Luuk de Jong signs for PSV

BeloEmre

It wasn't a great deal at the time, imo. We got Shefki f***ing Kuqi in as his replacement.

I'm aware of the fact that we actually did better pointwise without him in the 2nd half of the season, but at the time it was a little disaster.

We wasn't going to challenge for Europe that season nor get relegated. It's shit selling your best players and I would've been very annoyed to see him go for 15-20. But £35million?

Guest palnese

It wasn't a great deal at the time, imo. We got Shefki f***ing Kuqi in as his replacement.

I'm aware of the fact that we actually did better pointwise without him in the 2nd half of the season, but at the time it was a little disaster.

We wasn't going to challenge for Europe that season nor get relegated. It's shit selling your best players and I would've been very annoyed to see him go for 15-20. But £35million?

That's true, but the shocking performance at Fulham after we sold AC had me in serious doubt for the last half of the season.

It's all good now, mind. :lol:

Bit late to the show but him going to Gladbach for that much is way ott. He looked/sounded like he'd be a great addition to our squad but if we had a limit and stuck to it then it's hard to argue against it. I'm all for pushing the boat out to get good young players into the club but I don't like seeing us held to ransom. Fuck that.

No axe to grind, it didn't happen, we move on. 

Hope you've all checked your January 2010 deadline day posts in the Carroll thread..? I don't remember it being a particularly festive atmosphere on here that day as events unfolded.

Its a pretty insane thing to re-read, people just losing their fucking marbles to be honest but mostly due to the "Ashley's forced Carroll to leave and will pocket the money" bullshit.  I'm not sure how many people actually believed he was worth more than £35m and if they did well.. I don't know what to say to that :)  Happy to say I made it pretty clear in that thread that I didn't think Carroll was worth what Liverpool were offering even at the time of the transfer.

As far as Carroll's current value goes, I think he's worth about £15m, that's what I generally always thought he was worth outside of the extra you want to sell an important player late in the window.  But I don't think he's worth £15m to us right now.  I agree with people who say he shouldn't be a starter for us and I don't think £15m is a good fee for a third choice striker (fourth choice if we play three up front with Ben Arfa).

Having said that I wouldn't pay £16m for De Jong either and given the choice of £16m for De Jong and £12m for Carroll (which is what you mentioned earlier though it looks like they want more than that) I'd probably go with the later.

Hope you've all checked your January 2010 deadline day posts in the Carroll thread..? I don't remember it being a particularly festive atmosphere on here that day as events unfolded.

Its a pretty insane thing to re-read, people just losing their f***ing marbles to be honest but mostly due to the "Ashley's forced Carroll to leave and will pocket the money" bullshit.  I'm not sure how many people actually believed he was worth more than £35m and if they did well.. I don't know what to say to that :)  Happy to say I made it pretty clear in that thread that I didn't think Carroll was worth what Liverpool were offering even at the time of the transfer.

As far as Carroll's current value goes, I think he's worth about £15m, that's what I generally always thought he was worth outside of the extra you want to sell an important player late in the window.  But I don't think he's worth £15m to us right now.  I agree with people who say he shouldn't be a starter for us and I don't think £15m is a good fee for a third choice striker (fourth choice if we play three up front with Ben Arfa).

Having said that I wouldn't pay £16m for De Jong either and given the choice of £16m for De Jong and £12m for Carroll (which is what you mentioned earlier though it looks like they want more than that) I'd probably go with the later.

Earlier in that famous January transfer window I distinctly remember Spurs being reportedly in for him (didn't 'arry actually say something in public to that effect as well) and the transfer fee quoted was 20 million plus, which a lot of people on here also rejected out of hand as unrealistic. There's a lot of history rewriting going on it seems: back then he was the brightest English striker prospect and the player everybody talked about. That 35 million bid didn't come out of the blue. It may seem daft now, but he was actually well worth over what we're supposedly ready to pay to get him back now (and only if he impresses in a loan first if reports are correct).

Its a pretty insane thing to re-read, people just losing their f***ing marbles to be honest but mostly due to the "Ashley's forced Carroll to leave and will pocket the money" bullshit.  I'm not sure how many people actually believed he was worth more than £35m and if they did well.. I don't know what to say to that :)  Happy to say I made it pretty clear in that thread that I didn't think Carroll was worth what Liverpool were offering even at the time of the transfer.

Earlier in that famous January transfer window I distinctly remember Spurs being reportedly in for him (didn't 'arry actually say something in public to that effect as well) and the transfer fee quoted was 20 million plus, which a lot of people on here also rejected out of hand as unrealistic. There's a lot of history rewriting going on it seems: back then he was the brightest English striker prospect and the player everybody talked about. That 35 million bid didn't come out of the blue. It may seem daft now, but he was actually well worth over what we're supposedly ready to pay to get him back now (and only if he impresses in a loan first if reports are correct).

I do agree to an extent (there was a lot of madness in that thread), but I also think some of its about the different situation we find ourselves in now in comparison to January 2011.  I'd have agreed with the people saying £20m wasn't enough for him back then.  Because at the time he was our main striker and on top form, plus we were left with very little time to try to replace him.  As I said he was worth about £15m IMO outside of the extra you want to sell an important player late in the window.  However his worth to us has changed IMO, I still think he's worth about £15m to the right side, just not to us.

I'd have no problem with us taking him on loan for a year with the option of signing him for £15m though.

Its a pretty insane thing to re-read, people just losing their fucking marbles to be honest but mostly due to the "Ashley's forced Carroll to leave and will pocket the money" bullshit.  I'm not sure how many people actually believed he was worth more than £35m and if they did well.. I don't know what to say to that :)

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,73942.50.html

Weeks before the £35m bid was made.

I think a lot of it was down to the fact most people were pretty suspicious of Ahsley's plans still at that time and just didn't want players out the door, but there was definitely a lot rating him in the £30+ bracket.

LOL at this btw:

You really cannot put a price on him, to find a suitable replacement and how hood he can get a £40m offer would be unlikely to be accepted, for me.

Nobody is daft enough to offer anything near £40M for Carroll man.

:D

Its a pretty insane thing to re-read, people just losing their f***ing marbles to be honest but mostly due to the "Ashley's forced Carroll to leave and will pocket the money" bullshit.  I'm not sure how many people actually believed he was worth more than £35m and if they did well.. I don't know what to say to that :)

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,73942.50.html

Weeks before the £35m bid was made.

I think a lot of it was down to the fact most people were pretty suspicious of Ahsley's plans still at that time and just didn't want players out the door, but there was definitely a lot rating him in the £30+ bracket.

Also, it was a local talent going to f***ing Liverpool (on the last day of the transfer window). People were rightfully p*ssed, although in hindsight it worked out a lot better than many/most expected.

The problem with us selling Carroll for £35m was not the fee, but that we sold him at all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time it felt like we were vulnerable. Carroll first, who next? We'd become a selling club. It was about the mentality, not the figure.

Guest firetotheworks

35million meant nothing until we bought Cisse. There's no such thing as a good deal for us unless it's spent correctly. Sometimes I think people are more interested in transfers than actual football. Like kids with their Merlin stickers in the 90s, or on Fifa Ultimate Team now.

The problem with us selling Carroll for £35m was not the fee, but that we sold him at all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time it felt like we were vulnerable. Carroll first, who next? We'd become a selling club. It was about the mentality, not the figure.

Yet when we are in for another club's best player people expect the other club to just bend over and get frustrated when they don't. Luuk de Jong anyone? In another thread somebody said it would be "easy" to get another top striker for under 10 mill as an alternative to Carroll. Cisse was an exceptional deal which came about due to the fact Freiburg suddenly were prepared to sell for half their original asking price. Unfortunately something like this doesn't happen very often. What worries me slightly is Mike has proven before he is willing to gamble on not getting a player in if he feels there's no exceptional deal to be made (centre back all of last season).

I like that tactic. We'll wait until it's right for us because we have capable players already. I like the fact that we never pay a premium.

As long as we don't get burned by the tactic backfiring people will like it. Wouldn't have been the same if Colo would have got injured costing us our European challenge after the failure to get a back up centre back in last January.

@jouracule

Luuk de Jong to Borussia Mönchengladbach is finally completed. FC Twente receives €15M. [rtv oost, voetbal international and tc tubantia].

2:41 PM - 17 Jul 12

That's just under £12m. ???