Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

People are absolutely ridiculous about Simpson. He's not great, but you'd think he was in a f***ing wheelchair the way some go on about him.

This. Unspectacular but not the worst RB in the world.

Especially given that we've been forced to work with much, much worse very recently.

A RB who's good going forward would improve us so much with Ben Arfa likely to be given a lot of license to roam in from the right, it'll be a real opportunity missed if we spend the year trotting Simpson out there.

Wonder if Pardew will consider giving Raylor a go there in certain games if we don't get anyone in, maybe against weaker teams where we're expecting to be on top?

Or yeah, we could always buy someone good. :lol:

People are absolutely ridiculous about Simpson. He's not great, but you'd think he was in a fucking wheelchair the way some go on about him.

He's easily our weakest link and offers absolutely nothing going forward; people are just frustrated that we haven't made the signing  that everyone knows would improve us. That leads to people lamenting the fact that he starts and consequently exaggerating his ineptitude.

People are absolutely ridiculous about Simpson. He's not great, but you'd think he was in a fucking wheelchair the way some go on about him.

He's easily our weakest link and offers absolutely nothing going forward; people are just frustrated that we haven't made the signing  that everyone knows would improve us. That leads to people lamenting the fact that he starts and consequently exaggerating his ineptitude.

That's a fair assessment, I just wish they wouldn't.

Like the first bit in bold doing whay you say in the 2nd?

We have a good team = weakest link not necessarily that weak.

I think he's shit btw. New RB is crucial if we want to adapt a more fluid passing game, which seems to be the aim.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Simpson is limited going forward but is really solid in defence. If anything HBA constantly leaves him exposed and that's why we need a more attacking RB to cover the space that HBA so willingly abandons.

i think he's ok against "lesser" teams than chelsea say where our more talented players can impose themselves and leave him to simply be a defender but in games the likes of saturday he costs you a chance at getting into/back into the game imho as in a tight match like that he's incapable of beating a man or picking a tight pass forward to one of his teammates, the opposition obviously can see this and therefore pressure his side more...hba was up against one of the best lb's in the world supported by another in bertrand and he simply had to try and do it all on his own

i'd love to see one of those pass analysis graphs for him vs. chelsea like, i only remember one decent cross from him the entire match and when he hit it thought he was too deep and lacked real options but hit it anyway as he didn't know what else to do (i'm not saying it was that bad like, just seemed that bad)

Guest BooBoo

If we dont get Debuchy then we still have a number of players who can play RB and I'm the camp of "Simpson's really not that bad". It's not ideal but we can live with Simpson, Perch or Raylor all filling that position.

For me, having lost Lovenkrands and more critically Best, we have to get a striker in. We have three senior forwards, one of which in Ameobi is too injury pre and cannot be relied on for goals. If we start September with this pool of forwards, then I'm afraid a wheel will enevitably fall off sooner or later, considering the likely demands of our fixtures.

Wouldn't say that was an exaggeration myself, his qualities are in the defensive aspect of his game. Speaking in relative terms, i think contributing "absolutely nothing going forward" is a reasonably sound evaluation tbh.

The label that 'Simpson offers nothing going forward'  is hugely over exaggerated imo, I would hazard a guess his cross completion is a far greater percentage than Santon's.  Obviously he's not as good on the ball, but crossing is a big part of being a full back and something that he's not bad at.

I think not paying over the odds or being held to ransom is fine. However at a certain point we should simply move on and persue other targets instead of playing a potentially dangerous game of bluff where we could conceivably end up with no one.

I'm sure Debuchy isn't the only right back in world football who would improve our first 11 and would be prepared to come to us.

The label that 'Simpson offers nothing going forward'  is hugely over exaggerated imo, I would hazard a guess his cross completion is a far greater percentage than Santon's.  Obviously he's not as good on the ball, but crossing is a big part of being a full back and something that he's not bad at.

Disagree. His crossing is what lets him down most of the time; Santon is a right footer playing at left-back which means he's often cutting in on his right or crossing the ball with his weaker foot.

I think not paying over the odds or being held to ransom is fine. However at a certain point we should simply move on and persue other targets instead of playing a potentially dangerous game of bluff where we could conceivably end up with no one.

I'm sure Debuchy isn't the only right back in world football who would improve our first 11 and would be prepared to come to us.

Presumably one of a very few we've scouted at such length though, and that's the sticking point. The club have said on numerous occasions that they won't sign someone they don't know all about. There's still a chance with Debuchy and that's why we haven't gone elsewhere. I still think it's bonkers that we didn't buy Nathaniel Clyne mind.

His crosses are just depressing to watch tbh. He does them early, and it's often a high ball without curl or pace at all that's easy for any keeper to take. It often lands nearer to the edge of the area than in the danger zones too. As for his attacking intent, just hound him and it will force him into his second favorite pass: the pass back to Taylor/Williamson/whoever our RCB is. And don't get me started on his favorite pass - the hoof.

it's not his crossing that's the issue anyway, he's not so bad at putting a cross into a decent area imo

his problem is his general all round play and ability on the ball when in advanced positions, if he's not passing it backwards or crossing it he seems to be fucked for ideas and the opposition know this

Wouldn't say that was an exaggeration myself, his qualities are in the defensive aspect of his game. Speaking in relative terms, i think contributing "absolutely nothing going forward" is a reasonably sound evaluation tbh.

I know I can't often make this claim but so far this season he's our only player with an assist from open play and he was putting in crosses against Chelsea that nobody got on the end of, or at least nothing came from them.  I'd have Debuchy in a heartbeat as I think he'll upgrade what we've got.  I just don't think Simpson is as bad as made out, he can defend and has offered more this season going forward than normal, maybe he can learn and move his game on.

Guest BooBoo

Is Debuchy a good defender btw? When I saw him with France he was most impressive pushing forward. Haven't seen any more of him.

Looked like a Johnny Beresford type full back to me- very keen to get forward, comfortable on the ball but not a blood and thunder defender. That's just on the France games I saw as never seen him otherwise.

I know I can't often make this claim but so far this season he's our only player with an assist from open play and he was putting in crosses against Chelsea that nobody got on the end of, or at least nothing came from them.  I'd have Debuchy in a heartbeat as I think he'll upgrade what we've got.  I just don't think Simpson is as bad as made out, he can defend and has offered more this season going forward than normal, maybe he can learn and move his game on.

imo at times he was putting in crosses when he shouldn't be, ba & cisse on their own with 5 chelsea players around them (or whatever) with the ball being launched from deep, NEVER from the byline of course...strikers are rarely ever gonna get goals from that type of cross

this is my problem with simpson in a nutshell

Is Debuchy a good defender btw? When I saw him with France he was most impressive pushing forward. Haven't seen any more of him.

He's not a bad defender but I guarantee that if we get him he'll get caught out of position in the way Simpson does and nothing will be said.  Where he’ll upgrade Simpson will be his quality when he puts a cross in and he looks more comfortable on the ball.

It kind of makes sense for us to have a more defensive-minded fullback on the right given that it's often difficult for Ben Arfa to contribute to defending due to the fact that he's always drifting towards the middle of the pitch.

It works the other way as well because that creates a lot of space for an attacking fullback to overlap into, but still, something to think about.

Not worse than Simpson defensively, but comparing their attacking abilities is just like comparing Spain with Stoke tbf.

It kind of makes sense for us to have a more defensive-minded fullback on the right given that it's often difficult for Ben Arfa to contribute to defending due to the fact that he's always drifting towards the middle of the pitch.

It works the other way as well because that creates a lot of space for an attacking fullback to overlap into, but still, something to think about.

for all the good he is on the ball might as well swap santon and simpson to try and have santon making runs off ben arfa then, if you want different types

one thing i noticed a lot saturday was the amount of times santon made runs either with or slightly ahead of jonas and they invariably just ended as nothing with him stopping short of going beyond their fullback, not sure if he didn't have the confidence that jonas would pick the pass or what but it happened a lot, he just ended up stopping in his tracks