Alan Pardew

Dave

So we sign 1 or 2 good players in the summer (let say Aubameyang and Sakho, or similar level signings) and a few prospects to pad out the squad.

What then is a good season for Pardew?

I would say Europa League qualification, is good, top ten acceptable, anything less then that is not good enough with what's available. Assuming there are no major outgoings in your scenario.

Just Colo as expected. 10th place acceptable with that squad really?

I guess I rate our players a lot higher than some...  :dontknow:

So we sign 1 or 2 good players in the summer (let say Aubameyang and Sakho, or similar level signings) and a few prospects to pad out the squad.

What then is a good season for Pardew?

I would say Europa League qualification, is good, top ten acceptable, anything less then that is not good enough with what's available. Assuming there are no major outgoings in your scenario.

Just Colo as expected. 10th place acceptable with that squad really?

I guess I rate our players a lot higher than some...  :dontknow:

I do too but I don't think any manager that guides us to a top 10 has done a good job that season. We need to be consistenly challenging for Europa before we can raise our expectations IMO.

If we win Europa Leauge, of course this season has been fantastic. After all it is about winning stuff. the league season has still been very disappointing and is a failure and has shown that Pardew will never be a top manager.

If we win the Europa League I will be demanding Pardew gets a fucking knighthood FFS. He'll have earned his 7 more years and more if he delivered a fucking real trophy man.

Where the hell did this comparison with one of the greatest ever managers come from btw? :lol:

Feel a lot more comfortable comparing him to the likes of Moyes etc..

I wasn't suggesting Pards will ever be as good or even close to as good as Ferguson.  My point was merely that even the greatest managers had points in their career where they could, justifiably, have been judged to be doing a bad job.

Next season will be the one where Pardew can be truly judged in my opinion.  My point is that this season doesn't prove anything at all.

:lol:

How the hell does this season not prove anything at all? 

Where the hell did this comparison with one of the greatest ever managers come from btw? :lol:

I wasn't suggesting Pards will ever be as good or even close to as good as Ferguson.  My point was merely that even the greatest managers had points in their career where they could, justifiably, have been judged to be doing a bad job.

Not repeatedly though. Pardew wasn't sacked by West Ham and Southampton for nothing.

Next season will be the one where Pardew can be truly judged in my opinion.  My point is that this season doesn't prove anything at all.

;D

Well enough people appear to think that finishing 5th didn't prove anything...

Pardew hasn´t shown anything for me that he will take us to the next level. He sure seems to be able to get a team with quality play a bit, but that´s not true quality for me.

Yes there are worse managers out there. But I want more. Shot me for that if you want.

Btw, the argument about that it´s not any idea to talk about this because he will stay, what´s that all about??

;D

Answer the question, man.

Pardew hasn´t shown anything for me that he will take us to the next level. He sure seems to be able to get a team with quality play a bit, but that´s not true quality for me.

Yes there are worse managers out there. But I want more. Shot me for that if you want.

Btw, the argument about that it´s not any idea to talk about this because he will stay, what´s that all about??

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/08/10/news/photos_stories/cropped/gun--300x300.jpg

Not repeatedly though. Pardew wasn't sacked by West Ham and Southampton for nothing.

His Southampton sacking was nothing to do with performance was it? Well not THAT type of performance?

;D

So that's your basis for writing off this season?  :lol:

It's my basis for stating that next season will be the best time to judge him.  He had a good half season when he took over, followed up by an exceptionally good season.  He has had a poor season to date.  That is enough to give him next season to see how he gets on.

Seriously though, if Pardew wins us the Europa League, his name will (rightly) go down in NUFC folklore.

Will more than make up this season's failings...

This season has more to do with those holding the purse strings than the man in the dugout imo

I'll dig out 2 sets of starting 11s for every game this season and give you countless examples of where we should have got 1, 2, or 3 more points in each game if you like.

This blaming last summer for everything is fucking bollocks.  I was annoyed about it and it was a massive contributing factor but we've underachieved either way.

This season has definitely been a failure, he has played his part but has also been let down in other areas (suspensions, injuries, a lack of investment in the summer and as much as some will put it down to Pardew I don't agree he is completely responsible for certain players under performing).

Give your head a shake, Jon. You're falling into the knee-jerkists' trap of judging things before they've had chance to unfold.

Wait until the season finishes before saying it was a success/failure.

Also, are you just going to look at the end of season results (league finish, cup performances, etc) or how we played over the season or how the squad improved/weakened from the start or how the younger players improved/regressed?

:thup:

I'll dig out 2 sets of starting 11s for every game this season and give you countless examples of where we should have got 1, 2, or 3 more points in each game if you like.

This blaming last summer for everything is f***ing b*llocks.  I was annoyed about it and it was a massive contributing factor but we've underachieved either way.

We have underachieved. However I'd say the lack of strengthening in summer had more of an affect than you seem to suggest.

Perfect example is the Taylor injury at the end of the Southampton game in November. He missed 12 games, we lost 9 of them, conceding 26 times. If we'd signed Mbiwa in the summer it is highly unlikely that we'd have conceded that many. Not simply because he looks like an absolute gem of a player, but instead because we'd not be relying on a Championship centre half.

I'm not blaming it for everything, just most of the things. The injuries we've endured this season were the quota for this year and last in one go. Pardew must still shoulder some blame for limited tactics but he's a limited manager. He's got this job because he's happy to accept that he'll only have a small say in transfers in and out, he's accepting a small basic wage (presumably incentivised for cup/league success), he's going to toe the party line and he's a competent enough manager to do well enough in the competitions to keep us content.

I think even Ferguson would have struggled to do much better with the 1st team that's been available for much of the season.

I think that last sentence is a joke tbh, I was more pissed off than anyone with last summer's inactivity but the team we've put out this season should have won loads more games than it has.  The Taylor example's a decent one to present but that's one weak link that doesn't excuse countless losses/draws against some very poor teams.

I think even Ferguson would have struggled to do much better with the 1st team that's been available for much of the season.

Come on, man :lol: There's worse teams above us and they've been there all season. I've seen on here many times that Pardew gets the most out of squad players but this season has disproved that completely.