January transfer aperture ceases to exist!

Benwell Lad
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I definitely think the Mariappa/Williamson comparison is more realistic. The Forest fans seemed to like Perch because he was a "good lad" rather than his football ability. Mariappa is liked by the Watford fans because of his ability.

Really though?

If your s***... fans don't like you just because your a 'good lad' and don't want you to be sold.

It is weird to see players like Ridgewell and Bassong moving when we need a CB badly. I just hope it's because we have a signing lined up for the summer. 

I wonder if we asked about Bassong but he refused to return ?

Cisse will be on par with Shola this year by that logic.

Not really. Shola might know our system and the personality of his team mates but never seems to be bothered actually using that information.

As I said last night, we were never ever going to go back in for Bassong after the bad taste he left with some of the current squad and owners.

That being said, we should've moved for Ridgewell or a similarly capable back up.

Not too bothered though. Perchy is getting better.

most of that squad is gone, and we sold him for 8m after 1 year, paying him no wages and 500k for him so i doubt the board have much problems with him

what was the massive fallout? may nullify what iv just said. i'm sure it could perhaps have been recoverable

Heard the same from people near the top as well. The most interesting snippet being that Bassong "poisoned" Beye into leaving along with him and was generally quite disruptive during his final weeks with us angling for a move away. Don't think Mike and Dekka are the type to forgive and forget easily, either.

Shame really, when we'd took the chance on him in the first place by bringing him over from the French second division and he'd been such a hit with the fans here.

Guest Roger Kint

The fact we werent even linked suggests the clubs top brass have made it clear there was no chance in him returning. Wouldnt surprise me with the way Ashley & Dekka carry on.

I definitely think the Mariappa/Williamson comparison is more realistic. The Forest fans seemed to like Perch because he was a "good lad" rather than his football ability. Mariappa is liked by the Watford fans because of his ability.

Really though?

If your s***... fans don't like you just because your a 'good lad' and don't want you to be sold.

I never said he was shit at Forest, just not very highly rated. Most like Lovenkrands btw...

Window ≠Aperture

Close ≠cease to exist.

Annoying me for some reason.

It's just a joke mate, people were discussing the possibility of it being a window or a door. You had to be there really.

I don't know details, but one of my best friends knows the girl Bassong was dating at the time, and she said that he'd fallen out with the board and several senior players, apparently Colo being one of them (along with the usual suspects... Smith, Barton, Nolan etc). Don't shoot the messenger like, cos I have no way of verifying how true this is, but that's what she told him.

Heard the same from people near the top as well. The most interesting snippet being that Bassong "poisoned" Beye into leaving along with him and was generally quite disruptive during his final weeks with us angling for a move away. Don't think Mike and Dekka are the type to forgive and forget easily, either.

Shame really, when we'd took the chance on him in the first place by bringing him over from the French second division and he'd been such a hit with the fans here.

Huh, interesting. Wasn't really aware of this.

The "angling for a move" line about Bassong is a little hard to believe.

Newcastle had a business plan long before relegation was confirmed that had set out how they would financially operate in the event of relegation, and the number one asset to be sold was Bassong (along with Martins). There was never any chance of him being kept by the club at all, regardless of whether he was willing to stay.

That's not to say that he didn't try and convince others to come with him though...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Content. After the Maiga deal collapse we all anticipated no movement (striker on the back burner, not enough time to find a centre half). We've got one of the positions we needed filled and seemingly with a quality forward. It's risky going with two centre halves obviously though and it's a shame we couldn't add Mariappa.

Happy. The Cisse signing shows some positive intent to invest cash in the 'right' player(s) which we've not seen on that level since Ashleys first season in charge.

This could be a fundamental milestone imho.

Delighted would've meant bringing some defensive cover and jizzing with joy would've been due to the arrival a decent replacement fullback for Simpson.

Overall though happy. Cisse in and no big guns out is good enough for me and shows that when the player and the deal are right then we'll invest.

Looking forward to the summer window with some optimism which is a first in many a long year.