Relegation Fodder

LucaAltieri

Fair enough, I can understand that. I'm just of a different opinion to some I guess, see I wouldn't take Hoilett ;)

Why though? Hoilett is as good as if not better than a lot of players we'll be linked to on the continent.

He's only 21 and has been one of the best wingers in the league for a struggling side (6 goals and 6 assists). Great close control and dribbler, can create and score, can play wide or through the middle. Like I said chances are he'll go to somebody like Spurs.

Well, for me that's exactly the reason. In a team that he's pretty much the only good creative force for, those are his stats - I would expect more. We could be looking at better players with Champions League experience for the same position he would occupy and for almost certainly less money, as it would be hugely inflated for him being PL-based too.

I believe Graham Carr's got a better fit than Hoilett in the pipeline for us should Ba leave.

Hoilett will go to somebody like Spurs if not us. He's a very talented little player, just because he plays for Blackburn doesn't make him crap.

I don't think there is a whole lot to pick from from the bottom 5 though.

Diame would be the one for me, simply because we don't have a like for like Tiote replacement when he's not playing. Although we'd miss them both when the ACN comes around which might be a stumbling block.

People can f*** off before they keep on telling me Abeid is a defensive midfielder as well.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle-united-boss-alan-pardew-challenges-mehdi-abeid-to-challenge-for-first-team-place-1-4028956

Pardew says he's a holding midfielder, be a different style to Tiote but Pardew doesn't seem to consider him to be an attacking midfielder that's for sure.

Hoilett will go to somebody like Spurs if not us. He's a very talented little player, just because he plays for Blackburn doesn't make him crap.

Diame would be the one for me, simply because we don't have a like for like Tiote replacement when he's not playing. Although we'd miss them both when the ACN comes around which might be a stumbling block.

People can f*** off before they keep on telling me Abeid is a defensive midfielder as well.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle-united-boss-alan-pardew-challenges-mehdi-abeid-to-challenge-for-first-team-place-1-4028956

Pardew says he's a holding midfielder, be a different style to Tiote to Pardew doesn't seem to consider him to be an attacking midfielder that's for sure.

To me a defensive midfielder is your Makelele's or your Redondo's, they sit and break up play. Abeid certainly doesn't do that. He plays deep in the way Carrick does, but doesn't perform the duties of somebody that I would class as a true defensive midfielder.

If Abeid is a DM then i would imagine he's the Busquets type DM ( minus the diving and rolling around)

More interceptions and positioning than pressing and tackling.

Yh i wouldnt think twice about getting Hoilett in tbh even if Ba stays he would provide a great option on either flank and could even play Cabaye's advanced midfield role on occasions i reckon.

Pardew says he's a holding midfielder, be a different style to Tiote to Pardew doesn't seem to consider him to be an attacking midfielder that's for sure.

To me a defensive midfielder is your Makelele's or your Redondo's, they sit and break up play. Abeid certainly doesn't do that. He plays deep in the way Carrick does, but doesn't perform the duties of somebody that I would class as a true defensive midfielder.

Playing the way we are now, Pardew seems to hint he'd come in for Tiote or Guthrie (I know he's not a defensive midfielder as well)/Jonas rather than Cabaye.  I know what you mean though, I said different style to Tiote but Pardew obviously wants him sat in front of the back four.

You realise he's out of contract in the summer?

Obviously I didn't =) In that case, sign him up ;)

Seriously though he's regularly touted as one of the best young players in Europe. He'd be a great signing and would fit right into our policy.

I don't think there are any others in the bottom 5 who I would take , maybe as squad players but we should be looking for better than that.

Lennon is struggling to get into Spurs' team, so I dunno where Hoilett will fit in. I'm sure that won't stop them getting him though.

Modric might leave in the summer. Also you could see Man City offering big money for Bale.

Players are not simply good or shit. They all have their attributes, and if they're playing at the highest level then they have some positives about their footballing ability.

Some will have pace, some a good touch, etc.

You can't just write off every player in the lower teams, it's moronic.

We're probably not going to pick up the next Messi by raiding the relegation sides, granted. That said, if we know what we're looking for we can make an incremental improvement on what we already have.

Danny Simpson isn't a world beater, is there someone amongst those teams that's stronger in that position than him? What are their flaws? Are they more of a risk because of them?

Simpson has done a job for us despite his limitations. Same can be said for Routledge when in the championship, Obertan this season. This is what we do now. Where we can't afford/find quality, we find someone that's good enough to paper over the cracks until that quality player becomes available at the right price. Lovenkrands, Carroll, Simpson, Sibierski, etc.

Is there a relegation player whose passing might help out our system? Someone who has physicality that could change the way we play in one area of the pitch?

If you genuinely can't see anyone down there that what offer an incremental improvement or offer us something different, or provide us cover in an area that we're weak, then fair enough. But personally, I think you're not looking hard enough.

Of course, buying from abroad is already an option. Maybe we can find something better and cheaper. I'm all for that. But, with relegation comes financial problems. Teams are often ok letting players go at cut down fees to get them off the wage bill. We might get a bargain.

Without quoting the over-paragraphed newspaper style formatting from LucaAltieri, Simpson and Obertan were bought from that bottom club called Manchester United. Lovenkrands came from abroad and Sib covered an injury crisis and (I could be wrong) he was either free or cost next to nothing. Carroll? He came from our own youth academy :lol:

Would like Hoilett, then play him in front of Cabaye and Tiote. Doing some nice runs from midfield, i'd like to see some pace there, Cabaye and Tiote are great, but pace aint their stuff. Hoilett is quite versatile as well, would be perfect for our current setup in many ways.

Without quoting the over-paragraphed newspaper style formatting from LucaAltieri, Simpson and Obertan were bought from that bottom club called Manchester United. Lovenkrands came from abroad and Sib covered an injury crisis and (I could be wrong) he was either free or cost next to nothing. Carroll? He came from our own youth academy :lol:

You're missing the point.

Try reading it again.

Try reading it again.

Nope, you have.

Try reading it again.

Nope, you have.

Oh, alright then. I didn't realise. Let's lock the thread.

People can fuck off before they keep on telling me Abeid is a defensive midfielder as well.

Diame is as much of a DM as Abeid like.

What about ligue 1? Sochaux are 19th as it stands... Wouldn't mind martin.

I did'nt understand the Martin links when they first came about but now we have switched to 4-3-3 it would make perfect sense.

Would be very happy to see him come in tbh.