ADO Den Haag 0-0 Newcastle United (FT) 8/4/12

joeyt

We simply dont create enough in a 4-4-2.

And as for Demba, his first touch :(

Indeed. Keeping possession very nicely but it's going nowhere.

Surely a personnel issue though? put Hatem and Cabaye in this system instead of Vuckic and Obertan and i don't see it being a problem.

Was the same story last season even with those 2 in the team.

It's not a flat 4-4-2 though, this is a diamond 4-4-2 ala Milan not quite the same.

Diamond my arse, it looks and is being played nothing like that.

Not sure tbh, but it definitely isnt a flat 4-4-2 either Jonas has spent 90% of the match in the middle so has Vuckic, while Obertan seems to be moving between the centre and the right.

I think with Cabaye and Hatem instead of Vuckic and Obertan it would work a lot better, at least we are keeping possession reasonably well. :yao:

Guest bimpy474

Surely a personnel issue though? put Hatem and Cabaye in this system instead of Vuckic and Obertan and i don't see it being a problem.

It would improve the team, but a different formation would improve the team more imo.

Agreed 4-3-3 is the way to go, but Pardew seems against it for some reason.  :undecided:

It can't just be because of Ba can it?

I actually think it is :(

Im by no means writing the lad off, but I can't think of an occasion when ive been overly impressed by Vuckic if im honest. He seems very immobile and dallys on the ball. Hope i'm wrong but I can't see him making an impact on the first team.

It would improve the team, but a different formation would improve the team more imo.

Agreed 4-3-3 is the way to go, but Pardew seems against it for some reason.  :undecided:

Ba, and the fact that we're playing a different set of wingers (Jonas and Obertan instead of Ba and Ben Arfa, who are more of forwards than wingers really)

Guest bimpy474

It's not a flat 4-4-2 though, this is a diamond 4-4-2 ala Milan not quite the same.

Not sure tbh, but it definitely isnt a flat 4-4-2 either Jonas has spent 90% of the match in the middle so has Vuckic, while Obertan seems to be moving between the centre and the right.

I think with Cabaye and Hatem instead of Vuckic and Obertan it would work a lot better, at least we are keeping possession reasonably well. :yao:

We have wide men who come inside all the time, now if the full backs dont overlap then its just one big mess with no width and the attacks brakedown.

4-3-3 and if Demba gets the hump, sod him (only in the system sense) the team is more important than his ego.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Indeed Obertan have some core competence atributes like his pace and at times good technique but his lack of work rate, commitment and intelligence is appaling. By far the Newcastle player who frustrates me the most!!....

I actually think it is :(

Surely Pardew's got more about him than to be dictated to by a player?

We have wide men who come inside all the time, now if the full backs dont overlap then its just one big mess with no width and the attacks brakedown.

4-3-3 and if Demba gets the hump, sod him (only in the system sense) the team is more important than his ego.

Agreed.

I'm sure Pardew will go back to 4-3-3 once Ben Arfa is fully fit - at least against the sides we expect to win against.

The 4-4-2 is the solid formation in that we're looking to not lose first, then to win.

Guest bimpy474

Also 3 up top as i've said before doesn't have to mean wide men and a centre forward meaning Ba or Cisse is left out.

Play 3 up and let them roam into each others positions, movement and stop playing so bloody rigidly. Honestly we as English team have to stop this solid shit, especially in the front positions.

I don't usually slag off our players but I can't believe the praise i'm hearing for Obertan on here from some quarters. They guys got pace and good feet and there it stops. He makes the wrong decision 9 times out of 10.  He just played a short backpass to Raylor cos he'd run out of ideas but the ball put Raylor under immediate pressure and he lost the ball, Obertan just stood and watch as all this happened. Then when he's free of the last defender he fires a ball across the goalmouth without any regard as to wether there was anyone there or not, Cisse was about 10 yars behind the ball. He's never going to make it at this level imo.

As to 4-4-2, it's still not working well. Even with Cabaye and Ben Arfa instead of Vuckic and Obertan I'd have worries about it. And most of all, outside our first choice 13/14 we have little left to offer.

Eh, where was this? :lol:

Key word was SOME Dave.

Looks like the Obertan renaissance is happening :frantic:

Think Obertan has had quite a good pre season to be fair. Certianly goes into the season better prepared than HBA.

Obertan's been our most dangerous player!

Well done Obertan