Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW Pardew taking off Ben Arfa for Shola is the moment he lost me altogether.

That ranks as the most telling and downright  worst substition I've seen. I don't want to watch what he clearly wants to see.

Back when Souness was in charge it was alleged that he didn't really believe in tactics other than selecting 11 "professionals" who would already know what to do.  Whilst Pardew doesn't appear to be as unaware as Souness there do seem to be some similarities in how the team is set up to attack.

What's the actual attacking philosophy?  Carefully placed diagonal balls through the middle for Ba or Cisse to run on to? No. 

Classic wing play with wide players getting to the by-line before placing a carefully measured cross into the path of an oncoming forward? No.

Our entire attacking strategy seems to consist of hitting the ball upfield in the hope that Ba or Cisse can make something out of nothing, or hope for a mistake from the opposition that will gift a chance to our front men.  Failing that, give it to Ben Arfa and hope that he can conjure up something out of nothing.  If that fails, bring on a couple of players who weren't considered good enough to start but otherwise just keep doing exactly the same shit that hasn't been working previously.

What was the last goal we scored that wasn't due to individual brilliance or an opposition mistake?  When was the last time a wide player realised that aerial balls into the box were being cleared with ease and switched to fire in a low ball across the face of goal?

From the number of balls we win in the air, attacking and defending, it'd be hard to argue that we're anything other than crap in the air and yet 90% of our attacking play seems to consist of aerial balls aimed at the head of someone who is usually marked by someone taller and better in the air.  When we do keep the ball on the ground there's a chronic lack of movement in the team.  Forwards don't drop back to draw defenders out of position, midfielders don't move up to fill gaps when they do appear, passes are too often made behind players moving into space.  Instead of passing into the space the player is going to be in, passes go to where the player was causing the attack to slow to a crawl and allowing defenders to get back into position.  We give the ball to Jonas or Ben Arfa and half the time the rest of the team seem to stop, channelling the little kid from The Incredibles just watching and waiting for the hero to do something amazing.  Unsurprisingly, the ball is usually lost leaving most of the team completely out of position allowing the opposition to counter-attack with ease.

Whilst the players certainly aren't blameless in all of this, 9 out of the 11 who started tonight have full international caps.  They haven't suddenly turned to shit, they just don't seem to have any idea how to play together as a team.  There are too many teams in the Premiership who are doing a hell of a lot better than us this season by simply doing the basic stuff like passing and moving.  That needs a lot of work on the training ground but I'm really not confident that our coaching team is even capable, especially since that's where our current "tactics" seem to have come from.

Gutted.

If we had an owner who actually cared about football he'd be gone now. Unfortunately we don't, Ashley looks for lackeys who work for him.

Also, if we had a manager with an ounce of integrity, he might walk soon. Again, that's not Pardew, he also doesn't give a shit about the club or the fans. He was unemployable (for a normal chairman/owner).

So chances are, we're stuck watching this shit until it's too late.

Championship here we come.

Guest palnese

Everything about him makes me angry.

The smug, cockney cuntish voice.

The smug, cockney cuntish look.

Can't even watch interviews with him anymore.

Guest malandro

That ranks as the most telling and downright  worst substition I've seen. I don't want to watch what he clearly wants to see.

HBA substitution must have been decided before the game by the medical staff? AP isn't very good but hes not a total retard.

QPR game is decisive. Anything less than a win and he needs to go.

Remember Southampton?

I've blocked it out. Knew we'd lose that one but if we can't beat that shower at home then he's finished.

Aye i think that HBA/Shola sub has just about extinguished any faith i had left. Absolutely deplorable set of substitutions tonight.

It was beyond stupid, you could see the way his mind was working.

Just a good looking sam allerdyce.

HBA substitution must have been decided before the game by the medical staff? AP isn't very good but hes not a total retard.

Wasnt taking him off it was replacing him with Shola tbh.

Guest firetotheworks

If he isn't for that, then he is for selecting Shola as the replacement. It's inexcusable.

Guest VanBarduck

How many times Pardew yailed at Ben Arfa to play more centrally  ;D  ?  It seems he was always trough the middle during the second half  , am I the only one who noticed that ? For instance he never maded that much pass since he's in newcastle ( 42 ) in  "only" 70 minutes , something for the future...