The other games today - 2011/12

Rich

Man, what a great night. We might not have been at our best, but the goosebumps of being in the semis of the CL is something that gets me every time. 5 times in a row now, that's me happy for the rest of the week :thup:

:indi:

Enjoy it, mate. My flights are booked, just need tickets now. Really can't wait!

And generally, since late February onwards I do think we are playing quite well. Villa's injury and Pedro's floundering form has removed our two best natural finishers (and in Villa our best box player) from the scoresheet which is why at times we struggle to make our play count. But we still dominate and generate chances.

Man, what a great night. We might not have been at our best, but the goosebumps of being in the semis of the CL is something that gets me every time. 5 times in a row now, that's me happy for the rest of the week :thup:

Enjoy it, mate. My flights are booked, just need tickets now. Really can't wait!

Good luck getting them :thup:

I will be on a business trip. MEH.

(glad to have business trips given the shit this country is in, mind!)

Guest guinness_fiend

And generally, since late February onwards I do think we are playing quite well. Villa's injury and Pedro's floundering form has removed our two best natural finishers (and in Villa our best box player) from the scoresheet which is why at times we struggle to make our play count. But we still dominate and generate chances.

Do you really rate Villa that highly?  I think I am blinded by his last fifteen or so performances, but (to me) he has looked off the pace for ages and his inability to understand the offside rule is infuriating.

I honestly believe that Sanchez, with a bit of work, will destroy defences next season.

Good luck getting them :thup:

I will be on a business trip. MEH.

(glad to have business trips given the shit this country is in, mind!)

Ah, has that been confirmed now? Bit of a shitter for you. :(

I know how you feel. I get exactly like that at a lot of our games.

419267_247574468664048_2056635399_n.jpg

Do you really rate Villa that highly?  I think I am blinded by his last fifteen or so performances, but (to me) he has looked off the pace for ages and his inability to understand the offside rule is infuriating.

I honestly believe that Sanchez, with a bit of work, will destroy defences next season.

Villa's movement is preternatural. His form was off when he got injured but his runs always troubled defenses and opened up spaces elsewhere. I still think he's one of the best off-the-ball players in Europe and we miss him greatly. People like Cesc, Cuenca, Iniesta... that we have played in his position are great players but they are not forwards.

I agree about Alexis, by the way. His injuries have prevented him from featuring regularly but when he's been able to string 7-8 games together he's looked great. And he seems to be a better goalscorer than I thought when I looked at his stats in Italy.

The only time in my lifetime that we played Aston Villa you bummed us. :thup:

Really useful win for Hughton's group of lads. With their GD, effectively 4 points clear of 7th.

Got West Ham at the weekend I think too.

EDIT: Monday evening.

Yep, as if this season weren't already sufficiently joyous, that just makes it even better.

The only time in my lifetime that we played Aston Villa you bummed us. :thup:

I know. I was there. You were dirty feckers, too.

To balance it up, 77-8 was in my lifetime as well, and you snuck past us that time.

I was very young, but I do remember it being a very ugly game indeed.

I seem to remember SId Cowans taking a penalty, your keeper saving it, Cowans netting the rebound, and the keeper kicking Cowans' legs from under him! If you did that these days, you'd get a 10 match ban. I don't think he even got booked.

Happy days.

Guest guinness_fiend

Villa's movement is preternatural. His form was off when he got injured but his runs always troubled defenses and opened up spaces elsewhere. I still think he's one of the best off-the-ball players in Europe and we miss him greatly. People like Cesc, Cuenca, Iniesta... that we have played in his position are great players but they are not forwards.

I agree about Alexis, by the way. His injuries have prevented him from featuring regularly but when he's been able to string 7-8 games together he's looked great. And he seems to be a better goalscorer than I thought when I looked at his stats in Italy.

Fair enough.  I know that Villa was prolific last season but Pedro always seemed to be the natural predator of the two.  A frontline of Pedro/Villa, Messi and Sanchez/Tello (switching positions) will cause a lot of sleepless nights for Spanish defences next season.  Cuenca is rapidly turning into a wee superstar.  If he were English, our press would be proclaiming that he was Christ reborn.

I'm glad that Mascherano is finally getting some respect.  He is a great player and deserves some applause for once.  Barca really benefited from having two ex-Premiership players (Mascherano and Cesc) in the centre of the park.  Sometimes, you need a bit of bite with your technical ability.  Unfortunately, whilst Busquets is an excellent player, he doesn't have the tried-and-tested poker face that Javier and Cesc have.

Really useful win for Hughton's group of lads. With their GD, effectively 4 points clear of 7th.

Got West Ham at the weekend I think too.

EDIT: Monday evening.

Underrated the job he's done there. They could have crumbled so easily, he's a great man and I'd love to see him back in the PL and give him a reception he deserves. Hope they cut fat Sam up on monday

I seem to remember SId Cowans taking a penalty, your keeper saving it, Cowans netting the rebound, and the keeper kicking Cowans' legs from under him! If you did that these days, you'd get a 10 match ban. I don't think he even got booked.

Happy days.

We had a few nasty ugly fuckers back then: Migueli, Julio Alberto (red card machine), Marcos Alonso... Vicente  Sánchez - our captain - I used to play against in the 90s in a regional league and was an utter cheating t***.

I suppose the keeper was Urruti.

Quality :lol:

Happy days.

We had a few nasty ugly fuckers back then: Migueli, Julio Alberto (red card machine), Marcos Alonso... Vicente  Sánchez - our captain - I used to play against in the 90s in a regional league and was an utter cheating t***.

I suppose the keeper was Urruti.

"URRUTI! URRUTI T'ESTIMO!"

Aye, I know that.  ;)