Alan Pardew

Dave

I'm still not sure sacking him is the answer. I want to wait until the Jan transfer window. He's messed up big time this season but deserves a chance at keeping us up -- yes, I know how terrible that sounds. I wouldn't be saying if I didn't think he has it in him to keep us in the division, even if it's by the skin of our teeth. Should this occur, of course, then we can discuss getting someone new in the summer. I'm usually not this positive about managers, but just looking at how we're played the last 3 games, this hunger was NOT there in our relegation season. The players do care.

I'm still not sure sacking him is the answer. I want to wait until the Jan transfer window. He's messed up big time this season but deserves a chance at keeping us up -- yes, I know how terrible that sounds. I wouldn't be saying if I didn't think he has it in him to keep us in the division, even if it's by the skin of our teeth. Should this occur, of course, then we can discuss getting someone new in the summer. I'm usually not this positive about managers, but just looking at how we're played the last 3 games, this hunger was NOT there in our relegation season. The players do care.

Broadly agree. In anger (I'm guilty of it) we want rid, but looking at the bigger pic I think most of us hope he turns it around. He has to.

I think it’s quite an interesting point about what the general public think and what the “internet” public think (although the distinction between the two is becoming less and less).

I don’t think it’s that different a distinction from any other form of entertainment in that there are some people who just enjoy something for what it is and others who enjoy studying it, discussing it, dissecting it and those types of people are more likely to feel more strongly, whatever their opinion may be, than the people in the first category. Newcastle fans vs Newcastle fanboys, if you like.

They are also coming from a more informed viewpoint though too, the same as anyone will who pays more attention than the average. Not only are they more likely to watch other football but they’re also the ones paying attention to quotes from the players, coaches, managers, the ones looking at post match statistics. It’s not right to say “the internet nerds want Pardew out, thank God for us norms” any more than it’s right to say “some idiot with a degree in film told me to watch Pan’s Labyrinth, what a geek, I’m off to see Transformers instead”

I’ve got a mate who’s a clever bloke with a season ticket but couldn’t tell you what team we put out last night, couldn’t tell you who Abeid is, or Campbell, or Good. There’s tons of blokes like that at the matches and even more women and kids, so to say they’re the ones whose opinion we should trust more is clearly a flawed point of view.

People seem to forget that plenty “internet types” backed Pardew and continue consistently to back Ashley – I know because I’ve spent so much time arguing against them. I think if a serious majority of the more informed people online are turning against the manager, the more passive minority won’t be far behind because in my experience, that’s always the way it goes. It was the same with Souness back in the mists of time and barring a Christmas miracle, Pardew won’t have much time left with the man in the street.

:thup:

There's discontent in the stands already. Once they attribute the poor play/results to the manager, the 'general view' will be that Pardew needs to go IMO.

That is a good post from Wullie, like. JH, you're right that there is discontent in the stands, but I think that it's not being directed at Pardew because he has bought himself time. I wonder if, because of how analytical fans have become, the mentality of fans overall is changing. I'm just not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

Tbf Pardew has bought time for himself and I will acknowledge it. It's just my opinion (and mine only) that he is another Souness. All he's going to do is waste this season before the penny drops for the rest. Like I said earlier though, I hope he makes me eat my words. We really could do without another upheaval.

Guest neesy111

It was clear to me that when a group of fans started singing the E I E I song at the Wigan match, the amount joining in had been far less than it'd it used to be.

In my experience the 'man in the street' will accept just about anything as long as it's packaged right. And that funnily enough is Pardews role: Packaging and managing expectations. That's why he seems to talk all the time about everything and things that at first glance seem unconnected. He is pushing the message 'we can't compete', we have injuries'...Mashley has done well keeping the squad together'. He ain't doing it for the sake of it, it's a big part of his role.

This is the way I see it. Pardew's excuses are accepted by the people who don't question them. I'm sure if these excuses were debunked in a more public way than an internet forum he'd be in far more trouble.

Guest icemanblue

While I've been getting grief for seemingly having a sewperfan agenda, these claims of intellectual superiority of armchair/internet fans seem to be steadily increasing. :lol:

Guest neesy111

I wonder if he is suffering in a weird way from having quite a likeable bunch of players. If he had Owen and Duff in his team he might be getting less of the abuse himself.

Is he suffering because of his 'friendship' with Llambias and Ashley?

I wonder if he is suffering in a weird way from having quite a likeable bunch of players. If he had Owen and Duff in his team he might be getting less of the abuse himself.

Is he suffering because of his 'friendship' with Llambias and Ashley?

Probably, yes. Although strangely it's probably the only thing that allows him to function as our manager.

Guest icemanblue

While I've been getting grief for seemingly having a sewperfan agenda, these claims of intellectual superiority of armchair/internet fans seem to be steadily increasing. :lol:

We are basically amazing, that's my conclusion.

Fuck off. I'm better than you, like. I go to matches, spend my work days on here AND I read the fucking papers.

Got nothing on those that listen to podcasts, though.

f*** off. I'm better than you, like. I go to matches, spend my work days on here AND I read the f***ing papers.

You're desperate to be on the highest horse :lol: Tedious.

I think the fact that Pardew's problem seems to be with his coaching and mentality rather than selection is actually a bonus for him in terms of public opinion.

You ask any supporter what their reason was for disliking Manager X was, the answer will almost always be a match day selection or a transfer issue. It's very easy for fans at the game to get angry about dropping Robert or signing Obertan, it's less easy for a lot of people to get pissed off about formation or set pieces or exactly what the players do in training. I often hear the question "well what could he have done differently last night?" as if the manager has no effect on the team outside of picking them or substituting them.

One thing's true as well, that Parky mentioned, Pardew is a master of lowering expectations. Some people like that about him, I absolutely hate it because it's reflected in the way his team plays IMO.

Guest icemanblue

f*** off. I'm better than you, like. I go to matches, spend my work days on here AND I read the f***ing papers.

I am on the highest horse.

Guest malandro

I think the fact that Pardew's problem seems to be with his coaching and mentality rather than selection is actually a bonus for him in terms of public opinion.

You ask any supporter what their reason was for disliking Manager X was, the answer will almost always be a match day selection or a transfer issue. It's very easy for fans at the game to get angry about dropping Robert or signing Obertan, it's less easy for a lot of people to get p*ssed off about formation or set pieces or exactly what the players do in training. I often hear the question "well what could he have done differently last night?" as if the manager has no effect on the team outside of picking them or substituting them.

One thing's true as well, that Parky mentioned, Pardew is a master of lowering expectations. Some people like that about him, I absolutely hate it because it's reflected in the way his team plays IMO.

Another good post but can't agree about AP lowering expectations. It's only a few months since he was banging on about challenging the top four this season. He just says anything. Mostly, what he thinks people want to hear (or plays to his ego) but it is almost always stuff that sounds good but means nothing. He's wrapped himself up in a web of inconsistent rubbish and the confused message is clearly evident in the team.

I am on the highest horse.

My horse is like the trojan one, and it has a load of my soldiers inside. How do you like that shit?

Sometimes I wonder what Pardew actually does when he's standing on the touchline. Other managers either sit and study the game or stand their giving out some orders to their players.

He's standing 90 minutes of the game and sometimes seems like a person watching the sunset.

Sometimes I wonder what Pardew actually does when he's standing on the touchline. Other managers either sit and study the game or stand their giving out some orders to their players.

He's standing 90 minutes of the game and sometimes seems like a person watching the sunset.

He's cut out the pockets in his peacoat so he can wank it for 90 minutes.

He's generally shouting generally encouraging things to his players, if I recall correctly....

He's cut out the pockets in his peacoat so he can w*** it for 90 minutes.

Him and Carver were talking for about 10 minutes last night before coming up with the masterstroke of substituting our most effective player for our least effective player, followed by 10 minutes of lumping the ball from back to front.

Demonstrating his tactical genius is clearly what he does on the touchline.

He's very vocal on the touchline imho. I can't think of a recent manager who's been as involved from that point of view. Even Fat Sam was fairly pensive for a big fat loud mouthed bellend.

Having reflected on last night, my view is that he's got some very obvious limitations with the prime one being we don't have any set style of play or approach followed by a complete lack of movement in possession. His coaching (something which he's actually been praised for from current and previous players) seems to focus more on the negative than the positive (i.e: let's worry about not getting beat and give winning a little after-thought) but he's coming in for some fierce criticism right now, some of it unfair.

I genuinely think he's got a lot less time to prepare the team for matches due to the Europa schedule, we have been hampered by injuries and suspensions which, whilst not the be all and end all, have certainly contributed to a lack of consistency and have made us a very stop/start outfit.

On the plus side, he's seems to 'get' the club and he's the chosen one by Ashley which means we're going to have to live with the guy.

I suspect we'll reflect back in a few years and see that NUFC is the new Everton. Have some good years, have some bad years, sell some star players, buy pretty well and overall are pretty competitive.

My gut feeling is that Pardew is here for the long-term the only doubt in my mind is that Ashley absolutely has a habit of being trigger happy/lethal in his business life. You only have to research the sheer volume of Directors/Senior Managers he's fired or influenced their dismissal through his equity ownership to know that once he's not happy then he's going to wield the axe.

Surely though, if that time comes for Pardew he'll be having a good go back at Ashley for not being supported in the transfer market, something which any inbound coach would have to deal with.

Sometimes, it's just better the devil you know. And with those two running our football club, that may not be the worst thing in the world.

The other thing is, I'd love to know if Carver and Stone tried to intervene with his Shola for Ben Arfa masterstroke.  I still fully maintain they're not free from blame either.  They're the coaches and have an input into what we practice and the way we set up.

I'd love to think they will tell AP to give his head a fucking shake at times but I bet they don't.

Cameras showed a shot of Carver and Pardew talking tactics/subs not long after Fulham's second. Pardew had his obligatory notebook in his hand and was pointing this way and that, Carver said something. Pardew responded. Carver tried again. (Or said something else.) Pardew pointed again and spoke. Carver looked away with a grimace and gave up.

No idea what he was saying to Pards but I like to think it made sense.