Fabrice Muamba retires from professional football

MW

Unbelievable.

Seriously...the medical profession can be fantastic. To think...our government under-funds these guys.

78 minutes! What a relief for his family.

All involved deserve massive praise but the main ones are probably those who looked after him on the pitch and on the way to hospital. Both clubs have done really well in this and have probably saved his life.

Two hours after [regaining consciousness] I whispered in his ear, 'What's your name?' and he said, 'Fabrice Muamba'. I said, 'I hear you're a really good footballer' and he said, 'I try'. I had a tear in my eye.

:aww:

Guest Howaythetoon

You all know what he f***ing means man :lol:

Honestly, people don't need to be asked twice to jump on the back of every flippant comment on here :laugh:

Thanks

To clarify I mean football needed a good story and this is an amazing story, one which has united the game in terms of one individual rather than the opposite of one individual splitting the game (Suarez). Obviously I don't mean its good a player nearly died but lived, I meant that its great such positive things have came from such an awful event. Football is better off now than before he collapsed. The two respective clubs showed a great deal of strength as did fans and indeed players the world over. Plus the medics and helpers.

I hope from this more importance is placed on the medics and a players' health. Even today players are playing with painkillers which could cause untold problems years down the line. Look at our own Shola, from what I've heard, his training is limited due to his hip which has never had the time to recover it needed to due to him playing on when injured with his hip.

Our doctors or doctors in general somewhere down the line OK these things in the game and I feel its wrong. If you or I had a hip injury which required medical care our doctor would state in no uncertain terms football should be avoided for x ammount of weeks/months. I broke my finger and I was told no football for 2 weeks in case the ball hit it. In football, its too easy for the clubs to get players to play on with injuries and to overpower medics even. Its also too easy for doctors to say take this painkiller.

Anyway, I'm absolutely chuffed for the player. I've experienced the effects heart attacks can have on individuals, fatally and none fatally and its awful. Indeed heart disease runs in my family, which is one of the reasons I quit smoking.

On a slightly related subject Tim Lamb (manager of the Metro Centre and former manager of Eldon Square) died last night after he suffered a heart attack playing football. So a quick reminder there of what could have happened to Muamba.

On a slightly related subject Tim Lamb (manager of the Metro Centre and former manager of Eldon Square) died last night after he suffered a heart attack playing football. So a quick reminder there of what could have happened to Muamba.

Absolutely. It happens every day somewhere. I've been involved in 2 resuscitations in the last year of blokes who arrested playing sport. Neither survived.

Absolutely. It happens every day somewhere. I've been involved in 2 resuscitations in the last year of blokes who arrested playing sport. Neither survived.

So is it a lot of time a case of just sitting down for a few minutes and that can prevent it from happening?

I myself have a heart problem, when I play I get tired more easily and I know when I can't push it and I either walk around the pitch doing noting much or I sit it out for a few minutes. Can doing something similar help prevent it from happening?

So is it a lot of time a case of just sitting down for a few minutes and that can prevent it from happening?

I myself have a heart problem, when I play I get tired more easily and I know when I can't push it and I either walk around the pitch doing noting much or I sit it out for a few minutes. Can doing something similar help prevent it from happening?

It seems to be that those it happens to have undiagnosed cardiac problems whereas you already know you have a condition. It's probably just bloody wise to slow down a little bit if you feel like you're overdoing it, but you're doing that with the benefit of knowledge, a diagnosed condition and common sense. Sometimes it really does 'just happen' to people who have no previous problems. It's probably also sensible to state that it happens when people aren't exercising/playing footy too.