NUFC: The Premier League Years

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

Just an idea to ease the boredom of this rather dull pre season (so far). Pick a season from Newcastle's PL era and discuss your own personal memories, great games, heroes and villains. Feel free to facepalm.

I'll go with our second season back 94/95. We started with a few new additions from WC1994 in Hottiger and Albert and started on fire, winning I think our first six games. It was still the Keegan party era and it was a fantastic time to support the club. Rob Lee and Steve Watson in particular started the season brilliantly with Andy Cole still in his pomp. We had the brief Euro jaunt, smashing Antwerp 10-2 on aggregate and then foolishly blowing a 3-0 lead v Bilbao to go out on away goals. It seemed over just as it had begun.

In the league, I remember being at a beam back for the Man Utd away game. Unfortunately we never turned up and Man Utd eased to a 2-0 win. It was the game that Keegan got a stork on for Gilliespie who scored the killer second. After that the season wobbled with Cole losing form to the point he was sold to Man Utd in January. I recall being at school when the news broke with loads of rumours that we'd actually got Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes or Gary Neville in return. Fergie being no fool, clearly ditched the black sheep in Gillespie who had has his moments for us but was never in the same calibre of the other Man Utd youngsters who would be around for years. We were left without a quality striker to play with Beardsley but Paul Kitson did okay and we got through to a quarter final in the FA Cup at Goodison. KKs sides never seemed to perform well in the cups and we bowed out 1-0 with Ruel Fox missing a late open goal. To compound the annoyance, Everton went on to lift the cup and bump us out of the UEFA qualifying slots. The season fizzled out a little bit although a fantastic 3-3 draw v Spurs late on was a highlight. Darren Anderton scoring one of the best goals by an opposing player I've seen at St James.

It felt very much like a consolidation season after the first season back up and was to precede the summer of 95 that would be arguably the most exciting pre season I've ever known. KK bringing in Ferdinand, Warren Barton, Shaka Hislop and David Ginola in one of those summers that seemed to be always sunny and go on for ever. Great days.

Canny thread this like. Remember Rob Lee scoring a peach at home against Liverpool in that early season run of wins.

That Bilbao tie just seemed to set the tone for the rest of that season.

2006/07 - otherwise known as 'Roeder's full season'

High points:

Edgar's goal

Martins form in the middle of the season

Martins vs Spurs

Roeder getting the sack

The first emergence of Carroll

Harper wheeling away as we won on penalties for the first time in 10000 years

Doing the double over Spurs

Palermo

Low points:

50% of the home games

The dismal home defeat to Sheffield United

The even dismal-er defeat at Alkmaar

Paul Huntington and his fucking gay hair

Roeder losing the plot and giving that speech about failure being 'stitched into the badge'

The pathetic season-closer at Watford where Martins went AWOL, N'Zogbia texted during the team talk and Pattison injured Owen

1-5 defeat to Birmingham in the cup (where Ramage and Pattison gave two of the worst performances I have ever witnessed)

Guest BooBoo

Can't underestimate how much of a hero Andy Cole was. After years of having fairly shitty players, we suddenly had the most explosive striker in the country. He want around for long but for many young fans, he was the first real hero for years.

He made his name and won stuff for Man Utd but as a finisher I don't think he was ever better than 93-95 for us.

Never forget the day we sold Andy Cole.  Me dad picked me up from school, I was 7 and a half, he was my idol (Cole, not me dad).  He told me straight away Was in tears and sulked in my room all night.

Remember the caretaker at school telling me, thought he was taking the piss. Was devastated when I got home

Guest BooBoo

2006/07 - otherwise known as 'Roeder's full season'

High points:

Edgar's goal

Martins form in the middle of the season

Martins vs Spurs

Roeder getting the sack

The first emergence of Carroll

Harper wheeling away as we won on penalties for the first time in 10000 years

Doing the double over Spurs

Palermo

Low points:

50% of the home games

The dismal home defeat to Sheffield United

The even dismal-er defeat at Alkmaar

Paul Huntington and his fucking gay hair

Roeder losing the plot and giving that speech about failure being 'stitched into the badge'

The pathetic season-closer at Watford where Martins went AWOL, N'Zogbia texted during the team talk and Pattison injured Owen

1-5 defeat to Birmingham in the cup (where Ramage and Pattison gave two of the worst performances I have ever witnessed)

At the Sheffield Utd game I ended up having a slanging match with some lad who was angry that I was shouting "Shepherd Out!". Stewards ended up asking us both to leave. What a fucking horrible match that was.

06/07 was my last year with a ST.  Started uni Sept '07 and couldn't afford to keep it.

Honestly one of the worst seasons following NUFC, second only to the farce that was 08/09.  Absolutely no high points other than European games against some utterly bizarre opposition.

I remember sitting watching SSN on transfer deadline day, hoping, praying we'd get someone decent in.  Ended up with Sibierski and Giuseppe Rossi on loan.  Ever so underwhelming.

Tino stole my Parker pen the cunt.

Philippe Albert called me a silly billy when I dropped my pen down the drain whilst going to get his autograph.

How times haven't changed. :lol:

06/07 was my last year with a ST.  Started uni Sept '07 and couldn't afford to keep it.

Honestly one of the worst seasons following NUFC, second only to the farce that was 08/09.  Absolutely no high points other than European games against some utterly bizarre opposition.

I remember sitting watching SSN on transfer deadline day, hoping, praying we'd get someone decent in.  Ended up with Sibierski and Giuseppe Rossi on loan.  Ever so underwhelming.

I was out and about with some mates that night, remember telling another lad to text us if we signed anybody. Genuinely thought it was a pisstake when he texted saying Sibierski had signed.

04/05. Dreadful.

01/02 - Return of the entertainers

02/03 - Flying High

03/04 - The :notbad: Year

04/05 - The Bloodening

05/06 - The Bandaging

06/07 - The Coma

07/08 - Death of the Pariah - Return of 'the Messiah'

08/09 - Rock Bottom

09/10 - The :yao: Year

10/11 - The Return

11/12 - The Awakening

Or something.

had a history lesson the day of the Arsenal away game in 01/02.  Our teacher was a Liverpool-loving Northern Irishman.  He spent the whole hour laughing at us saying that we might win, telling us we'd get thumped and had fluked our league position.  It was the day before we broke up for Christmas IIRC.  Told us if Newcastle won then he wouldn't give us homework over the holiday

I remember about 12 of us hunting him down the following morning to gloat.  The b****** was still bitter and could only muster a s*** response.  Still gave us homework anarl, the c***.

Tino stole my Parker pen the cunt.

Philippe Albert called me a silly billy when I dropped my pen down the drain whilst going to get his autograph.

How times haven't changed. :lol:

:okay:

02/03.

Highlights:

Beating Juventus.

Beating Feyenoord in the final minutes with that Bellamy goal.

Ripping Everton apart for the whole game but somehow being 1-0 down until the 87th minutes when Shearer scored that goal then Bellamy scored a goal in similar style to the Feyenoord game.

Beating pretty much everyone and finishing 3rd.

Coming from 2-0 behind to Liverpool to draw 2-2 and being disappointed that we didn't win.

Shola scoring against Barcelona.

Doing the double of Leverkusen.

The Mackems.

Lowlights:

The Man Utd games.

That night in Marsielle.