Relegation Candidates 2012/13

Minhosa

Having given this some thought over the last couple of weeks (for antepost betting purposes mainly), next season could be a real eye opener when you consider the sheer volume of managerial change across the Premiership, the additional spending power of some of the teams who you would expect to see in and around the bottom 3rd of the table; Reading, QPR, Southampton etc.

Considering each of the obvious contenders on their merits, it promises to be a really interesting season next year I reckon;-

QPR -  New owner, spending money, typical Hughes (aka Martin 'Neill Lite) side; hard to beat, grafting, well drilled etc. You'd expect them to make a serious go at survival.

Swansea - New Manager, difficult second season syndrome potentially, new/slightly different style of players. Rumours of key departures (Allen) and already some interesting acquisitions.

Norwich - As above, without the rumoured departures. Again, some interesting signings (Butterfield) and a steady, unflappable manager in Hughton. How will they cope with the departure of the superb Lambert? But, then again, Hughton has proved to be adept at creating/maintaining togetherness and in getting players to play for him.

Southampton - New boys who you would imagine would be seriously at risk but then they seem to be investing heavily, indeed buying very well and arrive on the back of a superb season last year.

Reading - Yet another team arriving fresh from a very good year last season and investing heavily in fairly solid performers. New owner seemingly looking to make an impact. Rumours of even more cash to spend.

West Ham - Allardyce sides don't require too much discussion. Effective, efficient, all about survival and likely to get it. Will also invest cash.

West Brom - yet another new manager/head coach with a first shot at the big time as a permanent gaffer. Having served under Mourinho and others he starts with plenty of experience and inherits a fairly solid side from Hodgson. Without investment though and on the back of the other sides around them spending heavily, it could put WBA at risk.

Wigan - Always attacked by vultures every summer, always have a shit start and middle yet always seem to survive. I, for one, am hoping that this is the year but you can't doubt their seemingly unrivalled ability to avoid the drop year after year.

Thats 8 potential relegation candidates even without considering Lambert may not be a success at Villa, O'Neill may spit his dummy out at Sunderland, Stoke may continue to regress southbound or David Moyes may be hit by a bus leaving Everton helpless and hopeless.

It's going to be a very interesting season and my money, although very early in the day, is on the following:

- West Brom

- Wigan

- Swansea

Thoughts/early predictions?

QPR, West Brom and Wigan (finally!) for me like. Might even stick a few quid on it.

Also tempted to see what price I can get for Watford and Notts Forest to go down after they've changed hands.

West Ham, terrible squad. Their strikeforce is abysmal and I can see Vaz te being shite in the PL

QPR, appalling squad. Just packed out with aged, past-it players and people who aren't up to the PL

Swansea, people are kidding themselves if they thought Swansea were a good team last year. I know a lot of people on here didn't rate them and rightly so. They kept the ball a lot but over 30% of their possession was probably in their own half. I'd say they're currently a Joe Allen/Nathan Dyer transfer from being definite relegation fodder

Allardyce is programmed to keep teams in the division and he'll grind enough points out to keep West Ham above danger. Swansea I think will regress slightly but not enough for them to go down.

Guest Phil K

I have a feeling that this is the year Stoke finally go down.

West Brom maybe, and Fulham possibly too if they lose Dempsey.

But I'd say Southampton or Reading to go down.

My guess:-

Reading, Fulham, Stoke

Allardyce is programmed to keep teams in the division and he'll grind enough points out to keep West Ham above danger. Swansea I think will regress slightly but not enough for them to go down.

He is a disgusting, fat grinder who picks up undeserved points but I was one of the few/many (I can't remember what the consensus was at the time) that thought he would have taken us down had Keegan not taken over

On paper I think both Swansea and Norwich made sound managerial appointments. It's just their squads that have me thinking they'll struggle.

WBA on the other hand have potentially made a right howler appointing Steve Clarke.

This just made me realise how much dross is actually in the league. Wow, you could make cases for just about everybody from Everton downover.

Edit: Just realised I completely forgot Everton finished above Liverpool. Everybody underneath Liverpool you could make cases for.

I have a feeling that this is the year Stoke finally go down.

West Brom maybe, and Fulham possibly too if they lose Dempsey.

But I'd say Southampton or Reading to go down.

My guess:-

Reading, Fulham, Stoke

Surprised by the volume of Fulham shouts. Phil - you'd get cracking odds on the above.

Haven't Fulham already signed a few players?

hopefully this is the year Stoke finally drop.

Wouldn't that be fantastic. You'd imagine their policy of 'sign'em old, pay em high and lob balls upto Peter Crouch' has a very short lifespan but I'd be surprised to see them go this year.

Fulham have lost Pogrebnyak, Murphy and probably Dempsey.

Have signed Rodallega, Riether and are rumoured to be in a for a few more. I would also imagine Fayed would throw money at any potential relegation problems come Jan if required.

Have signed Rodallega, Riether and are rumoured to be in a for a few more. I would also imagine Fayed would throw money at any potential relegation problems come Jan if required.

Petric is a decent signing too.

Petric is a decent signing too.

Missed that one. Yeah - I'd imagine there would be 3 worse teams than them next year.