La Liga 14/15

Disco

Guest Incandenza

Newcastle fans forming a breakaway club is a completely different kettle of fish, because it could potentially end the magic of being a one club city.

Unless the club moves, changes name or goes bust then ditching it is the cowards way out

If the club changed the name of the stadium (again), and the colour of our kit, there would essentially be nothing left of the club, bar the name of the club and the history, and you would lose all connection to the club, that is currently happening. I don't think a new club forming by fans like SanToon said, would be a bad thing, atleast you would have some form of belief in the team again.

Unless the club moves, changes name or goes bust then ditching it is the cowards way out

It's not war ffs.

yep far more important than that

Give soldiers newly formed football clubs wars.

(I can't do text speech even in Joke form).

Hey VI, how does the Spanish League system work. Just had a look and it seems a bit confusing. Do 18 teams get promoted from the various sub leagues in the overall Tercera division to the Segunda B and there various leagues? Is that right?

No, 54 teams are promoted to Tercera, and the same number are relegated. Tercera has 18 different groups, 3 are relegated to Regional from each group, and the top 4 enter the promotion playoffs. From the 72 clubs that enter the playoffs, 15 get promoted to Segunda B.

Think of it as an actual pyramid, where each group has up to 4 groups in a lower tier "supporting" it. It is done to reduce travel expenses, since every group comprises an increasingly smaller geographical area. That makes it really hard to get promoted, though, since a lot of clubs are competing for a meager 3 spots in the next tier.

Basically the same as British pyramid just with regionalisation at a higher step

I think yours works better. Spain is larger than England, but our pyramid made more sense in a time when the rail or road links in the country were not the ones we have now.

The dropoff in quality within Segunda B is too high, 80 teams...

Hey VI, how does the Spanish League system work. Just had a look and it seems a bit confusing. Do 18 teams get promoted from the various sub leagues in the overall Tercera division to the Segunda B and there various leagues? Is that right?

No, 54 teams are promoted to Tercera, and the same number are relegated. Tercera has 18 different groups, 3 are relegated to Regional from each group, and the top 4 enter the promotion playoffs. From the 72 clubs that enter the playoffs, 15 get promoted to Segunda B.

Think of it as an actual pyramid, where each group has up to 4 groups in a lower tier "supporting" it. It is done to reduce travel expenses, since every group comprises an increasingly smaller geographical area. That makes it really hard to get promoted, though, since a lot of clubs are competing for a meager 3 spots in the next tier.

Ah fair enough :thup: so it's essentially like the lower tiers of the English pyramid, like Swelley said. I would have thought that, that is actually a good thing for the Spanish game, as it means the quality of team is pretty much at the same level between the 18 divisions and they are still technically in the forth tier, I don't know what that equivalent level would be, but it makes things more competitive, which is always a good thing. So do the top teams in the various divisions not get promoted as standard?

Fyi It made me chucle that you started that post with No 54 :lol:

Ah fair enough :thup: so it's essentially like the lower tiers of the English pyramid, like Swelley said. I would have thought that, that is actually a good thing for the Spanish game, as it means the quality of team is pretty much at the same level between the 18 divisions and they are still technically in the forth tier, I don't know what that equivalent level would be, but it makes things more competitive, which is always a good thing. So do the top teams in the various divisions not get promoted as standard?

Fyi It made me chucle that you started that post with No 54 :lol:

No, but they usually get a bye in the playoffs or other advantages (winners of Segunda B play between themselves for 2 promotion spots, and losers get entered into a playoff with the 2nd-4th placed teams, for example).

I personally think it hurts the good teams in Segunda B. It makes the league harder to market since there's a lot of rubbish in it, and too many games going on. The good teams that get sucked into it have a tough time getting back up, and face significant damage given how financially poor the league is. It's derisively called "El Pozo" - the pit.

Real up 4 points. Barca really f***ed up this weekend. They're lucky that the title will still be in their hands if Real lose or draw once but if they don't win the Clasico then this one is done.

Too early. Madrid threw away the title last season. If they get to another CL final, they're likely to throw La Liga again.

Spain's Anti-Violence in Sports Commission has called for the closure of Betis' stadium south end -where their ultras are seated - after repeated chants against the wife of Rubén Castro. Castro is to face trial on 4 counts of beating his wife. Scum.

This is part of our authorities recent drive to clamp down on unsavory chants in Spanish stadiums. Several other incidents will be reviewed in the following weeks, involving pretty much every club in La Liga.

Almería docked 3 points because of an outstanding debt of 50k to Aalborg for the signing of Jakobsen.

@sidlowe: Almeria are in te relegation zone, says the Spanish Football Federation. No, they're not, says the Spanish Football League.

Spain's Anti-Violence in Sports Commission has called for the closure of Betis' stadium south end -where their ultras are seated - after repeated chants against the wife of Rubén Castro. Castro is to face trial on 4 counts of beating his wife. Scum.

This is part of our authorities recent drive to clamp down on unsavory chants in Spanish stadiums. Several other incidents will be reviewed in the following weeks, involving pretty much every club in La Liga.

Didn't Barca get fined for their fans singing "Cristiano is a drunk. Cristiano is a drunk" ?

I think Cristiano is famously tea-total and once successfully sued a British tabloid because they wrongly said he went out and got drunk one night. Used the money to set-up a charity related to alcoholics in some way. Think his dad was an alcoholic or something and he vowed to never go that route.

in that context - it's pretty funny because you know it would get to Ronaldo. The Messi one, perhaps Messi is Mayweather-like.