Squad strength for next season

Unbelievable

For all those injured players back we will have new injuries to count for. There will be always injury 3 or 4 at the time. If you see the reserve team result recently we are thrashed by many it is kinda crazy. Qualifying for Europe will be a different ball park and it will test our limits. Even the like of Spurs struggled this season to get anything out of the competition.

Spurs played a load of kids in the Europa League thats why, hardly any of their first team played in Europe this year.

Stoke gave it a good go, but with lots of squad rotation, don't think they ever started their first choice Crouch and Walters frotn two and even they didn't fill the bench for the away leg vs Valencia.

Guest Geordiedog

For all those injured players back we will have new injuries to count for. There will be always injury 3 or 4 at the time. If you see the reserve team result recently we are thrashed by many it is kinda crazy. Qualifying for Europe will be a different ball park and it will test our limits. Even the like of Spurs struggled this season to get anything out of the competition.

Kinda depends how much priority you give it, I guess. If you see it as a league cup sort of distraction and play fringe players then it won't be a drain 'cos a/ your main squad won't feature and b/ you won't be in it long. I'd imagine if we do get into Europe then the main squad players will all want to feature in it.

Spurs played a load of kids in the Europa League thats why, hardly any of their first team played in Europe this year.

Are you suggesting we should field Sammy Ameobie and Abeied for this one?

Are you suggesting we should field Sammy Ameobie and Abeied for this one?

I am suggesting we field a mixture of first teamers,fringe and youth a bit like how Stoke did who did take seriously for the most part and we are much better than them.

Spurs flopped because they practically played a youth team.

I personally think 4 signings and some youth promotion will be enough to keep us competitive across the board.

Squad isnt small ( apart from defence) its just got more quantity than quality..... get rid of the deadwood, add some quality and give more chances to youth and we'll be fine imo.

• 9 months later...

I like doing these :D

Krul

Elliot

Harper

Debuchy            Mapou            Colo              Santon

Simpson            Saylor              Williamson    Haidara

Tavernier                                                        Ferguson

Raylor                                                              Dummett

Cabaye        Sissoko      Anita

Bigi              Tiote          Perch

Vuckic          Abeid          Jonas

Gosling

Ben Arfa              Cisse              Marveaux

Sammy              Gouffran        Obertan

Amalfitano          Shola              Campbell

:notbad:

I like doing these :D

Krul

Elliot

Harper

Debuchy            Mapou            Colo              Santon

Simpson            Saylor              Williamson    Haidara

Tavernier                                                        Ferguson

Raylor                                                              Dummett

Cabaye        Sissoko      Anita

Bigi              Tiote          Perch

Vuckic          Abeid          Jonas

Gosling

Ben Arfa              Cisse              Marveaux

Sammy              Gouffran        Obertan

Amalfitano          Shola              Campbell

:notbad:

Oh yeah  :drool:

Still short at CB (Colo will surely go in the summer as well) and up front tbh. Plenty of depth in midfield mind

Lets get Sakho :lol:

Think that would be a possibility if he is still keen to get out of PSG. More likely we will finally get Douglas on a free though. To be fair, lets sack of Williamson and get them both in. 

Will be interesting to see how Tavs, Good, Streete and Satka improve. I doubt any of them will be quite ready for next season. I think we will sell Tavernier tbh, I think he has a lot of potential though and is not much worse than Simpson already.

Think there will be a lot of outs in the summer

Xisco - 100% gone on a free

Simpson 100% gone on a free

Colo - gone

Jonas - not needed

Williamson - done here

Gosling - never made an impact

Obertan - not good enough

Shola - shite

Harper - well past it

Eliott - is meh, could see us letting him go.

Raylor - injury, no cemented position, disposable.

Ranger - jail

Think Sameobi, Vuckic, ferguson, Abeid & Amalfitano will be fighting to stay here or loaned out.

Would be nice to try and secure some young English talent like Butland & Redmond to replace the numbers.

Think there will be a lot of outs in the summer

Xisco - 100% gone on a free

Simpson 100% gone on a free

Colo - gone

Jonas - not needed

Williamson - done here

Gosling - never made an impact

Obertan - not good enough

Shola - shite

Harper - well past it

Eliott - is meh, could see us letting him go.

Raylor - injury, no cemented position, disposable.

Ranger - jail

Think Sameobi, Vuckic, ferguson, Abeid & Amalfitano will be fighting to stay here or loaned out.

Would be nice to try and secure some young English talent like Butland & Redmond to replace the numbers.

:idiot2:

So, after 4 months of lamenting the club for not having the foresight to ensure we had experienced squad players to help cover for the first XI, you're immediately shipping out anyone who isn't a first choice player?

Christ. Onabike.

Xisco, Simpson, Colo - I can see a valid reason why they're gone in the summer.

Shola, Harper, Elliot, Ryan Taylor, Williamson (!), Jonas, Gosling, Obertan - none are first choice starting players but all have Premiership experience (bar Elliot) and can do a job for us in the League Cup or give a first choice player the option to rest in a game, rather than play with a niggle and pick up a serious injury. None of them are on megabucks wages.

Culling is inevitable. That said there is no way we will let that many people leave.

Xisco  Simpson    Colo    Ranger - Are the only ones I can see leaving for certain.

There will be a glut of youngsters shown the door too. Abeid and possibly Amalfitano and Gosling. Then a bunch of youths.

Harper - Think he might retire at the end of the year, we shall see.  Eliott - Will stay for sure imo.

I think Jonas and Obertan will stay until christmas at least.

Raylor, Williamson and Shola are happy members of the squad on small wages. Ideally they would all be upgraded on but I reckon we will probably only bring two main squad targets in the summer CB and Striker. Any other activity will probably be restricted to younglings for the youth/reserves.

Players with contracts expiring at end of season: (taken from .com)

5 Danny Simpson DEF English 06.2013

32 Xisco FWD Spanish 06.2013

37 Stephen Alan Harper GK English 06.2013

52 Dennis Knight MID English 06.2013 (18)

n/a Michael Riley DEF English 06.2013 (18)

+ 9 other 'reserve' players (under 21 squad) who don't have contract info:

Lee Desmond DEF Irish (18)

Alex Gilliead FWD English (16)

Jonathan "JJ" Hooper FWD English (19)

Alex Kitchen DEF English (17)

Marcus Maddison MID English (19)

Brandon Miele MID Irish (18)

Jonathan Mitchell GKR English (18)

Alex Nicholson DEF English (18)

Freddie Woodman GKR English (15)

Confident there will be more players leaving from the first list than from the second. After last summer's 'overhaul' of the youth and reserve teams, I don't think we'll be throwing away another season of development.

There's a group of about 8/9 lads who have been training with the first team, involved in the cup squads and playing regularly for the reserves/under 21s - they've all got another 18months on their contracts and need to show enough improvement to the coaching staff to warrant further first team exposure and gaining some trust from Pardew and Carver.

Similarly, the likes of Abeid, Ferguson, Tavernier, Inman, Good, Sammy Ameobi, all need to continue their development on loan as first team opportunities are going to be hard to come by at NE1 and they need regular competitive football to get their confidence up.

I reckon Elliot is here for the rest of his career now tbh. Decent back up and is just happy to be here. Will be on wages that reflect his position in the squad. Don't see either him or the club pushing for a move.

Same probably applies for Williamson.

Taking league squad registration into consideration.

September's List (-Ba, 21 players):

Romain Amalfitano, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Demba Ba, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Robert Elliot, Dan Gosling, Stephen Harper, Jonas Gutierrez, Timothy Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Daniel Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson, Xisco.

January additions (4):

Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara (U21, need not be registered)

So we've filled the available slots for Febuary's squad registration.

Possible summer departures (4):

Simpson, Xisco, Coloccini, Harper

Turning 22 next season, needs registration (3):

Santon, Ranger, Ferguson

So one available slot pending any departures. If we follow up on PEA, that's the final slot filled. I can see a few departures besides the usual suspects, especially in areas we are well-stocked in, such as central midfield.

Afaik, any players we loan out are included in the 25-man list (Xisco was included while at Deportivo) and if there is available slot(s), all over-21 players have to be registered and can't be left out (Owen at Stoke).

Taking league squad registration into consideration.

September's List (-Ba, 21 players):

Romain Amalfitano, Shola Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Demba Ba, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yohan Cabaye, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Robert Elliot, Dan Gosling, Stephen Harper, Jonas Gutierrez, Timothy Krul, Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, James Perch, Daniel Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Cheick Tiote, Mike Williamson, Xisco.

January additions (4):

Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Sissoko, Gouffran, Haidara (U21, need not be registered)

So we've filled the available slots for Febuary's squad registration.

Possible summer departures (4):

Simpson, Xisco, Coloccini, Harper

Turning 22 next season, needs registration (3):

Santon, Ranger, Ferguson

So one available slot pending any departures. If we follow up on PEA, that's the final slot filled. I can see a few departures besides the usual suspects, especially in areas we are well-stocked in, such as central midfield.

Afaik, any players we loan out are included in the 25-man list (Xisco was included while at Deportivo) and if there is available slot(s), all over-21 players have to be registered and can't be left out (Owen at Stoke).

Glad someone else is taking squad registration restrictions in to consideration (the reason I said for English youth to replace bodies over experience)

If we ever make Europe agin the squad needs 4 club grown and 8 home grown from 25, that'll be a push for us while maintaining quality.

Our next recruitment drive needs to be English, and why I hope were looking at Butland and Redmond due to he financial position brum are in ( Ashley always needs some kind of angle)

Of course all I listed wont leave, but some might and I wouldn't mind if any of those do go, all are dispensable.

For next season, not that we will be in Europe anyway. :yao:

Home-grown (club-trained):

Krul, Saylor, Shola, Ferguson

Home-grown (nation):

Elliot, Gosling, Perch, Raylor, Williamson, Ranger

Long-term wise I'll probably agree with you in looking within the country since our academy isn't exactly producing players for the first team. As mentioned, Europe is 17 + 8HG so some of the foreign lads will be phased out eventually (Jonas, Obertan etc).

For next season, not that we will be in Europe anyway. :yao:

Home-grown (club-trained):

Krul, Saylor, Shola, Ferguson

Home-grown (nation):

Elliot, Gosling, Perch, Raylor, Williamson, Ranger

Long-term wise I'll probably agree with you in looking within the country since our academy isn't exactly producing players for the first team. As mentioned, Europe is 17 + 8HG so some of the foreign lads will be phased out eventually (Jonas, Obertan etc).

:okay: