Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

“What I do know is that in training, his finishing is a huge asset. The problem that we’ve got at the moment is that we’re not creating enough chances for him.

“We’re not getting him in a position [to score]. So there’s no point in him being on the pitch if we’re not able to dominate the game and create chances where he can bring out what’s best in him.

you don't say

play ben arfa, ba & cisse and let them play football then you f***ing buffoon - it'll work itself out

Aye, it's that simple. Any excuse.

Guest Tyson

We're playing with a man short when Pardew goes the direct route. The ball just doesn't stick and I doubt Cisse himself relishes having any of the back 5 pick him out to get on the end of one of their punts.

Yesterday I said at half time we'd be better off swapping him for Shola if thats the style of play favoured by the manager. Its awful to watch and goes nowhere near bringing the best out of Cisse.

Agree 100%. It's money p*ssed down the drain (and managers are rarely handed 10m by this regime, in one hit) trying to get the best out him, if Pardew persists with the hoof-ball style of play. He'll be the most expensive casualty under the current conditions, as was the case re- Owen under Fat Sam & Kinnear.

In a pass & move style system he'd no doubt shine. Under Hughton coaching there was a happy medium, or balance, between the on-the-deck approach and the direct route, even with Carrol's target-man presence up top. Hughton, with the same playing list at his disposal, would be extracting alot more out of this group.

I had the pleasure of watching this bloke, in Germany, a couple of times. I'm glad somebody raised the worth of his link-up play & work-rate in the deeper attacking slot, because it's something i noticed. Much like Defoe this area of his game is very underrated, probably due to the praise he has received in other categories ie. clever movement in & around the box, single-minded strikers' instinct, clinical finisher with both feet.

When we splashed out 10m+ on Martins, and that was warranted gamble, we really bought into what was a legacy. And that legacy was written at Highbury a few seasons earlier, when Martins killed a seasoned rearguard with pace, movement and quality finishing. There was huge potential there at the time, but he didn't really kick-on after that. He polarised supporters at Inter. Many felt he didn't get a proper chance, as a bit-part impact player off the bench. Likewise many believed he didn't show the required 'football smarts' needed to breach the highly organised (and deeper sitting) Serie A defensive units. His raw talent was worth the gamble, and the price of admission. The lack of a footballing-brain, or smarts, prevented him from becoming a more polished article.

Whereas this bloke/Cisse is a finished product, and as gambles go (and that's the nature of what is a highly speculative market) there's much less risk here, in a suitable playing system. A game i watched him this season was Freiburg v Dortmund. Dortmund tonked them tbh, but they'll kill any side which is suspect defensively, and Freiburg fall into this category. There was one instance where Cisse ghosted in to the box (from the left channel) and a deep cross was swung-in from the right. You could've confused the final ball, as a deliberate switch of the play, such is the quality on show in the Germany from the wide channels. A forward with less in the way of ball-striking ability, and confidence, would've taken that ball (going across his body, at pace, on to his weaker foot) down before trying to slot his shot through/or around a closing defender with the right. In this instance he took an aerial ball, at pace & going across his body, and volleyed first-time with his non-preferred foot. It was an audacious attempt on goal, a clean strike, but ultimately off-target. However the ball-striking quality & single-minded finisher's mindset was there to see, same applies to the movement on show. It was top drawer stuff tbh.

But a physical brand of anti-football, as seen atm under Pardew and previously under the likes of Kinnear, Fat Sam & Souness can kill the spirit of a pure footballer.

The entwined journeys of Ba and Cisse

(FIFA.com) Saturday 17 March 2012

Print Email my friend Share

It’s amazing how two people, entirely unconnected and from completely different starting points in life, can follow such similar paths to a common point. That is exactly what has happened with Newcastle United’s new Senegalese strike duo, Demba Ba and Papiss Demba Cisse.

Born just a week apart, but on opposite sides of the world, their lives have run almost in tandem, slowly edging towards each other from 2,500 miles away, culminating in an embrace after Cisse scored on his Magpies debut. Both, however, had to fight through their own hardships to reach this point of coalescence, learning their craft in France, making their names in Germany and eventually uniting on Tyneside. FIFA.com looks back on the their journeys.

French and German stop-offs

Born and raised in Dakar, Cisse was a regular child from a large family, playing football in the streets from an early age. While well-schooled, his background was by no means affluent and he had to wait until joining a local academy before owning his first pair of boots.

Having impressed in his first season at Douanes Dakar, he was snapped up by French top-flight side Metz. As the club yo-yoed between Ligue 1 and 2, he fluctuated between spells on loan and time with his parent club. When given the consistency of Les Grenats, the goals flowed - he was also on target on his Senegal debut - and it was enough for the 23-year-old Cisse to be plucked from the second tier by Bundesliga side Freiburg.

Despite finding success in Europe, he hasn’t forgotten where he has come from and helps support a massive extended family back home. “I’m the only one who has the opportunity to help my family financially," explained Cisse. "I have 65-70 relatives in Casamance in south Senegal. What should I do?

“I have learnt to play football, so I can help now. I built the family a large house, I support the purchase of food and electricity, and especially help out when someone is sick.”

Ba, by contrast, was born in the Parisian suburb of Sevres, the sixth of seven children to Senegalese immigrants. He feels, despite the geographical separation, he and Cisse had a similar upbringing: “We're from the same country, we live the same way as well. Both of our parents are from Senegal, even though I grew up in France, I always lived like I was in Senegal.”

Ba's talent was quickly apparent and he joined his first academy in Le Havre at the age of seven, operating as a defensive midfielder initially, but suffered rejection from a succession of clubs. He eventually gained his footing at French fourth-tier side Rouen, starting his journey to the upper echelons of football from the bottom.

Ba told FIFA.com that even though his beginnings were humble, he knew he possessed the ability to make it: “I had everything I needed to succeed, it just took time. The time I needed to get to where I am today.”

Cisse may have already made a fleeting appearance in Ligue 1, but after a prolific season Ba’s talents were beginning to register, being taken to the Belgian top division with Mouscron. He started well, but a nasty double leg break for the then 21-year-old put him out of the game for eight months. On returning, though, the goals began to flow again, earning him his first Senegal cap – along with a debut goal – and his move to Hoffenheim in the German second tier.

We're from the same country, we live the same way as well. Both of our parents are from Senegal, even though I grew up in France, I always lived like I was in Senegal.

Demba Ba on the similarities between his upbringing and Papiss Demba Cisse's

Ba settled well and helped them to promotion during his first season in Germany, before flourishing in the Bundesliga. Hoffenheim exceeded expectations by finishing sixth, with Ba’s 14 goals attracting the interest of Stuttgart. However, a failed medical and a season disrupted by injury made the 2009/10 season much less fruitful.

Cisse arrived in the January of that campaign for €1.5m, having “wanted to play in Germany at all costs”. He slotted in well, scoring a brace in Freiburg’s final match against Borussia Dortmund to mark successfully escaping relegation.

The following season he began to blossom majestically, his stock rising dramatically in the league just as Ba’s was falling. Cisse would go on to break Tony Yeboah’s record for an African in Germany by netting 22 times in the league, finishing second behind leading marksman Mario Gomez. Fittingly, one of these goals would come in the only time the Senegalese pair have faced off, as Freiburg beat Hoffenheim 1-0 in one of Ba’s final games.

England calling

Ba was destined for the Premier League following an ignominious fall-out with Hoffenheim’s hierarchy, but not without more rejection beforehand. With almost all the details ironed out he was set for a £7m move to Stoke City, but another failed medical – relating to a knee problem dating back to surgery on his broken leg – saw him shot down again. West Ham United nonetheless sealed a last-minute agreement to save him from potential isolation in Germany.

Half a season in London was enough to tempt Newcastle into bringing the 6ft 2ins striker north, having scored ten in 12 games for the Hammers. Ba has has been an instant success, scoring 16 times so far this season, including two hat-tricks. Manager Alan Pardew admitted that had he known Ba would make such a stunning impact, he would have been handed the club's hallowed No9 jersey instead of the No19. The former shirt went to Cisse when he joined from Freiburg for an undisclosed fee in January

“I have been told all about Alan Shearer, and of course I know what a good player he was for England too," said Cisse. "There are others too, and I know what a special number it is and how privileged I am to be wearing it.”

After a disappointing trip to the CAF Africa Cup of Nations, where Senegal lost all three of their group games, the pair made their first-ever club appearance alongside one another against Aston Villa. Coming on as substitute, Cisse marked his first showing in front of the fans with a stunning left-footed volley, adding to Ba’s opener in a 2-1 win.

It was the moment their 26-year journeys through life and club football finally coincided. Newcastle fans will be hoping it was a sign of what’s to come from their Senegalese tandem.

We're playing with a man short when Pardew goes the direct route. The ball just doesn't stick and I doubt Cisse himself relishes having any of the back 5 pick him out to get on the end of one of their punts.

Yesterday I said at half time we'd be better off swapping him for Shola if thats the style of play favoured by the manager. Its awful to watch and goes nowhere near bringing the best out of Cisse.

I had the pleasure of watching this bloke, in Germany, a couple of times. I'm glad somebody raised the worth of his link-up play & work-rate in the deeper attacking slot, because it's something i noticed. Much like Defoe this area of his game is very underrated, probably due to the praise he has received in other categories ie. clever movement in & around the box, single-minded strikers' instinct, clinical finisher with both feet.

That's an interesting point, because he does look capable of adapting his role to our team's requirements and Premiership football. He looks like a decent all-rounder who has the skill and the mobility to drop a bit deeper to link with the midfield.

I don't really like the idea of an Owen-like poacher who's there just to finish off chances created by others. It feels a bit old-fashioned for the level that we're aiming for.

“We’re not getting him in a position [to score]. So there’s no point in him being on the pitch if we’re not able to dominate the game and create chances where he can bring out what’s best in him.

Hideous. If that's the criteria then we may never see him again.

Incredibly harsh to be judging him like this when he hasn't even had a full game yet, despite scoring a few goals.

He's going to be shit unless we're able to keep possession better. To me, his first touch is very good but he's not a target man so launching balls up to him is ridiculous. Did Pardew not scout him at all before signing him?

He has a bit of pace and his movement looks excellent. His first touch is good and he's shown an ability to drop back and lay a ball off with one touch, which means that he'd be effective if we play the ball into his feet closer to the goal.

Ba is also better with the ball at his feet rather than launched up at him, so we really need to keep the ball better and try to pass it around.

He's going to be s*** unless we're able to keep possession better. To me, his first touch is very good but he's not a target man so launching balls up to him is ridiculous. Did Pardew not scout him at all before signing him?

He has a bit of pace and his movement looks excellent. His first touch is good and he's shown an ability to drop back and lay a ball off with one touch, which means that he'd be effective if we play the ball into his feet closer to the goal.

Ba is also better with the ball at his feet rather than launched up at him, so we really need to keep the ball better and try to pass it around.

Criminal if he doesn't start tomorrow. I agree with everything you are saying.

Is it just me or is Pardew being really thick drawing attention to this?  Cisse's only been available to play for our last 5 games.  Yet another example of where I'd just like Pardew to shut the fuck up once in a while.

Aye, don't get what he's trying to do here, obviously it was just two sentences or so in a press conference that's been turned into an article but he still needs to be careful saying things like this IMO.  Not saying it will derail our season but it can't help that much.

Maybe we should get some language teachers at the training ground anyway, Jonas and Colo still can't even speak English that well!

Aye, don't get what he's trying to do here, obviously it was just two sentences or so in a press conference that's been turned into an article but he still needs to be careful saying things like this IMO.  Not saying it will derail our season but it can't help that much.

Maybe we should get some language teachers at the training ground anyway, Jonas and Colo still can't even speak English that well!

Don't think I've ever heard Colo speak but Jonas is pretty good, heavily accented though which makes it sound worse than it is.

Guest Tyson

Pardew's point about Bundesliga centrehalves (by comparing the difference in 'physical' play) is irrelevant, if you're coaching a pass-and-move gameplan, where your strikers' movement (and Ba & Cisse can alternate) originates from the deeper slots. A centrehalf won't track a forward/striker that far away from the box, otherwise the back four's defensive shape is severely compromised. That defensive duty, or tracking for the want of a better term, rests on the shoulders of the team's floating DM - a DeJong or Tiote. Even then that DM can't be everywhere at one time, that's why i'd like to see Ben Arfa switched permanently to the right with the license to roam inside. That would give the floating DM plenty of headaches, and spread the focus of attack in the hole between the midfield and the last line of defense.

Cisse has a good enough 1st touch, turn of pace & change of direction to create a shooting cushion for himself in any league tbh. Those attributes are not that difficult to spot. Pardew's comment holds weight if you want the bloke contesting 50/50's, with his back to goal for 90mins. If this is Pardew's intention, which looks likely going by previous outings, then it's a criminal misuse of a ball-playing footballer.

Reading into the catchphrase that Cisse is struggling to adapt to English Football. It's spot-on with the inclusion of Crazy Gang Football, or if this scenario was 20+ years ago.

So there’s no point in him being on the pitch

:jesuswept:

My patience with Pardew is almost exhausted.

Instead of playing to the strengths of the players he has, Cabaye, Arfa, Cisse, Ba - he's rather try to mould them into whatever the fuck he thinks football is to the detriment of all.