Douglas

BONTEMPI

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/330058

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-wire/newcastle-agree-fee-with-fc-twen/

Newcastle United have agreed a £5m fee with FC Twente to sign centre-back Douglas, a player who United have been linked with for a number of months.

The Express is reporting as fact that the deal has been agreed, the first frontline signing of the season and confirmation of Alan Pardew’s stated intention to bring in more competition at centre-half, assuming there are no last minute glitches with the deal or the medical.

A player who would appear to have the physique for the Premier League but who has had his temperament doubted. Whether Douglas was at the very top of our centre-half shopping list is unknown but maybe it was more achievable than that of Vertonghen from Ajax.

With Douglas, the realistic fee and associated wages, along with his age, make him a player with plenty of potential to grow in value and prove a real asset, though you have to accept that there is a certain risk factor associated with him.

On another positive note, the Dutch national manager has publicly stated that he is looking forward to having the option of selecting Douglas once he is eligible in September, though seeing Holland in the World Cup you can certainly understand why he is looking desperately for alternatives

Express source link at top

Hope it's not bullshit

Guest sicko2ndbest

There is a Douglas thread isn't there?

Edit: just searched to no avail my mistake

Great signing if true, monster of a Center Half

Guest sicko2ndbest

Did a quick search but couldn't see it anywhere

I did the same, could've swore there was. Oh well, 50 pages by end of day :)

Did a quick search but couldn't see it anywhere

I did the same, could've swore there was. Oh well, 50 pages by end of day :)

Same here, must have just been in the transfer thread.

Recall Douglas himself saying he wanted CL, I think... or something which struck me as somewhat big-headed. I'm hungover so I might be talking bollocks :thup:

Was the guy who said a "bigger club than Newcastle" were interested in him. Came across as a bit of a twat from that like, but yeah hopefully a sound signing if true.

Recall Douglas himself saying he wanted CL, I think... or something which struck me as somewhat big-headed. I'm hungover so I might be talking bollocks :thup:

Was the guy who said a "bigger club than Newcastle" were interested in him. Came across as a bit of a twat from that like, but yeah hopefully a sound signing if true.

That might be the one O0

Wouldn't want us to sign a stepping-stone matherfacker if we can at all help it tbh.

Guest BooBoo

Don't think the Express (who on earth buys that paper!?) reporting this is enough to warrant a thread tbh.

Was the guy who said a "bigger club than Newcastle" were interested in him. Came across as a bit of a t*** from that like, but yeah hopefully a sound signing if true.

That might be the one O0

Wouldn't want us to sign a stepping-stone matherfacker if we can at all help it tbh.

How exactly does saying big clubs are in for him equal him being a stepping-stone matherfacker?

Was the guy who said a "bigger club than Newcastle" were interested in him. Came across as a bit of a t*** from that like, but yeah hopefully a sound signing if true.

That might be the one O0

How exactly does saying big clubs are in for him equal him being a stepping-stone matherfacker?

I suppose it doesn't per force, but mentioning club size etc when there's no real need to, does to me indicate that he believes he is worthy of somewhere which he (/perceives) is bigger than Newcastle. He may very well be, but to make a statement like that without prompting is not exactly promising.