sunderland

JH

They have a thread on Naming a stand after Niall Quinn, who scored 29 goals for them in the Premier League. Off the top of my head Speed and Solano scored more than that for us in the league. Shows how small their pitiful club is.

Naming a stand after him is a bit excessive like! Crazy fools. But tbf, his partnership with ratboy was lethal (the mackems' good times really).

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Invest+In+Africa+Launch+Event+x-OYYLeMC0hl.jpg

Didn't realise this was something they've been a part of for a while.

What the fuck is that smile? :lol:

It does sound like a good idea though tbh  :undecided:

Guest WashyGeordie

What was that stuff about the ground name? Wind up?

http://www.busiweek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2418%3Atullow-to-list-on-use&catid=104%3Auganda&Itemid=1364

'Tullow Oil has started a programme in Ghana where it has partnered with English Premier League club Sunderland to sponsor all secondary school football activities and this will also be the case in Uganda. As a result, Sunderland's Stadium, originally known as 'Stadium of Light' will be renamed to 'Invest in Africa Stadium'.

How did it get to be called the Stadium of Light in the first place?

It's a really, really cringeworthy name in any case. How small time, calling your new ground the same thing as that of a big club in Europe.

mackem vote, like their new nickname. :facepalm:

They even got the copycat name wrong as it's named after the Lisbon suburb it's in. Not like we can talk these days.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm having a bad night.

How did it get to be called the Stadium of Light in the first place?

It's a really, really cringeworthy name in any case. How small time, calling your new ground the same thing as that of a big club in Europe.

Think it's because it's built on the site of the old Monkwearmouth colliery, miners lamps and all that? The name's still an unoriginal rip off though.

Still remember the Look North story that reported that the ground was going to be called the SOL. It was a live broadcast from outside the ground and there were audible gasps and groans when the name was announced. :lol:

Still remember the Look North story that reported that the ground was going to be called the SOL. It was a live broadcast from outside the ground and there were audible gasps and groans when the name was announced. :lol:

Bloke I worked with at the time nearly totalled the car we were in when it came on the radio. THE FUCKING WHAT??

:lol:

Didn't they shine massive lights from the ground into the sky for a while when it was first built? Or have I just made that up?

Yep, said the lights would always be on to shine as a beacon.

Then they got their first electric bill.

Didn't they shine massive lights from the ground into the sky for a while when it was first built? Or have I just made that up?

If the lights spelt out FTM in the sky you are probably right.

Wireside got changed into a tracksuit in a phonebox when he saw it.

After looking on Wiki, it claims that Quinn scored 29 Premier League goals for Sunderland in 5 seasons.

Here is a selection of our players with similar totals who have played in the last 30 years.

Laurent Robert

Kieron Dyer

Obafemi Martins

Gary Speed

Kenny Wharton

Neil McDonald

Petition to rename the East Stand "The Wharton End"?