Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe we're signing Free LOVEFiLM Trial.

Mike will do anything to push a deal over the line by not putting his hand in his pocket

Pirate bay for mike like

Not with his Virgin Media package, he won't.

Not convinced at all about this move, both in terms of I think we have higher priority positions we need to fill and the player himself. I'd rather get Van der Wiel from Ajax.

Strength In Depth needs to be considered and the fact we don't really have it.

I don't understand this 'so and so position is more important' argument. Do people think we pursue targets one after the other in order of priority? We're looking at a number of players, some come off quicker than others. It doesn't mean that the club thinks a backup midfielder is number one most important signing.

Like we can only do one thing at once, it's an extra midfielder for strength in depth, not sure why you think it's one or the other

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I have gone on record saying I don't think we work to a transfer budget, but we try to get good deals when we see them even if this means our squad is unbalanced. This is my concern currently. If we get in a full back, centre back and striker alongside Anita I will be very happy with this transfer, if we don't I will see it as a typical effect of our value seeking transfer policy and regret the fact we have strengthened an already strong position at the expense (if you were working to a transfer budget as most clubs do) of other positions.

Strength in depth is needed indeed with a 55+ match season beckoning, but we have the following players for/capable in centre midfield already: Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas (in a midfield 3 alongside Tiote), Marveaux (in a midfield 3 in front of Tiote and Cabaye), Perch (versatile backup for Tiote), Amalfitano (in a midfield 3 in front of Tiote and Cabaye), Gosling (make or break season), Abeid, Bigi (promising youngsters who looks more ready for a loan or the odd runout), Raylor (in the case of an emergency). That's 10 players for 2/3 positions, with no first team players known for bad injury records.

By contrast, we have, at a push, 5 players in central defense (Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Perch, Good) and 3 forwards (Cisse, Ba, Ameobi), with some of these players completely unproven (Good) and quite injury prone/incapable of 90 minutes (Saylor, Ameobi).

Why do you think it's only one at a time though? I imagine the club has the list of targets Carr has, and will be in negotiations etc for as many on it as possible, probably not that many considering this window, but I don't get this. A lot of those midfielders are developing, not complete products yet, some aren't good enough. Anita has enough experence to be an asset more immediately and will bring excellent european football experience. He will also free up Cabaye into a more attacking creative role if played in a midfield 3.

Only thing I can suggest is VA seems to play a specific role that we don't have any real depth in, in that midfield list.

Agreed its a lot of midfield options, but hey, that's no bad thing.

Are we looking (seriously) at any other CB's?

Seems to have dropped of the radar (which is slightly concerning)

Not convinced at all about this move, both in terms of I think we have higher priority positions we need to fill and the player himself. I'd rather get Van der Wiel from Ajax.

According to De Telegraaf Van der Wiel turned us down.

Also, isn't Van der Wiel just a FB?

He is, but Anita is just a DCM, trust me.

Edit: I know Van der Wiel is apparently not interested in coming here. I was just saying that I would have liked to see him here as he has proved in the past he can be a very good right back, a position that we could stengthen our first team in significantly.

Only thing I can suggest is VA seems to play a specific role that we don't have any real depth in, in that midfield list.

Doubt we will sign a cb unless we sell williamson. Think Good is 4th choice and in numbers terms we should be able to make do with that. Again it wouldn't surprise me that now they've seen Good in training they already think he's on par with Williamson or near enough for the cb transfer to go low priority.

Doubt we will sign a cb unless we sell williamson. Think Good is 4th choice and in numbers terms we should be able to make do with that. Again it wouldn't surprise me that now they've seen Good in training they already think he's on par with Williamson or near enough for the cb transfer to go low priority.

That's a good point (no pun intended), the coaching staff do get to see more of the players they've brought in than we do from a few friendlies and they may well see Good as being ready for the Premiership if needed. I still hope we're after Douglas though. Him and Colo could form a brilliant centre back partnership.

That's a good point (no pun intended), the coaching staff do get to see more of the players they've brought in than we do from a few friendlies and they may well see Good as being ready for the Premiership if needed. I still hope we're after Douglas though. Him and Colo could form a brilliant centre back partnership.

Probably an opportunist signing now, should he become available at the price we offered then we will go for it, should he not then I can see us signing him at Xmas on a free for next summer and listening to offers for Williamson in the meantime.

The CB signing is a difficult one, because we can't promise any player regular league football with Talyor and Colo fit.

Had already figured that but it just concerns me that IF Saylor or Colo take a knock, we're struggling in that position.

Personally, I'm happy enough with them both if fit, I think they're a good combination, we just struggled last season to cover that combo effectively imo.

Seems a little strange to me given that AP puts (and rightly so) a bit of time into extra coaching the defence.

Personally, I was as delighted with our clean sheets, as I was with our strikeforce last season.

Would just like to see that centre berth being challenged for, by another out and out CB.

Plus it seemed to be a priority earlier in the window, a-la Douglas.

Can't really see Good having changed that. 

Personally think there's no excuse not to be looking at another CB. If we're hoping on progressing on last seasons achievements we're going to need better options. An injury to Colo/Taylor and we're painfully short of quality/experience.

The CB signing is a difficult one, because we can't promise any player regular league football with Talyor and Colo fit.

Had already figured that but it just concerns me that IF Saylor or Colo take a knock, we're struggling in that position.

Personally, I'm happy enough with them both if fit, I think they're a good combination, we just struggled last season to cover that combo effectively imo.

Seems a little strange to me given that AP puts (and rightly so) a bit of time into extra coaching the defence.

Personally, I was as delighted with our clean sheets, as I was with our strikeforce last season.

Would just like to see that centre berth being challenged for, by another out and out CB.

Plus it seemed to be a priority earlier in the window, a-la Douglas.

Can't really is Good haven't changed that. 

Totally agree, I just think it's going to be difficult to identify the right quality of player and convince him to join.

Like we can only do one thing at once, it's an extra midfielder for strength in depth, not sure why you think it's one or the other

I'm not saying it's one or the other. I have gone on record saying I don't think we work to a transfer budget, but we try to get good deals when we see them even if this means our squad is unbalanced. This is my concern currently...

Do you really believe that the Anita signing is an opportunistic bargain?

That strikes me as frankly ridiculous if I'm honest.

The order you sign players is not in order of priority. Assumed that was obvious....