NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Most academy prospects fail, most players through Barcelona's academy don't make it to the top level.  Its hardly a surprise.

None of our local lads do, though.

Carroll, Taylor?  Even the likes of Liverpool haven't brought in as many as good that (off the top of my head), even it does seem shit.

Like I say, most big teams have s*** records like that in England.  Most academy prospects don't end up good enough for their club, to get 4-5 in the first team you need to be lucky or spend millions like Barca and Bilbao.

The thing with us is that our failures seem to end up in non-league or out of the game alltogether whereas other clubs churn out Football League players more frequently.

Yeah, exactly.

Well it depends on what argument you're making: actual local players (Johnson, Carrick included) or just Newcastle players?  Forster, Caldwell, Chopra, Orr, Ramage all played/play at at a half decent level.

To be honest I don't really pay attention to many of the academy kids that other teams churn out so I'm not sure how many of them end of the Championship or whatever but in terms of decent first teamers we've done alright and that's the most important thing, unless you get half decent money for the failures (more often than not you won't - most are actually just released).

The academy has improved massively under Ashley anyway, we'll have more first teamers from the academy soon enough.