sunderland

JH

That's fair enough Mick but you've not taken the North Sea into account, or death.

Good point, taking that into account, they've had a higher average crowd than us 21 times, we've had a higher average 88 times.  :lol:

Loads of em on an SMB thread claiming their away support (both historically and now) is bigger than ours. Priceless.

they are doing this because we had 50 thousand yesterday- and away fans are more difficult to measure- find statistics about.

they also bang on about pre 92 crowd bollox, but when you look at the 2o years before 92- we had higher averages, around 10k higher than them. and a few seasons in 70s and 80s we were 3rd best in country- even when in lower division.

Summary-Mackems lie about crowds to feel better.

Love it when they refer to us as the 92ers like no one went to SJP pre-Keegan  :lol:

Recently on some site, someone bothered their arse to do the stats and concluded that their gates have actually risen more percentage wise since 1992 than ours have  :kasper:

The main reason for that of course was the very low base level they were coming from, and the shiny new, cheap and nasty new flatpack stadium effect when their gates shot up. Judging from the vast open spaces down there lately and the desperation of the one pound and free ticket schemes their attendances could be back down to Roker Park levels before too long.

On the very first day of the Premier League, we had the highest attendance even though we were in Division 1 and had finished 5th bottom the previous season.

:smugdog:

never knew that stat, cant remember who we played? West ham? maybe- only missed bristol City at home that season the crowd was locked out by around 12-30.

On the very first day of the Premier League, we had the highest attendance even though we were in Division 1 and had finished 5th bottom the previous season.

never knew that stat, cant remember who we played? West ham? maybe- only missed bristol City at home that season the crowd was locked out by around 12-30.

Beat Southend 3-2. 28,545 at that game and we beat that number quite a few times that season.

http://www.nufc.com/html/1992-93.html

Beat Southend 3-2. 28,545 at that game and we beat that number quite a few times that season.

ah, yeah did bracewell hit a cracking goal in taht one?

Think so. Just outside the box maybe. I had that season review video memorised for years but it's mostly been replaced by the more recent sewage we've been served.

was one long promotion party :lol:. loved the away games that season.

I missed one away game all season, Notts County.  I was supposed to be going on the supporters buses but went out the night before and had far too much to drink and missed my bus.

was one long promotion party :lol:. loved the away games that season.

I missed one away game all season, Notts County.  I was supposed to be going on the supporters buses but went out the night before and had far too much to drink and missed my bus.

That was class notts county, filled that big end- toon supporters in full voice whole game. proper falling down the stands pissed aswell :lol:

That was class notts county, filled that big end- toon supporters in full voice whole game. proper falling down the stands p*ssed aswell :lol:

My favourite away games that season were probably Peterborough and Cambridge, Barnsley was always a good day out but the result wasn't good and we usually did well against them.

That was class notts county, filled that big end- toon supporters in full voice whole game. proper falling down the stands p*ssed aswell :lol:

My favourite away games that season were probably Peterborough and Cambridge, Barnsley was always a good day out but the result wasn't good and we usually did well against them.

aye pterbrough was canny, barnsley my exhaust fell off the car on the way. millwall and grimsby were pretty good as they lasted about 3 days each.

the oxford game at home on the tuesday, or thursday night after grimsby- was weird. only thing I can remember is that bloke and his keys. :lol:

Think so. Just outside the box maybe. I had that season review video memorised for years but it's mostly been replaced by the more recent sewage we've been served.

He did. Like Venison I didn't realise how good a footballer Bracewell was until watching him regularly.

Back on attendances, for a long time and before the rise of ManU we had the record for the highest ever average attendance in English football, 59K plus and achieved in the old second division iirc.  Amazingly, and no doubt deleted from mackem history books, it was before 1992.

He did. Like Venison I didn't realise how good a footballer Bracewell was until watching him regularly.

Back on attendances, for a long time and before the rise of ManU we had the record for the highest ever average attendance in English football, 59K plus and achieved in the old second division iirc.  Amazingly, and no doubt deleted from mackem history books, it was before 1992.

Our highest average was 1947-48 set in the 2nd division, it was 56299.

Four years before Keegan was born  :kasper: Best not tell the mackems as it upsets their version of history  :lol:

Was that the season we averaged  something like 49000 for Central league games, a record for reserve team football that will probably never be broken.

Was that the season we averaged  something like 49000 for Central league games, a record for reserve team football that will probably never be broken.

I'm not sure about that 49,000, I do remember reading something about a record attendance for a reserves game but can't remember who it was against or what the attendance was.

A bit of trivia which may or may not be out of date.  We held the record for the two highest attendances for games abandoned in English football, 63,000 against Swansea and 54,500 against Forest.

aye pterbrough was canny, barnsley my exhaust fell off the car on the way. millwall and grimsby were pretty good as they lasted about 3 days each.

the oxford game at home on the tuesday, or thursday night after grimsby- was weird. only thing I can remember is that bloke and his keys. :lol:

Freaky, but the only time I've had an exhaust fall off on me was on the way to... Barnsley away (90-91).

Not sure what world the Mackems live in. Even in 90-91 (post play-off defeat) we would routinely take 7000-plus away anywhere remotely northern.

Favourite pre KK awaydays: West Ham (1-8 defeat 86), Sheff Wed boxing day (86?), Spurs (cup fifth round 87), Man U (Mirandinha 2-2 87).

Freaky, but the only time I've had an exhaust fall off on me was on the way to... Barnsley away (90-91).

Not sure what world the Mackems live in. Even in 90-91 (post play-off defeat) we would routinely take 7000-plus away anywhere remotely northern.

Favourite pre KK awaydays: West Ham (1-8 defeat 86), Sheff Wed boxing day (86?), Spurs (cup fifth round 87), Man U (Mirandinha 2-2 87).

was at them the spurs one been discussed a few times on here for the crush.

was at them the spurs one been discussed a few times on here for the crush.

Crazy day. Had our lot not forced their way into the two pens the two coppers wanted kept empty, people would have died.

Unbelievable atmosphere. Spurs-supporting mate of mine was on their "Shelf" and reckoned the structure of the away end was swaying during the Blaydon Races. Hell on afterwards as well. Great fun for a 16-y-old!!