Alan Pardew

Dave

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/361065

“I’m not going to get carried away and think if we get a fortuitous win at Stoke all our problems will be solved. The bottom line is, as a football team, you have problems and you have to acknowledge them, otherwise you won’t solve them.

“We have looked at all the problems we have had, including set-plays and we are going to have to change.

“A big creative force in this team is in the treatment room. Hatem Ben Arfa and Cabaye are two big players for us in terms of imagination.

“You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

“The link between the attack and midfield has been a problem for us and playing Stoke is not ideal if you want to get that going again as it will be a stop-start match.”

HOOOOOOOOOFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

The solutions are so simple. It's not encouraging that he has to figure them out.

For example, the set plays. For starters there are countless recorded games where you can take inspiration from - not to mention the other 19 teams in the league who you could look at for ideas. Research it, adapt it and use it.

Even use the experience of our players who have played in various leagues. Some who have even won titles. I can't fathom why we have been so persistant with the Williamson play.

“I’m not going to get carried away and think if we get a fortuitous win at Stoke all our problems will be solved. The bottom line is, as a football team, you have problems and you have to acknowledge them, otherwise you won’t solve them.

“We have looked at all the problems we have had, including set-plays and we are going to have to change.

“A big creative force in this team is in the treatment room. Hatem Ben Arfa and Cabaye are two big players for us in terms of imagination.

“You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

“The link between the attack and midfield has been a problem for us and playing Stoke is not ideal if you want to get that going again as it will be a stop-start match.”

More promising IMO.

He's always talked a good game though, find it hard to imagine much changing.

Thing is,  how has it taken 13 games to realise it's not working. The set pieces never worked last year either.  We should hit the ball into the centre of box with power and try and get ba or cisse onto it

More promising IMO.

Boy that's Pardew at his best. Some great PR, that.

The West Brom game keeps getting mentioned, but a) it wasn't particularly typical of our performances last season and b) we didn't exactly look like Barca either. It was a game where things clicked for us, as will happen for every side now and then.

For the most part, our football wasn't that great, and sometimes the margin between success and failure can be very small. This season a few things have gone wrong - some of our newer players are now familiar to the opposition, Ba has been discontented, Cisse has lost form, we've had more injuries - and that's been enough to take us from the European places to near the relegation zone. In the Premiership, a lot of teams are of a fairly even standard, and a small decline can take you down quite a few places.

I don't think Pardew is suddenly an incompetent manager who has no idea of tactics. I do think, however, that the club was hoodwinked by our 5th place finish into thinking that some of our players were better than they really were. If, as seems likely, we got some generous offers based on their inflated reputations, we should have taken advantage of opportunities to trade up.

I think 5 wins in a row (F11, A1), having just switched formation, would have to be a hell of a coincidence not to be significant.

Most of our players have previously flourished in a 4-3-3 - Anita won the league at Ajax, Cabaye at Lille, Ben Arfa has four Ligue 1 medals and none playing what we play, Cisse second in goals only to Gomez at Freiburg. It's hardly a stretch to say that's the formation they prefer. If the difference is so insignificant, why has European football more or less given up on 4-4-2?

It was a relief to go to a match and actually watch some football last night. HSV have been struggling but not to the extent that they couldn't blow away a high flying Schalke with pressing football and a compact short passing midfield wth overlapping fullbacks. It all looked so easy...No idea why any group of 11 professionals in the PL can't replicate that kind of football. The much hyped Huntelaar hardly got a kick.

Guest bimpy474

I want him gone for the football we play and the utter bullshit he comes with with among many things but if he does turn it around then fair enough.

If he changes the formation or whatever but continues to play long ball then he really is a plonker. If he cant see the players we have are totally unsuited to long ball he never will. It may have worked during the first part of last season but we had Besty to win a fair amount of headers and hold the ball up, something Ba and Cisse cant do.

You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

More promising IMO.

tbh its not like we have used them (arfa & cabaye) in our tactics imo. Its not like we have given the ball to cabaye and really used him as the playmaker he is. The plan for for arfa has been. Give the ball to arfa on left (hopefully he is not just outside our own penalty-area) and hope he, by himself can do some magic.

It is bulls*it from pardew. They are our best players but they have not been used the right way imo. I have turned against pardew...and its only for the last two months or so....but he seems so clueless and his football philosophy is depressing.

if we tried to develop football styles like for example dortmund, swansea, ajax, arsenal etc. then i wouldn´t mind us losing (often) coz i knew we where trying to get somewhere.

Is this the style of play our youngsters is learning in our youth teams.....long ball and learn how to adjust to our opponents? Its wrong, and we should stop. The clubs buying policy is ok, but we need to play the same through out the ranks and find the right players for it.

This current approach will fail and has already imo.

You cannot suddenly say to a team to start delivering the type of imagination those two offer us, so we have to come up with a different game plan.

More promising IMO.

tbh its not like we have used them (arfa & cabaye) in our tactics imo. Its not like we have given the ball to cabaye and really used him as the playmaker he is. The plan for for arfa has been. Give the ball to arfa on left (hopefully he is not just outside our own penalty-area) and hope he, by himself can do some magic.

It is bulls*it from pardew. They are our best players but they have not been used the right way imo. I have turned against pardew...and its only for the last two months or so....but he seems so clueless and his football philosophy is depressing.

if we tried to develop football styles like for example dortmund, swansea, ajax, arsenal etc. then i wouldn´t mind us losing (often) coz i knew we where trying to get somewhere.

Is this the style of play our youngsters is learning in our youth teams.....long ball and learn how to adjust to our opponents? Its wrong, and we should stop. The clubs buying policy is ok, but we need to play the same through out the ranks and find the right players for it.

The thing is, you watch our kids play and they play football and their style couldn't be any different to the first team.

More promising IMO.

The thing is, you watch our kids play and they play football and their style couldn't be any different to the first team.

promising, i guess :undecided:

More promising IMO.

promising, i guess :undecided:

Don't worry, we'll soon coach it out of them.

Guest bimpy474

I want him gone for the football we play and the utter bullshit he comes with among many things but if he does turn it around then fair enough.

Eh? :lol:

I meant "comes out with"

Typing too fast, sneaky at work style :lol:

Nope it won't magically change the problems are too deep now to simply change the system and expect things to magically get better.

We don't have the players available for it to work anyway.

I was just saying we didn't long ball much during that period and the style of play and system was spot on with the players we had so it's not necessarily true that what ever system we play we will always long ball.

Our problems are not really system based anymore, well it is but it's not the main issue.... the players look like they have never seen each other before in their lifes we have forgotten any basic fundamentals.

I was just disagreeing that through out Pardew's tenure we have always played long ball no matter the system because it's really not true.

i agree its not entirely true, ofcourse not, but you can see it throughout the DNA of his line-ups,  his fall back plan is always the long ball,  its just a matter of time how long his team is on top or falling behind.

You mentioned Best didn't you,  there's your clue,  and Ba being out wide, and Shola and Cisse also been out there.  There is a reason for that,  when we are under the cosh that lanky striker that is playing outwide and then there is also on upfront, there are used as outlets for the long ball to relieve pressure, the only thing is, Pardew forgets that they arent actually any good at holding up the ball.

when the s*** really hits the fan,  that tall striker playing outwide, whether is Best , Ba or whoever magically drifts inside and further up, thus forming straight back to 4-4-2,  that way Pardew saves up on one of his substitution he dont have to waste.  He's economical at least if unimaginative.

we know what Pardew is about now.  He's been found out.

That's an old one that Pards flirted with the big man pretending to be standing wide. As soon as Krul get the ball he magically comes inside making another target. Pathetic and desperate.

Stoke are a big side with loads of drilled set plays and positonal rigidity. They are energetic and orc like in tackling and intimidation. At home they pride themselves on out fighting superior footballers. This going to be carnage if we don't find a way to keep the ball. The way tomorrow will be to play 'small football' - interchanging short passing game - circumnavigating and avoiding their roman leigion like columns of power. Play under their radar and be compact and find simple routines out of positional conundrums. Yeah we're fucked! :lol:

I want him gone for the football we play and the utter bullshit he comes with among many things but if he does turn it around then fair enough.

Eh? :lol:

I meant "comes out with"

Typing too fast, sneaky at work style :lol:

I didn't even notice that. I'm wondering how you can say that you already want him out but in the same breath say fair enough if he turns it around?

Bimpy is alarmed, sacared and confused...Right now he doesn't really know what he thinks..It's night and he's heard noises in the kitchen..But he's pretending to be asleep hoping the first axe blow will hit Mrs Bimpy.