NUFC: The Premier League Years

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

I keep on saying it but Billy Furious summed up the 03/04 season and the end of Robson's reign to perfection.

Was that "They wonder why we drink" book. Will have to dig that out sometime.

Missed the Ambrose goal in that Southampton match cos I fucking stormed out of the bar when we went 3-2 down. Absolute fucking nightmare.

:embarrassed:

Alan fucking Blayney made some ridiculous saves in the game. Bald cunt. Was gutted after that IIRC that was when CL slipped from our hands, fairly certain I had an argument with someone in the pub after this game too, was not in a good mood.

Was my first year at uni and I remember always having to ask the pub to put the football on for me, remember having to drag any old fucker to come and watch the European games with me and the pub being totally empty when the Valerenga game was on.

Also RE: Partizan, their no.2 Nadj was absolutely fucking amazing that game, still one of the best opposing performances I've seen.

Chased shadows against the Argies in 06 when they got smashed to fuck thar. Cnut.

I keep on saying it but Billy Furious summed up the 03/04 season and the end of Robson's reign to perfection.

Was that "They wonder why we drink" book. Will have to dig that out sometime.

It was aye. If I can find it I might type up that particular bit as he really did hit the nail on the head.

Love A Mag For All Seasons too.

The last thing the club needed was a home game against already relegated Wolves some three days later. Wounds from Marseilles were still fresh and it was a highly frustrating game when nothing went right. Shearer missed that late penalty and people went apeshit. Most walked out, snubbing the lap of honour, some booed the team off and shamefully booed Viana onto the pitch. No nothing critics later used it as a stick to beat Newcastle fans with, "Ungrateful Geordies boo old man Robson." It was nothing of the sort, but rather a knee jerk to a mind bendingly frustrating conclusion to the season. Yet another close but no cigar in a cup and the CL qualification was slipping away.  For a lot of supporters we'd been tantalised by success for ten years and bottled it every time on the final few laps. This one, a lot of long standing fans just seemed to snap.

In the end we scraped 5th with draws at Southampton and Liverpool but the rot for Bobby had well and truly set in. Looking back, a firm decision had to be made that summer, back the fella or sack him. Shepherd did neither, keeping him on but seemingly removing any power decisions from him. He also told him that next year would be his last; excellent motivational man management there Fred. That summer, Bobby said one thing and the club did another. "We don't need Nicky Butt when we've already got Hugo" Bobby said. Two weeks later, Butt had signed. It was a calamitous piece of dithering by Shepherd that only resulted in further unrest, a dismal start to 04/05 and a chain of events that would end up in the nightmare of the Souness era.

:thup: :thup:

Yep - very good post. The difference between us and Liverpool that summer was that they pipped us to 4th and then went out and got the highest rate young manager in Europe to ensure they pushed on in Benitez, who's Valencia side were flying at the time.

We fucked around and then appointed Knackers.

Yet another chapter in Shepherds book on 'How Not to Run a Football Club'. Fucking clown.

Guest bimpy474

Sporting Lisbon was one of the most gutted I've ever been. Going 1 up there made it much worse.

My heart sunk when Dyer pulled up, he was running them silly... :(

Tedious boring man was Roeder. Dreadful decision to give him a permanent managers job.

Used to love his patter about "Glenn Roeder knows Glenn Roeder, and Glenn Roeder will never give up on Glenn Roeder."