NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Should United offload some of their stars then they could move for other targets. With the likes of Mathieu Debuchy of Lille linked with Real Madrid, Pardew said: “I want the fans to know that myself, Lee (Charnley) and Derek (Llambias) are monitoring all the transfers.

“We know the players we’re looking out for, and if they move, that might trigger us.

“If they don’t, we may hold off until such time we think the deal might be better.”

What does that actually mean? If they move, how can we be triggered? :lol:

He's not the most eloquent English speaker. This is in relation to his comment about our targets being secure at their clubs. If that changes, we'll make our moves.

Fair enough, but apart from agreeing fees how else can they change? Formal transfer requests?

“The most important thing is we don’t lose one of our key players. I’m on guard at that. The club’s on guard, and we’ve got to be careful.”

He makes it sound like someone is going to break in, bundle a player into a van and drive him off to a new club.

You don't have to be careful, you just have to turn them all down!

Depends how much is offered, would you turn down 20 million for Cabaye?

On deadline day, yes.

Its good money.

Selling him without replacing him would be criminal, though.

I agree it would but you can only deal with a bid if and when it comes in.  If it comes in with a couple of hours left in the window they you have to consider it and look at the risks of selling such a player.

Can he be replaced in January or will we have to play a whole season with this player missing??

We probably wouldn't be in a position to attract such good players having played half a season without Cabaye, though.

“The most important thing is we don’t lose one of our key players. I’m on guard at that. The club’s on guard, and we’ve got to be careful.”

He makes it sound like someone is going to break in, bundle a player into a van and drive him off to a new club.

You don't have to be careful, you just have to turn them all down!

Depends how much is offered, would you turn down 20 million for Cabaye?

He influences our game too much for me to accept the bid. Carroll, in contrast, may have been our best player at the time, but his departure did not change our direct style of play. If Cabaye's passing disappears during our attempted transition from hoofball to football, it will be quickly and painfully felt.

Our transfer strategy appears to be totally dependent on either other clubs massively overpaying for one of our players, or selling excellent players to us for peanuts.

Granted it's actually worked so far, but I have serious doubts as to it's sustainability long term....

It's how Spurs do business somewhat. Always seem to sell for extortionate amounts, and buy for practically fuck all.

Not really.

Should United offload some of their stars then they could move for other targets. With the likes of Mathieu Debuchy of Lille linked with Real Madrid, Pardew said: “I want the fans to know that myself, Lee (Charnley) and Derek (Llambias) are monitoring all the transfers.

“We know the players we’re looking out for, and if they move, that might trigger us.

“If they don’t, we may hold off until such time we think the deal might be better.”

What does that actually mean? If they move, how can we be triggered? :lol:

He's not the most eloquent English speaker. This is in relation to his comment about our targets being secure at their clubs. If that changes, we'll make our moves.

Fair enough, but apart from agreeing fees how else can they change? Formal transfer requests?

That's one option. Alternatively the players could pass little written notes to their agents.

Our transfer strategy appears to be totally dependent on either other clubs massively overpaying for one of our players, or selling excellent players to us for peanuts.

Granted it's actually worked so far, but I have serious doubts as to it's sustainability long term....

It's how Spurs do business somewhat. Always seem to sell for extortionate amounts, and buy for practically f*** all.

Not really.

Hyperbole, I know. But come on, they could technically end up making a profit having BOUGHT Adebayor :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

Few quotes in the sun from Pardew saying we are waiting to see if anything appealing comes up.

They are all over the board since yesterday. About 10 pages or more back in this thread

It's how Spurs do business somewhat. Always seem to sell for extortionate amounts, and buy for practically f*** all.

Not really.

Hyperbole, I know. But come on, they could technically end up making a profit having BOUGHT Adebayor :lol:

12/13: £38m spent to date

11/12: £8m

10/11: £18.5m

09/10: £32m

08/09: £87m

07/08: £48.5m

06/07: £49m

05/06: £34m

04/05: £16.5m

03/04: £14.2m

Few quotes in the sun from Pardew saying we are waiting to see if anything appealing comes up.

They are all over the board since yesterday. About 10 pages or more back in this thread

It's a load of wank.  Like any club is gonna get on the phone one day before the deadline saying 'hey, come get this guy, we'll give him to you really cheap'.  It's just bollocks, we're done for this window.

Not really.

Fuck me, you go the extra mile to prove a point. Fair enough. Now i'm all:

:okay:

Not really.

Fuck me, you go the extra mile to prove a point. Fair enough. Now i'm all:

:okay:

:lol:

They often sell high and their net spend is normally more reasonable, that's why they're often cited as a good 'model' (about the fifth) for us. Having said that, their net spend in the same period has frequently been £15-20m. The big difference between them and us is they're not afraid to spend.

Guest johnson293

I think any potential incomings before the window shuts may be reliant on us winning tonight, and qualifying for the Europa League.

If we win, we have that to offer potential signings (should we need to), and we'll know we have additional fixtures to play.

Lose, and the feeling in the club may be that the current squad can cope (certainly until January) with the league and league cup fixtures alone.

Our two main targets are arguably Debuchy and Carroll, and the club probably have some sort of idea/agreement about the personal terms, if as reported both players are keen to join us.

So hopefully if we win tonight, we have tomorrow to try and agree fees and push through a deal or two?