Alan Pardew

Dave

The aim should be to push for a European spot and see where we end up. I can't see how anyone would disagree on that.

We managed that last season, massively exceeding expectations and he was still given shit a handful of games into this season.

Last season was fantastic. Doesn't help us this year though does it? If performances are shit he'll be called on it, particularly when we decided not to improve the squad (how's that 'the players have another year's experience so will play at least as well as last year' thing working out btw? :razz:) and he's still telling the media that we can finish fourth...

FWIW I still have a lot of faith in Pardew and yes that's because of last year. Some of the comments on here are laughable. But he's creating a rod for his own back with this tripe.

Well given you are bringing up a quote from months ago and I think it's fair to say Ben Afra, Santon, Ba, Sammy, Ferguson (probably missing a couple for example a few have mentioned Abeid maybe getting more games as well as Campbell) are further forward than they were at the start of last season I am probably not far off the mark.

I will have to stipulate Ben Arfa although an exciting prospect hadn't had enough exposure to do what he does best and Ba wasn't looked at as the player he is now.

We managed that last season, massively exceeding expectations and he was still given s*** a handful of games into this season.

Better managers than Pardew have been given shit when teams aren't performing.  Football is a results based game and he's going to be judged on the results and performances of the team and we could be doing better.  We did exceed expectations last season and that has rightly raised our expectations for this season, although not as much as they seem to have raised his.  I thought we might fight it out with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th but still fall short.  That was before our poor transfer window which finished with us failing once again to upgrade weaknesses in our squad.  After seeing our first few games I think we’ll do well to finish in 6th or 7th.  He's either full of shit for saying, or deluded if he thinks, we're going to challenge the top 4 the way we're playing at the minute and have played for most of this season.

We managed that last season, massively exceeding expectations and he was still given s*** a handful of games into this season.

Better managers than Pardew have been given shit when teams aren't performing.  Football is a results based game and he's going to be judged on the results and performances of the team and we could be doing better.  We did exceed expectations last season and that has rightly raised our expectations for this season, although not as much as they seem to have raised his.  I thought we might fight it out with Spurs and Arsenal for 4th but still fall short.  That was before our poor transfer window which finished with us failing once again to upgrade weaknesses in our squad.  After seeing our first few games I think we’ll do well to finish in 6th or 7th.  He's either full of shit for saying, or deluded if he thinks, we're going to challenge the top 4 the way we're playing at the minute and have played for most of this season.

I completely believe he is a bit of both, that doesn't make him different from most managers who state they will do a lot better than they end up doing. So far we only have Pardew finishing 5th (fighting for 3rd up until the last game of the season) and not far off 4th and 3 points off an impressive Everton now.

Unimpressive performance don't make unimpressive results. We could have done better, we could have played a hell of a lot better but to be on is back  :undecided: we have been through far, far too many managers for me to be so vocal in my distaste.

Well given you are bringing up a quote from months ago and I think it's fair to say Ben Afra, Santon, Ba, Sammy, Ferguson (probably missing a couple for example a few have mentioned Abeid maybe getting more games as well as Campbell) are further forward than they were at the start of last season I am probably not far off the mark.

I will have to stipulate Ben Arfa although an exciting prospect hadn't had enough exposure to do what he does best and Ba wasn't looked at as the player he is now.

Does the bit in bold only apply to our players? 

No need for this to get heated tbh :lol: We're not RTGers. Cajun is alright, Spudil is inexplicably angry and Dave is Internet.

Parting shot to Cajun: I believe in performances I see players put in, over what players say, aye. Fully accept if you see it differently :thup:

Would (genuinely interested) like to see Moyes comments during his time at Everton, they have been equally restricted, maybe even more so, he probablt hasn't been quite as complimentary but equally he wasn't pulled out of the wilderness for a big managerial job or given a huge contract.

Pardew does come out with some mental comments but 'towing the company line' is hardly a new thing for someone in his position in whatever business you are in, either is claiming things will be better than they are (tempered at times by downplaying things).

Just seems like anything he comes out with now is jumped upon. For the majority of last season he was claimed to be lucky or berated for not playing Ben Arfa, who has since praised Pardew's handling of him (what an arse licker). This season he is again lucky, an arse licker and won't play 4 f***ing 3 f***ing 3!!!

I don't agree with everything he does but last season's top 5 finish, highest points total for however many years and winning manager of the season won him about 4 games breathing room with quite a few fans, I have noticed stating that has become a bit of a joke for some reason.

What is this s***? Can you not construct a point or make a legitimate argument? All you have done (and constantly do) here is reduce ample legitimate reasoning to a few sarcasm ridden words.

BenArfa praised Pardew? So? What is your point? people say he has been lucky? so, what is your point? people say he has been lucky this year? so, what is your point? are you trying to say we were not lucky against WBA for example?

Try and put some thought and perhaps even some content into your posts because you really should win an award for posting the most words without actually saying anything.

Feel like I am copying you but what a s*** post.

Pardew got relentless s*** for his treatment of Ben Arfa, then Ben Arfa praises him for it and his workrate improves which is really beneficial = Pardew f***ing up?

He has been lucky for one season and 9 games = this actually equals luck?

Jesus. I point out the fallacy of your 'reasoning' and you proceed to commit the same fallacy  (twice) in the responding post.

You are like a parody of yourself.

Jimmies status: Russled i guess :undecided: I'll leave it at that.

:lol: You absolutely slated Pardews way of handling Ben Arfa last season, along with generally slating him wherever possible. Ben Arfa specifically comes out praising the manager for much of the things you slated him for and your reaction is "BenArfa praised Pardew? So? What is your point?" :lol: Ive no idea how you take yourself seriously, let alone talk from that perch you've put yourself on.

No need for this to get heated tbh :lol: We're not RTGers. Cajun is alright, Spudil is inexplicably angry and Dave is Internet.

Parting shot to Cajun: I believe in performances I see players put in, over what players say, aye. Fully accept if you see it differently :thup:

Fuck you and your differences.

:thup: [/smallthumbupsoyoucan'treallyseeithopethisworks]

I completely believe he is a bit of both, that doesn't make him different from most managers who state they will do a lot better than they end up doing. So far we only have Pardew finishing 5th (fighting for 3rd up until the last game of the season) and not far off 4th and 3 points off an impressive Everton now.

Unimpressive performance don't make unimpressive results. We could have done better, we could have played a hell of a lot better but to be on is back  :undecided: we have been through far, far too many managers for me to be so vocal in my distaste.

Finishing 5th last season has gone, he can only live off that for so long and I don't watch us playing shit football and think about last season.  After a shit game I think about what I've just watched and what we've done poorly.  If we play well I don't think about a game in which we've been shit, I think about what we've done well and this season it's been more of the former.

As for his thought pattern in to why he sometimes spouts shit, I'm not that bothered but will comment about it.  I'm more bothered about why he comes out with it.  We've got a game on Sunday and his feelings about Ashley will have no bearing on either the way we play or the result we get. 

Going back to last season, it was great to finish 5th but that has gone.  Keeping him here based on that season alone is pointless and he should only remain here for as long as he can meet the goals which others set for him and if he fails to meet my goals for him then I'll say so.  I don’t keep my job because I performed well last year, I keep it because of what I do now and it’s got to be the same for anybody in any job.

I think Arsenal have 4th sorted, they'll always pick up more points over the course of the season that the rest as it stands, and they'll also go on a run of great form as always. I don't think Spurs are 4th material this year at all, they look clueless at times and even the fans were calling for AVB's head very early on in the season. We haven't be great at times this season ourselves and should definitely have more points on the table. The closest team to Arsenal are Everton imo who look really strong. I think it'll end up like:

Top 3: Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea.

4th/5th: Arsenal, Everton.

6th/7th: Us, Spurs.

8th/9th: Liverpool, West Brom.

If we don't get going fast we'll find ourselves dropping to the fight for 8th though.

Finishing 5th last season has gone, he can only live off that for so long and I don't watch us playing shit football and think about last season.  After a shit game I think about what I've just watched and what we've done poorly.  If we play well I don't think about a game in which we've been shit, I think about what we've done well and this season it's been more of the former.

As for his thought pattern in to why he sometimes spouts shit, I'm not that bothered but will comment about it.  I'm more bothered about why he comes out with it.  We've got a game on Sunday and his feelings about Ashley will have no bearing on either the way we play or the result we get. 

Going back to last season, it was great to finish 5th but that has gone.  Keeping him here based on that season alone is pointless and he should only remain here for as long as he can meet the goals which others set for him and if he fails to meet my goals for him then I'll say so.  I don’t keep my job because I performed well last year, I keep it because of what I do now and it’s got to be the same for anybody in any job.

He isn't doing a bad job now though, we are 3(?) points behind and Everton side who must be having their best season for a good number of years.

If you did far better at your job last quarter and were doing your job pretty much as expected this I doubt your manager would be pulling you aside for a chat.

Finishing 5th last season has gone, he can only live off that for so long and I don't watch us playing s*** football and think about last season.  After a s*** game I think about what I've just watched and what we've done poorly.  If we play well I don't think about a game in which we've been s***, I think about what we've done well and this season it's been more of the former.

As for his thought pattern in to why he sometimes spouts s***, I'm not that bothered but will comment about it.  I'm more bothered about why he comes out with it.  We've got a game on Sunday and his feelings about Ashley will have no bearing on either the way we play or the result we get. 

So summing that up Mick, essentially an entire seasons worth of solid results has earnt 0 extra faith in Pardews ability as a manager for you compared to any other manager. As you ignore history when judging someones potential to achieve. Assume you'd given up on Shearers England career pre Euro 96 then.

He isn't doing a bad job now though, we are 3(?) points behind and Everton side who must be having their best season for a good number of years.

If you did far better at your job last quarter and were doing your job pretty much as expected this I doubt your manager would be pulling you aside for a chat.

I don't think anybody has said that he's doing a bad job as it's too early to go that far, that doesn't mean he can't be seen as having to do better.  If we maintain our current points haul over the season, we'll finish 7th based on last season.

This season is so similar to last in many ways. We're playing poorly and I've been quite perplexed by some of Pardew's decisions but lets face it, we're picking up points without hitting our stride. I'm fully expecting a run of form soon, Krul, Colo and Saylor make a massive difference and we've looked better in the last two games.

He hasn't done bad this season at all, but the Reading and Villa (in particular) results should have been better, we can't afford to drop points like that too often. Some of the results in Europe were really unconvincing as well. Abandoning the tactics that took the team to 5th last year is just mind boggling as well (yet another 433 reference). I've no doubt that we'll get in to gear soon though and we'll go on a bit of a run.

I don't know why nobody will spell it out, Pardew is not a very good manager, he wasn't before he joined us and he isn't now. We finished 5th last season despite not playing very well for most of the time, mainly because Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton had such poor seasons. Would Moyes do better with our squad, absolutely he would, would Rodgers, well at least he has a plan. Watch the way Swansea played last week against City and then Liverpool in midweek, and then watch the ugly dross we come up with. It's horrible and Pardew seems unable to grasp that.

Our good technical players, Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa are completely wasted the way Pardew sets up the team. The premier league is pretty much dross this season and last, the fact we are in the top half illustrates that perfectly.

This season is so similar to last in many ways. We're playing poorly and I've been quite perplexed by some of Pardew's decisions but lets face it, we're picking up points without hitting our stride. I'm fully expecting a run of form soon, Krul, Colo and Saylor make a massive difference and we've looked better in the last two games.

Krul, Colo, Saylor and Tiote must have played barely any games together (all players) which must take something out of our defence and out of our freedom to attack. Even when they have played it's been getting them back from layoffs. Given they are all key players this must have had a real effect.

I don't know why nobody will spell it out, Pardew is not a very good manager, he wasn't before he joined us and he isn't now. We finished 5th last season despite not playing very well for most of the time, mainly because Chelsea, Liverpool and Everton had such poor seasons. Would Moyes do better with our squad, absolutely he would, would Rodgers, well at least he has a plan. Watch the way Swansea played last week against City and then Liverpool in midweek, and then watch the ugly dross we come up with. It's horrible and Pardew seems unable to grasp that.

Our good technical players, Santon, Cabaye, Ben Arfa are completely wasted the way Pardew sets up the team. The premier league is pretty much dross this season and last, the fact we are in the top half illustrates that perfectly.

So the other teams allowed us to finish above them, despite their managers all being better than Pardew? Awkward.

Krul, Colo, Saylor and Tiote must have played barely any games together (all players) which must take something out of our defence and out of our freedom to attack. Even when they have played it's been getting them back from layoffs. Given they are all key players this must have had a real effect.

It's made a big difference imo, Pardew is very cautious and he'll restrict forward movement even more when we're missing defenders. It's one of the reasons I think we'll progress significantly with a new full back, having four good defenders will improve our attacking play.

It's made a big difference imo, Pardew is very cautious and he'll restrict forward movement even more when we're missing defenders. It's one of the reasons I think we'll progress significantly with a new full back, having four good defenders will improve our attacking play.

:thup:

So summing that up Mick, essentially an entire seasons worth of solid results has earnt 0 extra faith in Pardews ability as a manager for you compared to any other manager. As you ignore history when judging someones potential to achieve. Assume you'd given up on Shearers England career pre Euro 96 then.

History suggests that finishing 5th isn't going to happen again as his best finish before last season was 9th so I don't think looking at history does him any favours.  What Shearer did as a player has absolutely no bearing on what Pardew will do as a manager in the future and I was never bothered about Shearer playing for England.

Also, it was mentioned that we have changed managers far too many times in the past and that’s right.  The flip side of that is that we’ve appointed too many poor choices in the past and that’s why they’ve gone.  Stability doesn’t create a good manager, a good manager creates stability.

I’m not writing Pardew off as it would be mad to do so, I do have reservations about him and it’s up to him to change that and he’ll only doing it by performing at an acceptable level.

History suggests that finishing 5th isn't going to happen again as his best finish before last season was 9th so I don't think looking at history does him any favours.  What Shearer did as a player has absolutely no bearing on what Pardew will do as a manager in the future and I was never bothered about Shearer playing for England.

Also, it was mentioned that we have changed managers far too many times in the past and that’s right.  The flip side of that is that we’ve appointed too many poor choices in the past and that’s why they’ve gone.  Stability doesn’t create a good manager, a good manager creates stability.

I’m not writing Pardew off as it would be mad to do so, I do have reservations about him and it’s up to him to change that and he’ll only doing it by performing at an acceptable level.

History would have suggested he wouldn't have finished 5th last season though surely? I agree with the rest of your post though.