Switching to 4-3-3/4-5-1 permanently.

Shak

The game passed Jonas by last weekend in the more central role.

It's like he was getting in the way of everyone else and not really knowing what to do with himself.

Get him to hug the touchline and it's a role he doesn't have to think about, stick him in the middle and he's all at sea.

I an't agree with that.

When Jonas has played in midfield he's set up some lovely passes, can change the direction of the ball and run right at the heart of the opponents defence. When he's on the wing he only runs down the line, he can't cross, comes back looking for someone behind him to cross and if he does get forced into crossing it's pretty poor. Jonas in the middle works much better than Jonas on the wing.

I still don't think Ba is really suited to the role he played yesterday, but he's working hard for the team and as long as the system as a whole works I guess it's worth the sacrifice.

Really? I think he's brilliant at it, not really sure what more he needs to play there?

I still don't think Ba is really suited to the role he played yesterday, but he's working hard for the team and as long as the system as a whole works I guess it's worth the sacrifice.

Really? I think he's brilliant at it, not really sure what more he needs to play there?

He can do it, but I don't think it gets the best out of him. I know he likes to drop deep, but I think he's more threatening central and further forward.

Might be exaggerating because he hasn't scored for a while mind, a goal or two would be great for him.

Think he's good there too. Works hard up and down the pitch, good at linking up and obviously an outstanding finisher.

I think he's shown promise. Put it this way, I'd love to see the line-up that played Fulham off the park first half only with Ba and Cissé in for Best and Ameobi.

Didn't get to see the game yesterday but is this pretty much what we went with, in terms of midfield and attack at least?

Was Jonas the most advanced of the midfield trio? Had doubts that he would be a good fit in the middle in the long term but just looking at the highlights he looked heavily involved and picked out some quality passes playing central.

How did the front three line up? Ben Arfa in the hole or was he out wide mostly?

Tiote in for Guthrie and a couple of new defenders and this could be looking very tasty. :)

A lot of people have wanted to see this.

Does anyone remember what formation we began preseason with? Before Ben Arfa did his ankle.... was it not 4 3 3?

I agree Venk. It limits his goalscoring threat a bit but his allround game is brilliant for that role. I thought he was superb there yesterday.

Agree. He also swapped with Cisse on occasion which was nice to see.

In time if we stick with that front 3 we will see a fluidity develop that allows them to interchange seamlessly  :shifty:

He can do it, but I don't think it gets the best out of him. I know he likes to drop deep, but I think he's more threatening central and further forward.

Might be exaggerating because he hasn't scored for a while mind, a goal or two would be great for him.

He's more threatening as a centre forward but I don't think that means he isn't suited to the role he played yesterday, just means he has more to his game. With Cisse the obvious choice for the middle spot it might be a shame for Ba in terms of goals scored but it makes us pretty frightening as a front 3, he may have to sacrifice the goals for a shot at being part of a team that could do something, no doubt he's the sort of character who'll realise which is the better option.

I would happily stick with what we put out yesterday for the rest of the season (minus Simpson)- especially away from home. I thought we maximised our pace and movement and we counter attacked fantastically.

I agree Venk. It limits his goalscoring threat a bit but his allround game is brilliant for that role. I thought he was superb there yesterday.

He can play brilliantly there, and he did. It's not one I could see him doing long-term, unless they switched it up a bit mid-game and had some interchangeable roles. Otherwise, not sure he has the lungs(/knees!) to do that 90 minutes 40+ games a season!

Guest ThievingMagpie

Fuck it lads, lets just go 4-2-2-2

Santon    Colo  S.Taylor/CB    LB

Tiote      Cabaye

Ben Arfa          AM

Ba          Cisse

Attacking fullbacks, Tiote shields the back 4 and swoops up the ball and passes it to Cabaye who can drop it infront of Ba and Cisse from deep or make a short pass to our attacking midfielders who try and beat their man and get goals themselves.

Modern football is all about the 433.

With Hba/Cisse/Ba we have the tools to do it with some tweaking in the summer transfer window.

*Hba should have a loose AM free role as he did popping up on the left and so on...

Guest ThievingMagpie

The 3 man backline made a small minor comeback in Italy I don't see how in 2012 we can't just drag out the old 4-2-2-2 out of the closet. It's been about what 30 years since it was en vogue I think it can work in today's game. Or maybe I just like to see odd tactics work in modern football.

To me it should be 4-3-3..........

Krul

Santon New CB Colo New LB

Cabaye Tiote

New CM

HBA Cisse Ba

Have the front 3 interchanging as they all have the movement for it and it will keep the opponents guessing and make us highly unpredictable.

About Ba he plays the role fantastically, he may not score as many but quite frankly it doesnt matter who scores the goals as long as we win the games.

Also Ba was unlucky not get a couple yesterday, unfortunatly for him in the first goal he couldnt quite get there and Cisse tapped in and for Cisse's 2nd he slipped.

In point the front 3 will all score and create by the bucketloads that iam certain of and also they are all very different which is key imo.

Aslong as not scoring as much doesnt effect Ba mentally then i dont think it matters.

My FM formation is what it's all about folks!

Krul

Santon      Colo        Taylor        Ferguson

Tiote

Jonas                        Cabaye                       

Ben Arfa                      Ba

Cisse

I do start Vertonghen, Tremoulinas and Neymar instead or Taylor, Ferguson and Ba like, but the idea is the same.

With the right players, Ba can play on the left of a 3 away from home, but at home we could go like this (the 4-3-1-2, MoleToonfan suggested I think):

Ba    Cisse

Benarfa

NEW          Tiote        Cabaye

New            Colo            Taylor        Santon

Krul

Obviously the new players are very important here, the midfilders and fullbacks have to collectivley provide width when needed, actually It's very similar to how Keegan played us for that great run.

Just need to bring back Butt, Geremi and Barton... sorted :thup:

He played that position for Hoffenheim with Ibisevic in the centre and Obasi on the right. 

He played that position for Hoffenheim with Ibisevic in the centre and Obasi on the right. 

I didn't know that.

With the right players, Ba can play on the left of a 3 away from home, but at home we could go like this (the 4-3-1-2, MoleToonfan suggested I think):

Ba    Cisse

Benarfa

NEW          Tiote        Cabaye

New            Colo            Taylor        Santon

Krul

Obviously the new players are very important here, the midfilders and fullbacks have to collectivley provide width when needed, actually It's very similar to how Keegan played us for that great run.

Just need to bring back Butt, Geremi and Barton... sorted :thup:

Well at times the 4-3-3 changes into a 4-3-1-2 anyway i saw at times on quite a few occasions yesterday where Ben Arfa moved in centrally Ba joined up with Cisse.

It's such a fluid system and has such adaptable players that it allows to flow seamlessly from one system to another.

We obviously need depth in midfield and defence to make it work consistently but its a system that excites me.

Oh yh Ba has great experience outwide on the left, he did the job for West Ham and Hoffenheim i have no problems with that at all.....

And hes more of a Inside Left Forward than a winger, sort of how Barca's wide players are.

Guest MrSundlofer

I am happy with our style of play from yesterday and would like to continue with the 4-3-3 formation.

- The back four, two holding central midfielders, one creative central midfielder, two very attacking wingers and one striker.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Cissé - - - - - - - - - - -

- - Ba - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Ben Arfa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - Cabaye - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - Gutierrez- - - Tioté - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- XXXX - - - Coloccini - - - XXXX - - - XXXX -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - Krul - - - - - - - - - - -

We should be very happy if we can keep all these players for next season.

XXXX = We replaced José Enrique with Santon in this position but he's better as a right back? Pieters should be a good option here.

XXXX = We will most likely sign a central defender in the summer. He or Steven Taylor will play here. Squad rotation is always good.

XXXX = I don't trust Simpson. But is Santon ready?

Gutierrez = Can this be the new position for Gutierrez in this team? Benjamin Corgnet can surely do a job here.

If one of our attacking three gets injured we have Marveaux, Obertan, Best, Shola Ameobi and Sammy Ameobi as replacements + maybe some summer signings.

Basically, I'm  :thup: for the style of play we played yesterday. Finally.