NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bimpy474

Said it before but I really do think we were expecting an out going transfer (ba, tiote) to fund our deals this summer.

That's a good point actually. 

If you assume the Carroll money was used to engineer all of last seasons incomings, makes you wonder how much 'capital outlay' we actually have or are willing to spend without an injection of cash coming in from a player sale.

Then why did we try to buy De Jong before Carroll.

Said it before but I really do think we were expecting an out going transfer (ba, tiote) to fund our deals this summer.

If you assume the Carroll money was used to engineer all of last seasons incomings, makes you wonder how much 'capital outlay' we actually have or are willing to spend without an injection of cash coming in from a player sale.

I said makes you wonder, no one knows for sure. 

The implication from O-Nut's post is that the first team players the other clubs have brought in will perform no better than the ones they've sold, when that's not necessarily the case. They've replaced quality with quality. It's not just about numbers; if we'd sold Simpson and bought Debuchy nobody would give a s***.

Last summer on the whole, our incoming players were better or on a par with those going out. The clubs around us have all sold top class players, they've replaced them with quality, but to expect Giroud & Podolski to match what RvP has done, Dembele & Sigurdsson to cover Modric's departure, Borini & Allen to replace Bellamy & Kuyt for example, they're big asks.

Those latter two examples will definitely happen IMO. Arsenal I agree, they've sold themselves short thus far massively IMO.

I understand where you're coming from though. In terms of starting XI we can definitely say we're no weaker, can others? time will tell.

Who knows? Something might still happen. If it doesn't I'll be a bit disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

my opinion, while hardly ideal if we have the same squad as we do now on sat its not the worst thing thats ever happened

Who knows? Something might still happen. If it doesn't I'll be a bit disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

my opinion, while hardly ideal if we have the same squad as we do now on sat its not the worst thing thats ever happened

It's increasingly unlikely Lille or Liverpool will budge on thier prices but then we already knew that. If that's the case it will be frustrating in the sense we've missed an oppertunity to strengthen an already impressive base of players, but this is squad is more than capable of another top six campaign.

Problem is, the other teams around us have actively improved their squads whilst we've done essentially nothing to strengthen up apart from Anita. It's all well and good that we've signed players for the future but they won't be ready for the step up just yet.

Just have to hope that the likes of Sammy, Tavernier, Abeid, Vuckic really up their games this season.

Guest bimpy474

Aye, does like the mysterious does Ashley.

By the way every time there have been rumours about players leaving, the club have clearly told all of the local journalists that there have been no offers. Have we really done that well to retain our good players if there have been no bids to turn down?

Surely you can encourage or discourage offers?

It's increasingly unlikely Lille or Liverpool will budge on thier prices but then we already knew that. If that's the case it will be frustrating in the sense we've missed an oppertunity to strengthen an already impressive base of players, but this is squad is more than capable of another top six campaign.

First 11 is cabable....not the squad.  Seriously lack depth in key areas.  Squad was light last year and is even lighter this time round considering we have the extra strain of Europe.

Aye, think the trouble is that the Cisse deal had people yearning for more of that sort of transfer, when really it was all a bit Un-Ashley like.

Guest bimpy474

Aye, think the trouble is that the Cisse deal had people yearning for more of that sort of transfer, when really it was all a bit Un-Ashley like.

Aye, spot on that.  O0

I may be in the minority here but I actually think it's harder to crack the top four this year than last. Man City/Man Utd/Chelsea spent ridiculous money. Arsenal will still be there, Spurs still there. Liverpool to look out for. I don't think we're two signings away from the CL, I think we're quite a distance away.

Chelsea finishing 5th then winning the CL and blowing £100m fucked our chances, really.

Haven't Manchester City actually spent no money? (spent £18m brought in something like £20m?).

Also while Arsenal/Spurs will be there they've arguably both weakened, especially Spurs so far.

What was un-Ashley about Cisse?

Nothing at all. Player was identified, scouted and then signed at / below our true value of the player as with every other signed we've made from abroad recently.

(LOL he spent the MoNeY)

What was un-Ashley about Cisse?

Nothing at all. Player was identified, scouted and then signed at / below our true value of the player as with every other signed we've made from abroad recently.

Exactly, had a boat load of sell-on value to (not that I agree with this, but it's clearly the way things are done).