sunderland

JH

I love how they crow on about that win by the way, it really is sad. Back then NUFC and sunderland were nothing like the rivals we are today despite actually both competing for the title and other honours and even the same players, Hughie Gallacher for example was courted by the mackems when we were after him and indeed when he was our player. We were friendly neighbours whose fans on both sides would travel the 12 or so mile distance to watch each other when their own team was playing away. My grandad being one of those people.

Weird thing, I was watching some old Auf Wiedersehen Pet episodes last night and the one where Sunderland are playing in Belgium against Liege came on.  Dennis and Oz went along to cheer them on and got on well with the Sunderland fans there and even wore Sunderland scarves.  My dad when I was growing up displayed none of the animosity towards them we see now, he used to say he wanted all the north east teams to do well.

I just wonder how much the hatred and bitterness has been stoked by the sky hype and how much was genuinely there pre 92.  A little before my time so maybe some of our elder brethren can enlighten us.

It was very common for north east lads to look out for each other when working away from home in those types of situations. I'd argue it might even be the same now to some extent. I wore an NUFC top in New York City for a day, the only other guy I saw wearing a football top was a mackem, we passed each other in the street and had a quick chat, was good craic actually.

I once saw Tim Healy after a theatre show at the Live Theatre and questioned him about that ep of Auf Pet.

His answers were a right load of waffle. Plus he's tiny.

I can remember back to the 70s, my dad taking me to matches. There was deffo ridiculing of them back then, and the hostilty was very real. proper fighting fans in the streets. My first clear memory is of NYD 80, 3-1 win , can remember Havoc outside. my dad took me to derbies home and away beofre that but dont have clear memories, apart from walking to Roker as very young kid.

I once saw Tim Healy after a theatre show at the Live Theatre and questioned him about that ep of Auf Pet.

His answers were a right load of waffle. Plus he's tiny.

i was told that the original plan was to have the sunderlnad fans a lot more rowdy and Ian la frenais would rather portray them like that then us. probably bollocks like.

Not being a Geordie, I have no great antipathy for Sunderland. They're a solid, unspectacular club. Like most clubs, they have a few irritating characters every generation (and an offensively moronic online representation) but they're alright for the most part.

Sure, Cattermole is a numbskull and Artie Ziff grates on me personally (his intransigence in the face of logic/truth reminds me a bit of Dalglish tbh), but by the sake token I completely understand that Pardew isn't well liked outside of whatever club he happens to be at too!

They're not detestable on the levels of Liverpool, Chelsea or Man City though. It'd be quite nice if there were more camaraderie between the clubs - as SBR felt there ought to have been - but 2012 doesn't seem like an era conducive to that sort of relationship with another team in the same division as you, let alone a local rival.

madras is absolutely right about the 9-1 stuff. Imagine having to resort to material from 1908 for some decent face-rubbing of your local rival. You would hope, however, that most of them that go on about 9-1 are doing it for bites not because they really believe it has any significance whatsoever. Even then though, it's pretty self-deprecating for them if you give it any thought at all.

When I say 'them', I mean RTG. Never spent much time in Sunderland, but know a few Sunderland fans who - while not my favourite people - are not morons. Refuse to believe RTG to be a representative sample of Sunderland. Surprised the majority of users on there have figured out how to use their computers. It must be quite sad that reasonable Sunderland fans have no decent online forum (or, more optimistically - it's too exclusive for RTG-calibre posters to find).

No offence intended at all Beren but that perfectly encaptures the difference between locals and "out of towners."

I think for local NUFC fans, this is the fixture that means the most by a million miles. The likes of Liverpool and Chelsea don't even come close IMO.

No offence intended at all Beren but that perfectly encaptures the difference between locals and "out of towners."

I think for local NUFC fans, this is the fixture that means the most by a million miles. The likes of Liverpool and Chelsea don't even come close IMO.

No offence taken :thup: Understandable.

Pretty much this, If we are playing any of the clubs mentioned, i will discuss it with a few people, gimp etc, on here, but thats it till the day of the game. But This game ,I cant get away from it at work, in bed,thinking about it, in the bath earlier I was having PTSD type flash backs to 90 :lol:

Obsessed? yes I plead guilty. bring it on ya Mackem shits.

They were very much a yo yo team at the time and whilst we had our year in the CL they had their 15 point season.

It was still the fixture I wanted to win more than any other. If anything the game down there was mildly disappointing, they were shite but we only won 1-0 with a Nobby penalty. Bellamy missed a shit load of chances and there was an awful moment at the end when Kevin Kyle thought he'd scored only for it to be ruled out.

How strong was your hate for them when we were in the CL, cp40/Otter? (Keegan or SBR) Sincere question.

it was more fun, cos I was 100% confident of the result then.

i wasn't, just the fear of losing was too much but they were much easier to take as they would play us and losing by a couple would be seen as a good result.

also the internets role can't be underplayed. in the week leading up to those games i'd have banter with a mag or two at work and normal conversations with another couple/ now thoughyou are open to every idiotic utterance from either side making it seem much more intense.

Otter, I know you're currently in Manchester and you do the journey to all the home games...but are you an actual Newcastle lad? Genuine question :)

Yes, born and raised. Moved down here when I was 29.

They were very much a yo yo team at the time and whilst we had our year in the CL they had their 15 point season.

It was still the fixture I wanted to win more than any other. If anything the game down there was mildly disappointing, they were s**** but we only won 1-0 with a Nobby penalty. Bellamy missed a s*** load of chances and there was an awful moment at the end when Kevin Kyle thought he'd scored only for it to be ruled out.

great piece of radio commentary for that "SIT DOWN, IT'S  DISALLOWED"

How strong was your hate for them when we were in the CL, cp40/Otter? (Keegan or SBR) Sincere question.

it was more fun, cos I was 100% confident of the result then.

i wasn't, just the fear of losing was too much but they were much easier to take as they would play us and losing by a couple would be seen as a good result.

also the internets role can't be underplayed. in the week leading up to those games i'd have banter with a mag or two at work and normal conversations with another couple/ now thoughyou are open to every idiotic utterance from either side making it seem much more intense.

100% this :snod:

agreed

It's actually been quite nice these last few years in the build up to this game as I'm out if the bubble and the hype is dampened a little bit. Been busy at work too which means I've not given this game as much thought as usual.

Come Saturday though when I'm travelling up, the nerves will kick in.

they have done something we have never done....played in division 3.  Facts That Matter.

And I went to the game which saw them relegated, along with a canny few others.  Another fact that matters, Sunderland have never had a section of St James' during a game when they weren't playing like we had against Gillingham.

Was it true that at the final whistle of that Gillingham game, some NUFC fans revealed their colours?

Would have loved to have seen that.

It was very common for north east lads to look out for each other when working away from home in those types of situations. I'd argue it might even be the same now to some extent. I wore an NUFC top in New York City for a day, the only other guy I saw wearing a football top was a mackem, we passed each other in the street and had a quick chat, was good craic actually.

I spent 3 years living and working in the midlands and was told another Geordie worked for the company I was at.  It turned out that he was a mackem so I had to educate the locals that he wasn't a Geordie and had to explaim what a mackem was.  The bloke was a right knacker and I had massive arguments about football as they had the best fans, with smaller gates then us.  Sunderland town was better than our city and they had a better team, even when we were beating them, he was a tosser.

It was still the fixture I wanted to win more than any other. If anything the game down there was mildly disappointing, they were s**** but we only won 1-0 with a Nobby penalty. Bellamy missed a s*** load of chances and there was an awful moment at the end when Kevin Kyle thought he'd scored only for it to be ruled out.

great piece of radio commentary for that "SIT DOWN, IT'S  DISALLOWED"

:lol:

Was class that.

Was that Justin Lockwood or whatever he's called?

Credit to the fella at 3-0 at half time during the 5-1 he came on at half time shouting at the mackems "are you lot still here!?" :lol:

Was it true that at the final whistle of that Gillingham game, some NUFC fans revealed their colours?

We had our colours on all game and were singing Newcastle songs all through the game, it was like a Newcastle away game. 

I kid you not, I was standing next to a bloke in the Clock Stand who had a kid on his shoulders who could have been no more than 5 years old.  I asked him why he had taken his kid, he said because the match was of historical imporatance and he wanted his son to be able to talk about it for the rest of his life.

I spent 3 years living and working in the midlands and was told another Geordie worked for the company I was at.  It turned out that he was a mackem so I had to educate the locals that he wasn't a Geordie and had to explaim what a mackem was.  The bloke was a right knacker and I had massive arguments about football as they had the best fans, with smaller gates then us.  Sunderland town was better than our city and they had a better team, even when we were beating them, he was a tosser.

i've met a few mackems like that, however as you know them longer the defences drop and they do fess up a bit more (in my experience that is). had we been in their shadow for the majority of the last 40yrs or so it could've been us.

We had our colours on all game and were singing Newcastle songs all through the game, it was like a Newcastle away game. 

I kid you not, I was standing next to a bloke in the Clock Stand who had a kid on his shoulders who could have been no more than 5 years old.  I asked him why he had taken his kid, he said because the match was of historical imporatance and he wanted his son to be able to talk about it for the rest of his life.

i wasn't there but i know that ties were kept between us and gillingham for a while with some of them coming up for our games and regularly turning out for london games and a bus load of mags went down there a few times.