Squad strength for next season

Unbelievable

Guest tollemache

I think we're going for Butland to loan him out, in anticipation of a big bid for Krul further down the line.

Also think we're basically getting our summer spending in now. The TV deal will inflate prices and I think we'll sign maybe one big player in the summer if that, aside from replacing Colo if he goes.

I think we're going for Butland to loan him out, in anticipation of a big bid for Krul further down the line.

Also think we're basically getting our summer spending in now. The TV deal will inflate prices and I think we'll sign maybe one big player in the summer if that, aside from replacing Colo if he goes.

I think we will try and get a Forward in and that will be the big name, but aside from that i agree anyone else we get in will be cheap, depth signings.

Quite frankly i don't think we need more than that tbh.

• 6 months later...

Below is our current squad not including those out on long term loans. Homegrown players denoted in brackets, and youth players also in brackets.

But what does this actually mean - well we have a squad of 35 players that have at least made our bench, or made first team appearances elsewhere.

However, 13 of these remain classified as youth players. These do not count towards the existing squad limits, so at present we have 22 out of 25 squad places filled, plus a decent youth contingent. That still leads us short at prsent.

Now we should however assume players are incoming. Gomis and Remy are both looking likely, so that is 24 players.

But we have a future problem coming up, we now have only 7 homegrown players. This takes our maximum squad size down to 24, still just about ok.

But more problems, we have tried to sell Gosling and Williamson this summer. Taylor has a serious injury. That would allow us a squad of 22 (21) only, we could then not sign anyone outside of England without removing a player. So we couldn't replace Williamson with a foreign defender, unless we want to sell someone else. Amalfitano is an easy sacrifice, and we can probably say the same for Obertan, but after that, who then?

Next season, we get two new HG seniors through the academy, Sammy and Dummett. We also have Ferguson back from loan. But the introduction of these is just a reclassification of their squad status, not the strengthening of a weak squad.

So once we get our two French strikers done, we need to target the signing of English players to replace our weaker squad players.

1. Krul (HG)

2. Coloccini

3. Santon

4. Cabaye

6. Williamson (HG)

7. Sissoko

8. Anita

9. Cisse

10. Ben Arfa

11. Gouffran

13. Yanga-Mbiwa

15. Gosling (HG)

16. R. Taylor (HG)

17. Amalfitano

18. Jonas

19. Haidara (Yth)

20. Bigirimana (Yth)

21. Elliot (HG)

22. Marveaux

23. Shola Ameobi (HG)

24. Tiote

25. Obertan

26. Debuchy

27. S. Taylor (HG)

28. Sammy Ameobi (Yth)

29. Vuckic (Yth)

33. Good (Yth)

34. Tavernier (Yth)

36. Dummett (Yth)

38. Inman (Yth)

40. Richardson (Yth)

41. Newton (Yth)

42. Alnwick (Yth)

44. Streete (Yth)

49. Campbell (Yth)

I don't particular rate Elliot as a back up keeper, would like a new number 2. A new centre-half would be nice but can live with Williamson 4th choice. Don't think we're far off at all.

Based on the assumption we are signing Gomis and Remy I presume? I love how everybody seems to think these are done deals after some positive tweets yesterday. We never learn.. :lol:

I've broken our current squad down into sections and to be honest it's looking pretty bleak.

First Teamers

1. Krul (HG)

2. Coloccini

3. Santon

4. Cabaye

7. Sissoko

8. Anita

9. Cisse

11. Gouffran

13. Yanga-Mbiwa

21. Elliot (HG)

24. Tiote

26. Debuchy

First Teamers who will be available for less than half of our matches

10. Ben Arfa

22. Marveaux

27. S. Taylor (HG)

What the fuck are they still doing here

6. Williamson (HG)

15. Gosling (HG)

23. Shola Ameobi (HG)

25. Obertan

18. Jonas

Youth Teamers who have had an impact

19. Haidara (Yth)

20. Bigirimana (Yth)

Uproven at this level

17. Amalfitano

28. Sammy Ameobi (Yth)

29. Vuckic (Yth)

33. Good (Yth)

34. Tavernier (Yth)

36. Dummett (Yth)

38. Inman (Yth)

40. Richardson (Yth)

41. Newton (Yth)

42. Alnwick (Yth)

44. Streete (Yth)

49. Campbell (Yth)

Completely fucked

16. R. Taylor (HG)

Guest Phil K

Players are OK, if not challenging for anything.

The problem is leadership. Pardew or Kinnear ?

Rock or a hard place ?

Dumb or Dumber

Just wondering. Which club in the top 2 divisions would put these two in charge of the club.....(apart from us, that is)

Guest Alexinho

Winger needed IMO

Yes, but will Pardew play an attacking LW if B'Arfa is on the right?

Or is it then a LW instead of a striker?

I'm torn between wanting a proper wide player and worrying that it will just encourage pardew to play even less to Cisse's strengths  :lol:

Why would a winger help move Pardew's tactics away from Cisse's strengths (further)? Cisse's crying out for crosses, especially of the low variety.

I'm torn between wanting a proper wide player and worrying that it will just encourage pardew to play even less to Cisse's strengths  :lol:

Why would a winger help move Pardew's tactics away from Cisse's strengths (further)? Cisse's crying out for crosses, especially of the low variety.

Fair point think I've been indoctrinated by or many aimless punts towards the box

Guest neesy111

A good winger is exactly what we need.  When was the last time we put in a cross behind a defence for example?

Agreed, but if we sign a 'crosser', I hope someone tells Cisse to take a punt on the near post. Just once in the entire season would do, like.

A good winger is exactly what we need.  When was the last time we put in a cross behind a defence for example?

:thup:

With all this talk of Dummet as leftback maybe we'll see Santon pushed onto the wing, looked good whenever he's played there.

Sarcasm?