Alan Pardew

Dave

Doubt he believes anything he's saying. I'm not particularly happy with the comments, but if i had to choose between that and the manager flying off the handle and falling out with the owners - i'd go with Pardew's attitude all day. I've said this from the beginning; regardless of how he's doing, he'll always talk up the side of the board because they've given him the job of his life. I dare say a pre-requisite of the contract was that he never slagged the board off to the media. I've come to terms with that because it's provided stability we haven't seen for years.

Doesn't make the comments themselves any less bullshit, like.

Exactly, Ashley gave him a big break, he was a manager whose reputation had floundered a bit, he's redeemed himself here and he isn't going to start a big fight with the boss. Granted annoying he keeps spouting it but ultimately don't want too many distractions from the job on the pitch. If he has to suck up to Ashley in public every once in a while bleh. He can't be happy with not getting a fullback or a striker but now's the time to push on. It's annoying but we'd all just be as annoyed if he was blaming it all on ashley after the stodgy start.

The other thing to bear in mind (and was argued on here by many whilst defending us spending absolutely nothing on the first team) is that by maintaining the squad we had last year, theoretically we should be getting better. Pardew says 'We should be thankful for what we’ve got. We have a competitive squad.'. We'll see if that's the case; no doubt if we actually go backwards then the argument will be that we could never realistically repeat last year. In which case, buying some players might have been an idea...

They can't have it both ways.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Exactly, Ashley gave him a big break, he was a manager whose reputation had floundered a bit, he's redeemed himself here and he isn't going to start a big fight with the boss. Granted annoying he keeps spouting it but ultimately don't want too many distractions from the job on the pitch. If he has to suck up to Ashley in public every once in a while bleh. He can't be happy with not getting a fullback or a striker but now's the time to push on. It's annoying but we'd all just be as annoyed if he was blaming it all on ashley after the stodgy start.

Alan Pardew, after last season is a prize asset to any mid-table type premier league club. I could easily see a Fulham/Stoke type club giving him a decent wage increase if things go tits up for them.

Pardews negotiating position should be stronger as a result and shouldn't need the constant 'we kept our blue chip players, so everything's good' line. Problem with this theory is that I don't think MA would think twice about getting rid and replacing with a new stooge

Personally, and I know this will be controversial, I would have rather us sold a Cabaye for 20m and used the money for a replacement, plus a RB and CF, but that's just me....

Bizarre for Pards to come out with those words. I can't imagine it's off his own back, not at all. The main thing for me is we're still fucking short almost all over the pitch, shorter than last season even though we knew we'd have MORE games. It's made me look forward to and treasure our European exploits much less knowing how much it could cost us.

The other thing to bear in mind (and was argued on here by many whilst defending us spending absolutely nothing on the first team) is that by maintaining the squad we had last year, theoretically we should be getting better. Pardew says 'We should be thankful for what we’ve got. We have a competitive squad.'. We'll see if that's the case; no doubt if we actually go backwards then the argument will be that we could never realistically repeat last year. In which case, buying some players might have been an idea...

They can't have it both ways.

i think it depends whether the players want to repeat the work of last season.

I agree with sicko2ndbest for once, I'd have been 'happy' with us selling Tiote or Cabaye for £20m, as long as it was early in the window and didn't leave us knackered.  Seems like that's the only way we'll spend any money, and we'd have possibly brought in another 3-4 players and not have left ourselves so short.  We're criminally short of quality depth at GK, centre half and up front and we'll be lucky to get away with the next few weeks without becoming a bit demoralised.  I was at Norwich last season and it wasn't pretty.

i do think we should be grateful none of our best players have left in the window, were only a few games into the season and the doom mongering has surfaced. we have bought in some future talent as well and i think in the long run some of ashleys policies will benefit us.

Guest sicko2ndbest

i do think we should be grateful none of our best players have left in the window, were only a few games into the season and the doom mongering has surfaced. we have bought in some future talent as well and i think in the long run some of ashleys policies will benefit us.

I don't think it's necessarily doom-mongering, I just think fans feel frustrated we have let an opportunity pass us by. I think we have enough for a top 10 finish and a decent cup run, but to repeat last years achievements we needed a couple more first teamers.

worst thing about the lack of transfer activity this year is yet again we go into a season with a squad that is not big enough or strong enough to  co

mpete in all the competitions that we have entered for the 4th season running.

to be fair when we were relegated i wasn't bothered about cups as all that mattered that year was getting promoted.  the next season was all about

staying up.  then last season i thought we could give the cups a go but then with the nightmare pre season and sales of big players and not

knowing who the likes of cabaye were again i just thought lets concentrate on the league.

all those expectations changed this summer, we have a good team and everyone knew 3 or 4 new players coming in would put us in a great position off

to kick on.  we even had the manager and chief scout saying the same on radio interviews and for the first time in 4 years i was looking forward

to having a crack at  winning something.  yet we are only in September and the manager has written off the league cup and gambling  with the kids to progress

in Europe.  the fans have every right to feel let down and cheated.

worst thing about the lack of transfer activity this year is yet again we go into a season with a squad that is not big enough or strong enough to  co

to be fair when we were relegated i wasn't bothered about cups as all that mattered that year was getting promoted.  the next season was all about

staying up.  then last season i thought we could give the cups a go but then with the nightmare pre season and sales of big players and not

knowing who the likes of cabaye were again i just thought lets concentrate on the league.

all those expectations changed this summer, we have a good team and everyone knew 3 or 4 new players coming in would put us in a great position off

to kick on.  we even had the manager and chief scout saying the same on radio interviews and for the first time in 4 years i was looking forward

to having a crack at  winning something.  yet we are only in September and the manager has written off the league cup and gambling  with the kids to progress

http://i.imgur.com/xRVT6.png

http://i.imgur.com/xRVT6.png

http://s8.postimage.org/w5wiggj39/grammar_police.jpg

Looking back I would have honestly sold Tiote for £15million plus in the summer if it had meant spending on three new additions.

Unfortunately it's likely the only way we'll see incomings, if they are self funded.