Arabi chief mulls buying Newcastle

EthiGeordie

no thanks, don't really want to be part of what is the biggest danger to the game.

It's also the future of the game, sadly..

IYO

Not sure if it's a matter of opinion after seeing what Chelsea and Man City have achieved in the last 8 or so seasons through outside investment.

does that mean it's the future of the game ?

Let's put it this way: if this trend of megarich individuals buying English football clubs and investing huge sums of money in them continues there is a significant chance that clubs who don't have a megarich owner will be unable to compete and in a few years time the Premiership will consist of these kinds of clubs. It's not a vision of the future I particularly look forward to, but sadly it does look like that's exactly what the future holds, yes.

i hope not. i foresee a legal challange to do with FFP after blatter has gone that will blow that whole scene away.

no thanks, don't really want to be part of what is the biggest danger to the game.

IYO

Not sure if it's a matter of opinion after seeing what Chelsea and Man City have achieved in the last 8 or so seasons through outside investment.

Let's put it this way: if this trend of megarich individuals buying English football clubs and investing huge sums of money in them continues there is a significant chance that clubs who don't have a megarich owner will be unable to compete and in a few years time the Premiership will consist of these kinds of clubs. It's not a vision of the future I particularly look forward to, but sadly it does look like that's exactly what the future holds, yes.

For you, the future is now. Only Man U have any chance of stopping City cleaning up for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea and Man City dominate the Premiership in the next few years and Man United go the way of Liverpool, especially when the red nosed one finally packs it in.

IYO

i hope not. i foresee a legal challange to do with FFP after blatter has gone that will blow that whole scene away.

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's fucked without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

IYO

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's f***ed without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

why do you think they haven't already ? the crowds won't turn up. check the crowds for the champs league till the knock outs. without the crowds the interest dies ,as would the tv audiences then where does the money come from ?

blatter is happy with things as they are, i'm not so sure platini is.

i'd always rather be us as we are, earning our way than be a man citeh or chelsea.

Poor article, they're using the rumours of the price Ashley wanted while we were in the Championship.  As if that won't have changed now that we're not only back in the Premier League but just finished 5th..  Also just as important is the news of the increased TV money.  That'll increase revenue significantly which in turn will increase the clubs value even further.  I'd be surprised if he'd take much under £200m now.

IYO

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's fucked without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

This has been threatened for years, its never happened because the interest really wouldn't be there.  People would watch it like people watch pre-season tournaments, but that's not going to produce to kind of money that makes it worth losing league, cup, European revenue.  Plus the clubs involved would be seen as outcasts, I can't see UEFA being that shit scared of such a threat to be honest.

Guest VaVaVoom

It's took something like this to actually prove that we are happy with MA.

Even if this was true, even if they were actually Man City type of owners, I wouldnt want them.

For a long time many hated Ashley and with reason, time goes by, we progress on and off the pitch and we have a good plan goin forward. Most now want Ashley to stay and feel he is by far the best thing for the club...now.

Anyway this is all bullshit bollocks.

"Be happy with what you've got".......we are.

Just, Ashley, change it back to St James Park man will you.

IYO

Clubs like Chelsea are clearly laughing their bollocks off about FFP. I can see them and the likes of Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Inter etc. threaten to form a breakaway European competition and UEFA will soon fold as it knows it's f***ed without these clubs in its primary money making competition..

This has been threatened for years, its never happened because the interest really wouldn't be there.  People would watch it like people watch pre-season tournaments, but that's not going to produce to kind of money that makes it worth losing league, cup, European revenue.  Plus the clubs involved would be seen as outcasts, I can't see UEFA being that s*** scared of such a threat to be honest.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a league format that includes the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, PSG, FC Porto, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, etc. wouldn't be able to compete with a league that would see us vs Stoke and Sunderland vs Everton as its "super sunday" features. UEFA is at the leash of the big clubs whether we like it or not, and FFP will do more to protect and serve their interests than put a dent in it in reality.

IYO

This has been threatened for years, its never happened because the interest really wouldn't be there.  People would watch it like people watch pre-season tournaments, but that's not going to produce to kind of money that makes it worth losing league, cup, European revenue.  Plus the clubs involved would be seen as outcasts, I can't see UEFA being that s*** scared of such a threat to be honest.

I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that a league format that includes the likes of Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia, PSG, FC Porto, Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, etc. wouldn't be able to compete with a league that would see us vs Stoke and Sunderland vs Everton as its "super sunday" features. UEFA is at the leash of the big clubs whether we like it or not, and FFP will do more to protect and serve their interests than put a dent in it in reality.

see how many valencia fans turn out for week after week against that lot, those super clubs will weed themselves out again. remember a league of those clubs will have many of them mid table with nowt to play for and those at the bottom getting sick of getting beat and losing their better players to those higher up. us playing valencia, psg is nice but i wouldn't want it week in week out at the expense of our domestic stuff.

i wonder what interest there'd be in inter mialn v benfica with nothing at stake and a third of the season to go ?

You'd end up with 2 or 3 clubs dominating it and a load of clubs who are used to being the big boys becoming the also rans. The league would very quickly become boring, predictable, uninteresting and not very marketable.

They'll be cutting their noses off to spite their faces. Not to mention it would be the death of the heartbeat of all of those clubs: the local matchgoing supporters.

You'd end up with 2 or 3 clubs dominating it and a load of clubs who are used to being the big boys becoming the also rans. The league would very quickly become boring, predictable, uninteresting and not very marketable.

They'll be cutting their noses off to spite their faces. Not to mention it would be the death of the heartbeat of all of those clubs: the local matchgoing supporters.

and they know that, it's why it hasn't happened and why the champs league is designed the way it is.

IYO

see how many valencia fans turn out for week after week against that lot, those super clubs will weed themselves out again. remember a league of those clubs will have many of them mid table with nowt to play for and those at the bottom getting sick of getting beat and losing their better players to those higher up. us playing valencia, psg is nice but i wouldn't want it week in week out at the expense of our domestic stuff.

i wonder what interest there'd be in inter mialn v benfica with nothing at stake and a third of the season to go ?

:thup: Sums it up. And even the teams that are doing well, how many fans are honestly going to travel to away games in Europe every other week for a whole season? The big clubs can threaten it all they want, it'll damage them as much as it'd damage UEFA. It'd be a logistical nightmare which, if overcome to start, the novelty would wear off very quickly. Especially when Man Utd or Chelsea are only battling to be top half with hope of a promising Cup run, and they lose half their fans.

It's the same sort of thing as that Liverpool wanker wanting to get rid of equal TV money share because people don't watch the little clubs. Fact is they do. The league is so marketable because of what it is, the different teams, the history, the genuine atmosphere in the stadiums created by the genuine fans, scraping relegation, battling for European slots. These are all important things that contribute to the league being so marketable.

The Super League would be interesting for a few years but people would very quickly get bored and disillusioned by it. 90% of it would become essentially the CL group stages, atmosphere would be non-existant at half the games. More and more of matchgoing fans would be pushed out of it. There would be no away support whatsoever. It would be a pile of wank.

It might happen but I don't think it will. I think they realise that the essence of the sport will be lost thankfully.

If they genuinely did begin the process of doing so, I like to think FIFA would back UEFA up. Don't give them the time of day. They want to start from scratch? Let them. Let them set up their own organisation that can deal with it all, see how far they get.

It's the same sort of thing as that Liverpool w***** wanting to get rid of equal TV money share because people don't watch the little clubs. Fact is they do. The league is so marketable because of what it is, the different teams, the history, the genuine atmosphere in the stadiums created by the genuine fans, scraping relegation, battling for European slots. These are all important things that contribute to the league being so marketable.

The Super League would be interesting for a few years but people would very quickly get bored and disillusioned by it. 90% of it would become essentially the CL group stages, atmosphere would be non-existant at half the games. More and more of matchgoing fans would be pushed out of it. There would be no away support whatsoever. It would be a pile of w***.

It might happen but I don't think it will. I think they realise that the essence of the sport will be lost thankfully.

got to disagree there, people want to watch the clubs at the top more, however if the clubs at the top get all the money then they stay there, by sharing the money round from pooled incomings it stops the playong field from becoming too lop sided.

It's the same sort of thing as that Liverpool w***** wanting to get rid of equal TV money share because people don't watch the little clubs. Fact is they do. The league is so marketable because of what it is, the different teams, the history, the genuine atmosphere in the stadiums created by the genuine fans, scraping relegation, battling for European slots. These are all important things that contribute to the league being so marketable.

The Super League would be interesting for a few years but people would very quickly get bored and disillusioned by it. 90% of it would become essentially the CL group stages, atmosphere would be non-existant at half the games. More and more of matchgoing fans would be pushed out of it. There would be no away support whatsoever. It would be a pile of w***.

got to disagree there, people want to watch the clubs at the top more, however if the clubs at the top get all the money then they stay there, by sharing the money round from pooled incomings it stops the playong field from becoming too lop sided.

Yeah but without the other clubs there is no opposition to play. That's the point. The league is 20 teams and they all contribute equally to the competition and in turn the 'product' simply by each playing 38 games.

It doesn't really stop the playing field being too lop-sided btw, it's still like that. But it does help a little bit.

Yeah but without the other clubs there is no opposition to play. That's the point. The league is 20 teams and they all contribute equally to the competition and in turn the 'product' simply by each playing 38 games.

It doesn't really stop the playing field being too lop-sided btw, it's still like that. But it does help a little bit.

liverpool wanted a system like they have in spain where clubs sell their own tv rights. personally i think all the tv money should be divided up equally and each club shopuld be on the same ammount of times.

liverpool wanted a system like they have in spain where clubs sell their own tv rights. personally i think all the tv money should be divided up equally and each club shopuld be on the same ammount of times.

:thup:

Bigger clubs always tend to rise to the top but it takes away most of the glass ceilings. I'd love to be in a league where the way we're going on at the moment (with our transfer policy etc) you could physically imagine us challenging for the title.

I mean, it's not as if we've always been up there in the past. But there was always a chance through clever management and maximinsing undoubted potential that it was possible. Right now it is simply impossible with the sugardaddy clubs imo.

Bigger clubs always tend to rise to the top but it takes away most of the glass ceilings. I'd love to be in a league where the way we're going on at the moment (with our transfer policy etc) you could physically imagine us challenging for the title.

I mean, it's not as if we've always been up there in the past. But there was always a chance through clever management and maximinsing undoubted potential that it was possible. Right now it is simply impossible with the sugardaddy clubs imo.

its not so much the sugardaddy clubs but the cl money for me, your talking an extra £30m minimum per year your in there which is a hard gap to breach

agree with that.

but had a giggle at "physically imagine".

agree with that.

but had a giggle at "physically imagine".

:p You get what I mean.