Up and coming young managers around Europe.

Parky

Not really up and coming but Diego Simeone is probably worth a mention.

The jury's still out on him considering he was pretty poor at Catania, he needs to prove himself long-term in Europe at Atlético. They might just be experiencing a Sunderland-esque new manager 'pop'.

If Chelsea decide to get rid of Villas Boas they might take a stab at Mazzarri. His teams don't play pretty football (soak up pressure, lightining quick counter attacks), he always plays 3 at the back and can be very irritating (always moaning about referres and having excuses for his players when they lose) but in terms of team motivation, team discipline and physical conditioning he's top rate. Would also be a classic Chelsea flavour-of-the-month appointment considering he's about to knock them out of Europe. I personally hope for their sake they give AVB another season.

Among the 'up-and-coming' managers, Conte is definitely the most promising.

Pochettino at Espanyol?

Doing a great job there, but I'm sure he's the kind of manager that would struggle at a more ambitious club, Espanyol's offensive play is pretty uninspiring.

Very much a manager (like Simeone) who seems to set his teams to play up with the same characteristics he offered as a player.

Martinez is only 38, working with crap and has them playing decent football... and most surprisingly in this league. Over multiple seasons. Worth a shout.

Job at Wigan as long as he wants it apparently (as long as they stay in the PL).

Not really up and coming but Diego Simeone is probably worth a mention.

The jury's still out on him considering he was pretty poor at Catania, he needs to prove himself long-term in Europe at Atlético. They might just be experiencing a Sunderland-esque new manager 'pop'.

If Chelsea decide to get rid of Villas Boas they might take a stab at Mazzarri. His teams don't play pretty football (soak up pressure, lightining quick counter attacks), he always plays 3 at the back and can be very irritating (always moaning about referres and having excuses for his players when they lose) but in terms of team motivation, team discipline and physical conditioning he's top rate. Would also be a classic Chelsea flavour-of-the-month appointment considering he's about to knock them out of Europe. I personally hope for their sake they give AVB another season.

Among the 'up-and-coming' managers, Conte is definitely the most promising.

Why do you say that? Know he's doing well at Juve but he's been a mixed bag in the past.

His short career has been very positive so far, I wouldn't call him a mixed bag. He became famous for promoting Bari to Serie A despite being a native of (bitter rival town) Lecce, and then again getting Siena back to Serie A last year. On both occasions playing entertaining football. You might be talking about when he was booted out by Atalanta, but he's improved since, becoming more adaptable, varying from his usual '4-2-4' system and playing with many other formations. I'm mainly basing my assessment on the quality of football though; attacking, heavily possession-based, high energy, determined and dynamic. Transforming a chronically injury-hit team, coming off the two worst seasons in its history into title-contenders.

Montella at Catania also has the makings of a good manager, Roma might have done well sticking with him instead of trying to turn into Barcelona 2.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT

:lol:

I'm a coach not a manager.

Anyway, I believe a manager or the concept of the manager will become redunant soon and that current manager types like your O'Neills and Big Sam's will have to adapt or disappear.

Ironically, our own club, could be leading the way, without intentionally trying to do so of course in this matter.

It is clear at Newcastle that the owner and board do not trust the manager when it comes to signing players and with good reason, given just how much Michael Owen for example stood this club. What the club have done is to limit such huge wastes of money in the future by creating a system of recruitment which is based on scouting, character assessment and other factors first and should a player match this criteria, we'll then set ourselves a minimum and maximum fee we'll pay and likewise with wages and contract offer. As a result we are doing some fantastic business in player recruitment.

If you leave the manager in charge of buying and even selling, the decision to go for a player is often based on all of the following, past form, he may know the player or the player's agent, a hunch, and on attributes like pace or has a record of scoring goals. From a financial risk assessment point of view, its insane.

Look at the sums of money Steve Bruce wasted or Roy Keane and Graeme Souness at Newcastle Or O'Neill at Villa, despite relative success in terms of top 6 finishes.

Obviously your KK's and Sir Bobby's will get value for money more often than not from the transfer market but thats because they go for a certain player and have the skills to develop that player or make that player perform.

Those men are few and far between though.

You future manager will basically be a coach or a motivator, someone to pick the side. In many ways Pardew is that man.

The likes of Fergie who control everything will die with him.

Smaller clubs desperate to stay up or whatever will keep turning to managers, managers like Big Sam, Bruce and Mark Hughes who will demand full control and they'll get it but it will cost a lot financially, more than it would if investment was made in infrastructure and recruitment, scouting etc. Look at O'Neill at Villa, it cost them absolute fortunes to finish 6th a few times. Is it worth all that money, long term?

The best thing Ashley has done is developing our recruitment system and I hear very good things about our academy in terms of future development. Obviopusly its a money saving inititaive but its helping the football side massively too.

Mind, if KK was still our manager, I'd let him do the scouting and decision making when it comes to transfers, because the man has an eye for talent and gets the best out of that talent whether that player costs a few million or 15m.

As it is, however, for now this is the way and will become the way for all clubs and all managers.

Well, duh. :razz: Doesn't mean he's not an up and coming manager around Europe.

What's this based on exactly?

Success as Man Utd reserve manager, coming in and winning the first league title in history for the club he went to after in his first season. Fergie saying he's the one to watch of his former students and so on. For starters.