Junior Hoilett finally joins QPR

Guest sicko2ndbest

^^^^ As does Carroll tbh.

Carroll isn't worth 15m in anyone's fantasy, especially as a 3rd choice striker :lol: and Hoilett provides more than Carroll does.

Neither fill me with excitement tbh, but Carroll for 15m or Hoilett for 5m i'd choose Hoilett everyday.

Carroll for 15m is insanity.

I'd like Hoilett here, but not for the personal fee (plus compensation) he'll demand and the wages. It's why QPR are frontrunners, the same club that had no problem giving Barton & SWP over £80kpw, Hoilett will be getting the same.

^^^^ As does Carroll tbh.

Carroll isn't worth 15m in anyone's fantasy, especially as a 3rd choice striker :lol: and Hoilett provides more than Carroll does.

Neither fill me with excitement tbh, but Carroll for 15m or Hoilett for 5m i'd choose Hoilett everyday.

Carroll for 15m is insanity.

Really? What is he worth then? When you look at the prices players are going for these days. I just think it's incredibly short sighted to say £15m for Carroll is insanity based entirely on the previous season and his goal tally. What would you price him at in December 2010?

I think the fact that he's signing for QPR in itself tells us alot about why NUFC aren't interested.

I really dislike Hoilett, like really really dislike him, but I still think he has far more to offer than Carroll.  At least he would fit into a better system of football.

Don't see how Hoillet fits into any system of football to be honest, he's pretty much the consummate individualist

I think the fact that he's signing for QPR in itself tells us alot about why NUFC aren't interested.

I really dislike Hoilett, like really really dislike him, but I still think he has far more to offer than Carroll.  At least he would fit into a better system of football.

Don't see how Hoillet fits into any system of football to be honest, he's pretty much the consummate individualist

I'm not saying I'd want him here, because I don't, but he's just a better fit for a 4-3-3 type system.

I'm not saying I'd want him here, because I don't, but he's just a better fit for a 4-3-3 type system.

I have my doubts. Our 4-3-3 is predicated almost entirely on intelligent interplay between the front three making up for their relative isolation on the pitch.

Hoilett strikes me as being neither savvy nor unselfish enough to make that work. Think we'd see a lot of him giving the ball away or running himself into the corner flag.

Can someone explain to me why Andy Carroll is not a 15m striker?

At the moment, he's a big asset to a lower-to-mid table Premiership team, because although he's not that versatile, he is guaranteed to cause defences a certain amount of trouble. If your aim is survival or consolidation (as was the case with us when we came up), then he's your man.

For teams who are aiming to win things, his movement doesn't look good enough for the kind of intricate interpassing and swapping of positions that teams like that use to open up defences. And they're the clubs who pay big wages and transfer fees.

He's yet to prove that he can make that jump. Liverpool thought he could and have now changed their minds. None of the mega-clubs seem to think he's ready. Ashley, the arch-gambler, seems willing to take the chance. He could be proved right of course.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

At the moment, he's a big asset to a lower-to-mid table Premiership team, because although he's not that versatile, he is guaranteed to cause defences a certain amount of trouble. If your aim is survival or consolidation (as was the case with us when we came up), then he's your man.

For teams who are aiming to win things, his movement doesn't look good enough for the kind of intricate interpassing and swapping of positions that teams like that use to open up defences. And they're the clubs who pay big wages and transfer fees.

He's yet to prove that he can make that jump. Liverpool thought he could and have now changed their minds. None of the mega-clubs seem to think he's ready. Ashley, the arch-gambler, seems willing to take the chance. He could be proved right of course.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

:thup: He's not worth 15 million because he's not good enough to play in a side that can afford £15 million.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

:thup: He's not worth 15 million because he's not good enough to play in a side that can afford £15 million.

Stop embarassing yourselves please. He's 23, an important player for your national team and he was valued at considerably more than 15 million by several clubs at the top end of the table only 18 months ago.

I would still say he's worth about 15, to get him for less than that could be considered a bargain. I don't want us to buy him, but I would say that's about where his value is. Obviously there are exceptional bargains, like Cisse, but even so.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

Stop embarassing yourselves please. He's 23, an important player for your national team and he was valued at considerably more than 15 million by several clubs at the top end of the table only 18 months ago.

He IS 23. That much is true. He's not an important player for England and many rubbish English players are valued very highly based on very little.

You're getting nowhere with your crusade tbh.

It's more a question of why pay 15million on Carroll when you could look elsewhere and sign someone with more quality at a better price.

The inflation in English players probably does equate to Carroll to being worth around 15 million but you could go abroad and look for  striker for around that price who has a fair degree more talent than Carroll, which would suit our side more in a technical sense.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

He IS 23. That much is true. He's not an important player for England and many rubbish English players are valued very highly based on very little.

Spurs bid 25 million for him, and Liverpool got him for 35 million a mere 18 months ago. Those are the facts, like it or lump it. His value has undeniably dropped since then, but to say he will never again be valued at anything over 15 million or play for a team in the top half of the table is just shortsighted.

I'm not on a crusade btw. I'd be exstatic if we manage to unearth another Cisse don't get me wrong, but the fact we've been priced out of a move for a relatively unproven prospect like Luuk de Jong should tell you those bargains aren't as easy to find as some suggest.

Me, I'd go for Hoilett.

Spurs bid 25 million for him, and Liverpool got him for 35 million a mere 18 months ago. Those are the facts, like it or lump it. His value has undeniably dropped since then, but to say he will never again be valued at anything over 15 million or play for a team in the top half of the table is just shortsighted.

I'm not on a crusade btw. I'd be exstatic if we manage to unearth another Cisse don't get me wrong, but the fact we've been priced out of a move for a relatively unproven prospect like Luuk de Jong should tell you those bargains aren't as easy to find as some suggest.

Should I even bother listing the Milner, Downing, Henderson etc examples of hugely inflated valuations for English players? More was added to Carroll because they were desperate and we massively took advantage of that. If he wasn't English we'd get him for his true value, which is under £10million.

We were mid-table when he was here, Liverpool became firmly mid-table with him and now a raft of mid-table clubs are interested in him. Maybe he's mid-table.

Were Spurs midtable when they bid 25 milion?

I'm not on a crusade btw.

:rolleyes: