Douglas

BONTEMPI

Guest BooBoo

are you asking for them next to each other, or the combined one? if the former

:yao: / :alone:

Combined please.

We spend years scouting, researching and following these players.

Then it seems we have utterly no idea how much they're going to cost us.  And if we do, we don't really want to pay it.

So why not scout for players within our budget?

We know how much man, we just take an almost ridiculously hardball approach to them. We're paying up front so we want to be 100% sure they're getting maximum value for money. We also appear to believe that we can get the player onside and let the selling club sweat in each case.

I would wager that a big problem this summer is our 5th place finish and European qualification. Clubs aren't stupid, they know how much more money, prestige and pull that gives us. The prices for us probably creep up accordingly. They think they can extort more out of us which I bet pisses the board off. It's probably the reason seemingly all of these offers have been leaked this time as well.

Then it seems we have utterly no idea how much they're going to cost us.  And if we do, we don't really want to pay it.

Not again. :facepalm:

What about it?  Humour me.

Do you not realise how daft your post makes you come across as?

We know how much man, we just take an almost ridiculously hardball approach to them. We're paying up front so we want to be 100% sure they're getting maximum value for money. We also appear to believe that we can get the player onside and let the selling club sweat in each case.

I would wager that a big problem this summer is our 5th place finish and European qualification. Clubs aren't stupid, they know how much more money, prestige and pull that gives us. The prices for us probably creep up accordingly. They think they can extort more out of us which I bet pisses the board off. It's probably the reason seemingly all of these offers have been leaked this time as well.

I will, of course, reserve judgement, until the end of the window.

I just sincerely hope that the approach doesn't sacrifice quality players for the sake of a few million quid.  I realise it's a slippery slope, but I think most people laughed at how horrendous our bid for Douglas was.  I'm not surprise Twente aren't snapping our hands off.

Explain.

We're told hundreds of times from the staff at the club how much thought and research goes into our signings, players we've watched for years.

We then bid a figure that the club laughs at, and tells us to go away.  Fair enough, we move on to other targets.

What I can't fathom is why we bother in the first place with all the research, if what we're prepared to pay is so shambolic.  Maybe we're just chancing our arms, but why don't we have these things sorted before the transfer window?  We seem to waste weeks and months chasing players like this, when we just don't seem to have a chance of getting them at the money we're prepared to pay. 

We've proven in the past that if the right bargain isn't available, we're prepared to wait - even if it means gambling by having slightly too few players.  I sincerely hope they don't take this gamble in the first half of the season, esp. if Cisse gets injured and Ba gets ramadanitis again.  No Best to bail them out anymore, of course.

:thup:

I will, of course, reserve judgement, until the end of the window.

I just sincerely hope that the approach doesn't sacrifice quality players for the sake of a few million quid.  I realise it's a slippery slope, but I think most people laughed at how horrendous our bid for Douglas was.  I'm not surprise Twente aren't snapping our hands off.

If it was one of our players who had already hinted he wanted to move, was in the last year of his contract and turned up to pre-season in such bad shape he wasn't included in the first few pre-season I am sure a fair few would be salivating at £3m and with no disrespect to the Dutch league we are a few levels above.

We play hardball, that is just how we operate and at the moment it is really working for us.

Saying "How much do you want?" at the first meeting is stupid.

"We want €7million"

"Is €4million OK?"

"What?"

We bid low, they reject it, we bid a bit higher, they act accordingly. We either meet in the middle or we don't.

Explain.

We're told hundreds of times from the staff at the club how much thought and research goes into our signings, players we've watched for years.

We then bid a figure that the club laughs at, and tells us to go away.  Fair enough, we move on to other targets.

What I can't fathom is why we bother in the first place with all the research, if what we're prepared to pay is so shambolic.  Maybe we're just chancing our arms, but why don't we have these things sorted before the transfer window?  We seem to waste weeks and months chasing players like this, when we just don't seem to have a chance of getting them at the money we're prepared to pay. 

We've proven in the past that if the right bargain isn't available, we're prepared to wait - even if it means gambling by having slightly too few players.  I sincerely hope they don't take this gamble in the first half of the season, esp. if Cisse gets injured and Ba gets ramadanitis again.  No Best to bail them out anymore, of course.

Firstly, what does how much we're willing to pay have to do with Douglas saying he wants to stay at Twente for the time being (not that it means much either as he needs to stay for his international aspirations anyway)? I'd also be interested to know why you think this offer we have been rumoured to have made for him is so laughable too.

Secondly - Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Santon, Cisse and you could potentially also add Ba and Marveaux to that list.

We got all of those in relatively stress free, what's the problem with the way we work? We look for value, we play hardball. As Dave mentioned, we pay everything up front too which gives us the right to offer less than what we value a player at. Also don't understand why so many people seem so keen for us to open up with a big offer/an asking price?! It's madness; you start low and then go from there.

You've pretty much asked why we don't bother researching how much it will cost to get a player to sign for us, I'm fairly certain we do but we try and get them cheaper than that (and why the hell not?) as well as biding our time. Again, what's wrong with that? People need to be patient and appreciate that good work is going on behind the scenes. It's completely stupid for anyone to want to question the way we handle transfers given our success over recent years.

Personally, don't know how people can question our deals with the signings we've made recently.

Exactly

Cabaye

Santon

Cisse

Ba

Tiote

Ben Arfa

If they were all English we would have probably paid that much for one of them :lol:

I think people assume signing players is like FM ffs.

Make a bid, rejected.

Click, click, click. Rejected.

Click, click, click. Accepted.

Signed within 3 minutes.

Why don't yoo joost do that Ashley? Huhh? Joost pay them what they want.

We're also trying to sign players that are in a way over and above our station. It's fuck easy to sign players if you're signing Craig Gardner or some rank average player. But if you're aiming for the best, which is what we've done then you're going to have rejection and failure both in terms of bids and in terms of the player's demands.

We saw it last season and this season. We were rejected by Gameiro, we were rejected by Gervinho, we were priced out of a move for Cisse. However the ones we do get are turning out to be mint because we're aiming high.

I think people assume signing players is like FM ffs.

Make a bid, rejected.

Click, click, click. Rejected.

Click, click, click. Accepted.

Signed within 3 minutes.

Why don't yoo joost do that Ashley? Huhh? Joost pay them what they want.

The 'Just pay what they want ffs, it's only a couple of million!!!' really annoys me.

I know football is a little different but there seems to be a complete lack of comprehension of negotiation.

Guest icemanblue

We're also trying to sign players that are in a way over and above our station. It's fuck easy to sign players if you're signing Craig Gardner or some rank average player. But if you're aiming for the best, which is what we've done then you're going to have rejection and failure both in terms of bids and in terms of the player's demands.

We saw it last season and this season. We were rejected by Gameiro, we were rejected by Gervinho, we were priced out of a move for Cisse. However the ones we do get are turning out to be mint because we're aiming high.

Aye, the disappointments of the last window seem to have been completely forgotten about.

Personally, don't know how people can question our deals with the signings we've made recently.

Exactly

Cabaye

Santon

Cisse

Ba

Tiote

Ben Arfa

If they were all English we would have probably paid that much for one of them :lol:

http://i47.tinypic.com/1zf0ozm.jpg

Aye, the disappointments of the last window seem to have been completely forgotten about.

Think how shit the 3 in this league that we didn't get (Gervinho, Ruiz and N'Zogbia) have done has helped. You wonder if they had done as shit if they'd came here? did we get lucky or are a good platform for these players right now?