Alan Pardew

Dave

The hoofing second half was diabolical, and everyone was doing it, as a clear instruction from the manager. No doubt about it.

However, the particular enthusiasm with which Steven Taylor carried out this command really wound me up.

He wasn't even attempting to aim for Shola. He was just ballooning that thing into the stratosphere.

It was down right offensive. Honestly.

Despite clear footage to the contrary.  Ok then...

Aye you could see Pardew going nuts on the sidelines in the last 15 or 20 minutes because of the hoofing. It clearly wasn't a gameplan at all, and just the sign of a nervous team desperate for a win.

The first half performance was entirely down to luck too.

The first half performance was down to Pardew setting us up well, as he did against Reading. The 2nd half performance was down to him undoing his good work.

If he wants to keep us up he needs to sort it out as 45 minutes of good football against poor sides isn't going to be enough.

Guest icemanblue

The hoofing second half was diabolical, and everyone was doing it, as a clear instruction from the manager. No doubt about it.

However, the particular enthusiasm with which Steven Taylor carried out this command really wound me up.

He wasn't even attempting to aim for Shola. He was just ballooning that thing into the stratosphere.

Aye you could see Pardew going nuts on the sidelines in the last 15 or 20 minutes because of the hoofing. It clearly wasn't a gameplan at all, and just the sign of a nervous team desperate for a win.

The first half performance was down to Pardew setting us up well, as he did against Reading. The 2nd half performance was down to him undoing his good work.

If he wants to keep us up he needs to sort it out as 45 minutes of good football against poor sides isn't going to be enough.

I kind of agree. Players do need that extra bit of confidence to be able to sustain a performance over 90 minutes too. Not just the manager.

I saw insatnces of Pardew asking the players to stay back in that second half. No doubt. Why would he do that?

Purely a coincidence that as soon as Shola stepped on the pitch, the ball started flying over our entire midfield with embarassing regularity?

It was a calculated a plan. One Pardew thought was a genius idea to counter the pressure they were applying.

He didn't have the confidence to allow us to settle back into a period of posession, by just freshening things up with Anita coming on for Jonas, and Mbiwa for Taylor.

The man has no courage whatsoever.

To leave Jonas on and take off Sissoko and Gouffran in particular, who still looked fresh, was crazy.

Myself and others have seen footage, during the particularly dark times of last night, where it is clear that Pardew is telling his players to keep the ball.  That seems to me to go directly against your 'guess' that Pardew instructed the players to hit the ball long.

Yes at one point he lost it, shouting when Krul hoofed it forward for the tenth time, with seconds between Shola doing nothing and it coming straight back.

Really? I think it was more to do with us not being able to weather the (somewhat inevitable) storm with a couple of poor decisions (one from Debuchy in particular). You watch the premiership every week, and you see a losing team spring out the traps second half all the time. It's about weathering the storm for more than a couple of minutes.

I have no doubt that if we had made it to about 60 mins without conceding we would have won much more comfortably. Villa would have burnt out and we would have started playing again.

As it was, we shot ourselves in the foot 3 mins into the second half, which set us on the back foot for the rest of the game.

:thup:

Really? I think it was more to do with us not being able to weather the (somewhat inevitable) storm with a couple of poor decisions (one from Debuchy in particular). You watch the premiership every week, and you see a losing team spring out the traps second half all the time. It's about weathering the storm for more than a couple of minutes.

I have no doubt that if we had made it to about 60 mins without conceding we would have won much more comfortably. Villa would have burnt out and we would have started playing again.

As it was, we shot ourselves in the foot 3 mins into the second half, which set us on the back foot for the rest of the game.

You may be right, but I've never seen Villa dominate to such an extent over a 50 minute period.

You can describe it in a simple phrase: Contain and put away the few chances half/clear cut that we make.

That was the beauty of Cisse and Ba last year, they would just score off almost anything.

Infact the domination we displayed yesterday in the first half probably caught everyone by surprise. We can do it in spells in games and in the PL what happens in those spells is the key.

Yep.

Literally the difference between us and the opposition last year. Sure Krul and Colo where great but those lads needed little to strike a goal last season.

You may be right, but I've never seen Villa dominate to such an extent over a 50 minute period.

How many clear cut chances did they actually have like? 3?

Our players clearly lost their bottle when the kitchen sink was thrown at them. I'm 99% sure that Pardew didn't want them to play the hoof ball that they resorted to as well (judging by his anger on the touchline at Krul).

They are terrible like. They remind me of us. Spent the last 10 minutes hoofing it again and again. We couldn't keep the ball to repel pressure to save our lives and they kept lumping it up.

I don't know if they'll go down but atm they are the worst team in the division. T

:thup: Its no coincidence we constantly make poor sides look good, its down to Pardew's moronic choices and tactics.

We can win games that mask his deficiencies, but these deficiencies will not go away no matter how much you ignore them.

Pardew is just limited and while he's here we won't get the best from these players.

It wasn't Villa's "brilliance" or our players faults that Cisse ended up on the wing, Shola was brought on to play CF, Mbiwa was brought on into midfield and Gouffran and Sissoko was taken off eliminating any pace we had.

These were all Pardew decisions and we keep seeing them week in week out, be naive if you must but the same mistakes are being repeated it has nothing to do with the players being nervous its to do with the Pardew and his moronic decisions.

It is no coincidence these things keep happening and don't be surprised if they continue to happen as they have done so for the majority of Pardew's time here.

:thup: Its no coincidence we constantly make poor sides look good, its down to Pardew's moronic choices and tactics.

We can win games that mask his deficiencies, but these deficiencies will not go away no matter how much you ignore them.

Pardew is just limited and while he's here we won't get the best from these players.

It wasn't Villa's "brilliance" or our players faults that Cisse ended up on the wing, Shola was brought on to play CF, Mbiwa was brought on into midfield and Gouffran and Sissoko was taken off eliminating any pace we had.

These were all Pardew decisions and we keep seeing them week in week out, be naive if you must but the same mistakes are being repeated it has nothing to do with the players being nervous its to do with the Pardew and his moronic decisions.

It is no coincidence these things keep happening and don't be surprised if they continue to happen as they have done so for the majority of Pardew's time here.

What's your opinion of the first half yesterday then, that won us the game? Who's getting the credit for that? Notwithstanding your post their.

Pardew deserves credit for setting the team up in the first half(same goes for Reading game) but far too often and it happened last season once we get a lead he bottles it.

I don't find these constant performances with one good half and one bad half a coincidence, as mentioned earlier by someone ( can't remember who) he is fine when the game is level but he doesn't seem to know how to set up a team to chase a game or hold a lead.

Hardly a recipe for success.

What's your opinion of the first half yesterday then, that won us the game? Who's getting the credit for that? Notwithstanding your post their.

The first half was pretty good. I don't think anyone has any issues with how we start games, the problem is usually how we finish games, and our lack of ability to deal with the opposition changes during a game. The substitutions usually make things worse rather than better.

I saw insatnces of Pardew asking the players to stay back in that second half. No doubt. Why would he do that?

Purely a coincidence that as soon as Shola stepped on the pitch, the ball started flying over our entire midfield with embarassing regularity?

It was a calculated a plan. One Pardew thought was a genius idea to counter the pressure they were applying.

He didn't have the confidence to allow us to settle back into a period of posession, by just freshening things up with Anita coming on for Jonas, and Mbiwa for Taylor.

The man has no courage whatsoever.

To leave Jonas on and take off Sissoko and Gouffran in particular, who still looked fresh, was crazy.

Myself and others have seen footage, during the particularly dark times of last night, where it is clear that Pardew is telling his players to keep the ball.  That seems to me to go directly against your 'guess' that Pardew instructed the players to hit the ball long.

Yes at one point he lost it, shouting when Krul hoofed it forward for the tenth time, with seconds between Shola doing nothing and it coming straight back.

He probably lost it because he was upset it wasn't enough of a hoof as it didn't travel forward far enough!

Okay, you know what, let's look at it this way.

Why do you leave Jonas on, who wasn't keeping posession of the ball whatsoever?

Bring on Shola, who was looking like he just woke up from sleeping on the bench, and who himself is woeful at keeping posession?

Bring on a centre back who is new to the league at DM, which would give us more problems in keeping posession?

Play our best posession DM in Anita in what looked like a roaming defensive second striker harrying role?

So he does all this and then yells at them to keep posession? Is this not then some kind of mad person?

After half time Villa switched from 442 to 4 2 4 and played it long to the front men.. So to counteract that threat Pardew takes off our defensive midfielder, Perch and brings on Ameobi.  I'm sorry but I couldn't think of a worse decision. Perhaps Pardew doesn't actually see these other sides switch formations and he just thought, oh well we are 2 up lets go for it bring on a goal every 9 months Shola and we'll batter them.  I am losing belief in Pardew by the minute, the new signings looked good but I think that's down to Carr and bugger all to do with Pardew

To argue Pardue instructed his players to play in a different manner / formation that they did in the second half assumes they are either blatantly ignoring him & his instructions or they were just incapable of doing so.

So which one was it?

The first half was pretty good. I don't think anyone has any issues with how we start games, the problem is usually how we finish games, and our lack of ability to deal with the opposition changes during a game. The substitutions usually make things worse rather than better.

This as well, i have been noticing it ever since the Fulham away game last season. Pardew doesn't seem to have a clue how to react to in-game changes.

Especially progressive changes.

Pardew's thought process is embarrasingly simple:

If trying to maintain a lead? Bring on Shola up top. He will hold the ball up for us. FAIL!

If behind in the game and need a goal? Bring Shola on up top, and go direct. He will turn into Drogba, and win every header until someone scores from one of his flick ons. FAIL!

Time and time again it's what he does in teach of these instances.

I agree it's odd but i'm finding it hard to label last night's match in that same bracket - despite it looking similar.

imo it was a case of Villa instantly finding themselves back in the contest second half, and then about us having the cohones to see it out.

We havent won away from home for some time and he played to protect a lead which we ultimate did. We won.

I want to see what he does at the next home game considering the stick he got from the Marv debacle last time.

Beyond Pards I dont see options that could handle the job and work under the regime and pressure that goes with our well supported club.

We havent won away from home for some time and he played to protect a lead which we ultimate did. We won.

I want to see what he does at the next home game considering the stick he got from the Marv debacle last time.

Beyond Pards I dont see options that could handle the job and work under the regime and pressure that goes with our well supported club.

The regime that provides players like Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Cisse, Debuchy, Sissoko, Gouffran, Marveaux, Anita, Tiote, Colccini etc etc etc.

I agree it is a monumental task only a fool would accept.

I know if we had a better manager we wouldn't be worrying about relegation that's for sure.

I totally agree with your point on recruitment, but there's no way we should be this far down the table, even with the squad we had early on. Not buying that.

The problem with the Premier League nowadays is every team can be turned over by another. Just look at some of the results. Now that he has the players that he should have had in the summer lets see what happens. And i havent included January because we still need another striker IMO.