - 7 - looked eager, and a sure improvement on Raylor. one or two mis-timed runs and passes, but that will improve with game time.

Obertan - 5 - promising first 20-25 mins when his pace scared swansea, so why he decided to stop using it for the rest of the half is odd. did one or two good things, and one or two embarrassing things, but kept them on the back foot, without actually creating anything. and then, after HT, we were basically playing with 10 men, that's how anonymous he was. god knows why pardew left him on so long. he's had his chance.

Cabaye - 7 - played well without truly excelling. lofted some great passes out wide especially in the first half. was a bit odd seeing him deeper than tiote at times.

Tiote - 6.5 - very sloppy at times in the first half, but freshened up later on. some great tackles and tracking, and always looked to make a forward pass or dribble. seems harsh to give a low score as him and cabaye controlled the match, but that's due to how raw he looked at first.

Jonas - 6 - started off really poorly but grew into the match. solid defensive shift, and got one or two good dribbles in. worryingly since the Stoke match he's turned into the old Jonas of having no end product. looks so far away from the player he was at the start of the season.

Best - 7 - worked tirelessly, immense in the air, great holding the ball up, but drifted out of the match a bit second half. didn't look like a goal threat unfortunately.

Ba - 7.5 - was always a danger, fashioned some immense acrobatic chances out of fairly poor deliveries. deserved a goal.

Shola - 5 - Massive change in our retention once Best went off, and much of that is down to Shola not being able to control a football. Shit bar a decent shot and one skilful twirl 40 yards from goal.

Sammy - 4 - Never got into the match, very raw and not really ready for this level. his off the ball movement is truly terrible, doesn't know where to be half the time.

Vuckic - 6 - full of bright running and a couple of good passes infield.

Poor show today, good in the first half but you just knew that if they didnt score before half time, they wouldnt score 2nd half. Second half was a shocker.

Sure everybody is thinking the same? Where the fuck was Ben Arfa? Sammy will never create anything in a month of sundays, at least Ben Arfa might.

Obertan once again awful. Reminding me of Tomasson/Andersson/Maric more and more.

Cant believe ppl saying that HBA isnt a winger. He is perfect on the wing imo, he will get more time on the ball then he does behind the striker. He has the acceleration to get into decent scoring chances or in position to put the ball inside the box. He also has been playing on the wing for his previous clubs, so what is it that doesnt make him a winger?

Cant believe ppl saying that HBA isnt a winger. He is perfect on the wing imo, he will get more time on the ball then he does behind the striker. He has the acceleration to get into decent scoring chances or in position to put the ball inside the box. He also has been playing on the wing for his previous clubs, so what is it that doesnt make him a winger?

His lack of pace I think...and it's very very important for a winger. He could be used as a winger but more like a wide midfielder and not a typical winger who goes past his marker and put a cross in

His lack of pace I think...and it's very very important for a winger. He could be used as a winger but more like a wide midfielder and not a typical winger who goes past his marker and put a cross in

:lol: