The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

been some great games amongst the top prem teams this season.

interesting to see our name in there leffe  :coolsmiley:

Wouldn't say great games like our 4-4 v Arsenal last season. The Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal aside, most of the other games were one sided affairs, good to watch mind, except that last one, me no like that one. :D

that arsenal defeat was superb for comedy value though.

Guest bimpy474

Yeah the games between the top teams have been great this season. Benitez and Mourinho not being here may be indicitate of those clubs dropping in quality but atleast we don't have to watch their attritional 1-0s anymore.

:thup:

Ahhh yes, didn't we just love to watch two teams with two holding players, bore the shite out of us every SUPER Sunday :D

Guest bimpy474

Wouldn't say great games like our 4-4 v Arsenal last season. The Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal aside, most of the other games were one sided affairs, good to watch mind, except that last one, me no like that one. :D

that arsenal defeat was superb for comedy value though.

Oh yes, funny as feck that, especially as the biggest loudmouth who comes into my work is a Gooner.

The original post was in response to today's Barca game! My point was that either the author was taking the p*ss, or he was wrong.

Edit: Tooj I mean, not Sewelly.

think the prem's been more entertaining this season and the last one - the alleged "top four" have gotten significantly weaker, whereas Spurs and City are much improved, and the rest of the league have closed the gap a bit due to increased TV money.

Guest bimpy474

The original post was in response to today's Barca game! My point was that either the author was taking the p*ss, or he was wrong.

Edit: Tooj I mean, not Sewelly.

Ahh i see, sorry mate ;)

think the prem's been more entertaining this season and the last one - the alleged "top four" have gotten significantly weaker, whereas Spurs and City are much improved, and the rest of the league have closed the gap a bit due to increased TV money.

Do you reckon the rest of the league have closed the gap? I don't, I reckon the rest of the league is as weak as its ever been.

On the whole I'd say the league has gone backwards in terms of quality. Man United are weaker than they were in 09 but remain at a constant level due to SAF. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are all significantly worse than they were. City have improved artificially against the general tide of regression and Spurs tbf to them have filled the gap left by the others, but I still feel their progress leans more towards a 1 season flash in the pan more than being a genuine top side.

Then you've got the likes of Everton and Villa who are shitter than they were and seemingly dead on their knees financially. The relegation group and midtable malaise are for me as shit as I can ever remember.

The competitiveness has improved and has made the league slightly more interesting that way, but generally I think pretty much everybody has gone backwards.

Guest bimpy474

Ahhh spoken like a true contestant, Man City haven't played with two holding players this season at all, in the main the 1st choice 3 in central midfield have been Toure, Silva and Barry, Barry holding, Silva roaming and Toure who has got into the opposition box more than any other central midfielder in the premiership this season.

Do you reckon the rest of the league have closed the gap? I don't, I reckon the rest of the league is as weak as its ever been.

On the whole I'd say the league has gone backwards in terms of quality. Man United are weaker than they were in 09 but remain at a constant level due to SAF. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are all significantly worse than they were. City have improved artificially against the general tide of regression and Spurs tbf to them have filled the gap left by the others, but I still feel their progress leans more towards a 1 season flash in the pan more than being a genuine top side.

Then you've got the likes of Everton and Villa who are shitter than they were and seemingly dead on their knees financially. The relegation group and midtable malaise are for me as s*** as I can ever remember.

The competitiveness has improved and has made the league slightly more interesting that way, but generally I think pretty much everybody has gone backwards.

I don't think you can legitimately say we're a one-season flash in the pan, given that we've finished fourth (up against a flush Man City), fifth (and done well in the CL) and are now pushing for third. I think we're better this year than we were last, but agree that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are all worse.

Ahhh spoken like a true contestant, Man City haven't played with two holding players this season at all, in the main the 1st choice 3 in central midfield have been Toure, Silva and Barry, Barry holding, Silva roaming and Toure who has got into the opposition box more than any other central midfielder in the premiership this season.

Yeah Toure's almost like a withdrawn striker at times. defensive midfielders aren't supposed to charge forward like that.

Then you've got the likes of Everton and Villa who are shitter than they were and seemingly dead on their knees financially. The relegation group and midtable malaise are for me as s*** as I can ever remember.

I don't think you can legitimately say we're a one-season flash in the pan, given that we've finished fourth (up against a flush Man City), fifth (and done well in the CL) and are now pushing for third. I think we're better this year than we were last, but agree that Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are all worse.

2 players have improved you drastically this season compared to last and it still annoys me that you've basically got the striker that makes the rest of your team infinitely better on a subsidised loan from Man City. I know it seems daft to refer to one player when you've admittedly improved drastically as a club but I don't think you can argue how much better he makes you. The fact it's the direct result of the other improved team I mentioned buying their way to artificial success and then deciding they don't need half their players just makes it all the more irritating.

That said, I probably do your team a disservice as you are on the whole a very good side at the moment.

On the whole I'd say the league has gone backwards in terms of quality. Man United are weaker than they were in 09 but remain at a constant level due to SAF. Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are all significantly worse than they were. City have improved artificially against the general tide of regression and Spurs tbf to them have filled the gap left by the others, but I still feel their progress is leans more towards a 1 season flash in the pan more than being a genuine top side.

Then you've got the likes of Everton and Villa who are shitter than they were and seemingly dead on their knees financially. The relegation group and midtable malaise are for me as shit as I can ever remember.

I wouldn't say there's better teams out there, as good teams can often play dire football or get the best out of shite individuals (see Stoke) but the football is a bit better and the talent levels have probably edged up a bit too. Take Bolton or Blackburn for example - poor sides currently for various reasons, but they both try and play far better football than when Allardyce was manager at either club, and even sides near the bottom have players you could see turning out for the top four. Also some promoted sides now are coming up with the likes of Allen, Hoolahan, Brunt (and Tiote!) in midfield, more dynamic players, which is a good development. With some tops team weakening and there being a slight shift to more fluent football in Europe lesser teams are more inclined to have a go and try and produce positive football.

I don't think Spurs look like a flash in the pan side in the slightest, as it's all been about gradual improvement over a number of years. Adding VDV last year, Adebayor & Parker this, and the likes of Bale and Walker maturing has meant they're now a better side than their north London neighbours. The issue with Spurs is whether they hang on to their best players rather than this being an example of a side producing unsustainable performances. If they manage to keep the likes of Modric, Bale, sort something out with Adebayor or another striker, and even add Hazard as is rumoured, they'll be challenging for the title (bar City going out and spending half of Abu Dhabi's sovereign wealth fund).

No matter how badly we play there always seems to be a chance we can get a result against most of the sides in the division. I have honestly been surprised just how shit most of the teams are. All it has taken for us to leapfrog the other clubs in the legaue since promotion is shrewdly buy French/African players on the cheap who are physically and technically ahead of most of the plodders clogging up the league. :dontknow:

2 players have improved you drastically this season compared to last and it still annoys me that you've basically got the striker that makes the rest of your team infinitely better on a subsidised loan from Man City. I know it seems daft to refer to one player when you've admittedly improved drastically as a club but I don't think you can argue how much better he makes you. The fact it's the direct result of the other improved team I mentioned buying their way to artificial success and then deciding they don't need half their players just makes it all the more irritating.

That said, I probably do your team a disservice as you are on the whole a very good side at the moment.

Yeah, Ade does make a big difference. However, don't forget that before the Newcastle game a few fans (ours and others) and a few journalists were pointing out his lack of goals and lack of effort, suggesting that this was his usual fallow period after an initial flurry.

We're still paying solid wages for him though (our guess is 70-80K pw) which would otherwise be going to someone else, and another team could have done what we did. I hate that teams can loan within a division - think it's fundamentally wrong.

No matter how badly we play there always seems to be a chance we can get a result against most of the sides in the division. I have honestly been surprised just how shit most of the teams are. All it has taken for us to leapfrog the other clubs in the legaue since promotion is shrewdly buy French/African players on the cheap who are physically and technically ahead of most of the plodders clogging up the league. :dontknow:

as i said, i'm not saying there's better teams out there. in fact i think there's plenty of sides this season who are under-utilising the squads at their disposal due to shitty boards/managers - ie villa, blackburn. Everton seem to have just stagnated a bit more than anything, a couple of players like cahill declined but others like baines have improved massively. there's a few teams haven't turned up this season, but i'm not sure you can say that's because the quality of players or the standard of their football has declined.

there's usually a side each season that sneak up amongst so called better teams and improve more than you'd expect, like everton and villa have done in previous years. this year thankfully it's us.

What is wrong with playing two holding midfielders? Everyone was raving about Germany at the World Cup and they featured two in every match. The entertainment and quality of the football has nothing to do with the formations used.

I wouldn't say they did - Schweinsteiger's much more than that. But i do agree with the overall point  - Xavi and Busquets for Barca, or Vieira and Gilberto for the Arsenal invincables. two solid midfielders who give a basis for the rest to work magic.

Couple of decent brazilian sides have gone with two out right defensive midfielders in there, mind.

What is wrong with playing two holding midfielders? Everyone was raving about Germany at the World Cup and they featured two in every match. The entertainment and quality of the football has nothing to do with the formations used.

I wouldn't say they did - Schweinsteiger's much more than that. But i do agree with the overall point  - Xavi and Busquets for Barca, or Vieira and Gilberto for the Arsenal invincables. two solid midfielders who give a basis for the rest to work magic.

Couple of decent brazilian sides have gone with two out right defensive midfielders in there, mind.

Nothing's inherently wrong with playing two defensive midfielders, but Baba, I don't think you can argue that a formation has nothing to do with the entertainment and quality of the football. It's a combination of the formation and the quality of the players. The quality of the players in the two sides johnnypd named are among the best in the history of football!

Nothing's inherently wrong with playing two defensive midfielders, but Baba, I don't think you can argue that a formation has nothing to do with the entertainment and quality of the football. It's a combination of the formation and the quality of the players. The quality of the players in the two sides johnnypd named are among the best in the history of football!

It is not the formation, but the team philosophy. What is the difference between a compact, combative 4-5-1 and a free-flowing, attacking 4-3-3 other than how the formation is utilised? Many teams use 4-4-2 to have two banks of players in defence and two strikers they can play long ball with. More adventurous sides will allow both central midfielders forward and play open, attacking football.

It is not the formation, but the team philosophy. What is the difference between a compact, combative 4-5-1 and a free-flowing, attacking 4-3-3 other than how the formation is utilised? Many teams use 4-4-2 to have two banks of players in defence and two strikers they can play long ball with. More adventurous sides will allow both central midfielders forward and play open, attacking football.

the difference is the quality and the intelligence of the players.