Alan Pardew

Dave

Hmm to get 8th last year required 52 points.  We'd need 22 from 11 to get that many points, which is basically almost title-winning form.

Effectively 31 points from our last 15 games then...top 3 form for 40% of a season just to have a chance to finish top 8, what a mess the season was before this month. :lol:

Hmm to get 8th last year required 52 points.  We'd need 22 from 11 to get that many points, which is basically almost title-winning form.

Effectively 31 points from our last 15 games then...top 3 form for 40% of a season just to have a chance to finish top 8, what a mess the season was before this month. :lol:

I know, I feel like Everton.

This season has definitely been a failure, he has played his part but has also been let down in other areas (suspensions, injuries, a lack of investment in the summer and as much as some will put it down to Pardew I don't agree he is completely responsible for certain players under performing).

I think he is capable of being a good manager for us despite having some very frustrating ideals.

Certainly don't hate him or desperately want rid, I also have a complete lack of faith in us appointing a better manager which is why I probably give him more support than I would if I thought we were likely to bring someone in who would be an improvement.

He had a brilliant first full season despite not always playing the most enticing football, even after he took over the loss of Carroll had a lot of us (myself included) predicting relegation so you could say he over-performed for a season and a half. As said, this season has been a failure but since we have invested in the squad depth we have looked a lot better so that's promising. Sissoko shows he is capable of getting the best out of good players, you can also say he has gotten the best out of the poorer players like Perch, Best, Guthrie etc..

We should be going all out for the Europa and trying to get around 10th place. If we have another season like this in 13/14 I would hope we would be looking for a replacement but he isn't anywhere near the shove for me at the moment.

Would it be a failure if we finished 9th-12th but got to the final of the UEFA or even won it?

Still a lot of football to be played before we can really call this season a complete right off in my opinion.

Good point, if we did win it then surely it's our best season since 69. Those are the fine margins though. In terms of our league campaign it has been worse than it should have been.

If we win Europa Leauge, of course this season has been fantastic. After all it is about winning stuff. the league season has still been very disappointing and is a failure and has shown that Pardew will never be a top manager.

I remember last season Liverpool had an average season in the league but they won a cup.

I'd love it if we won Europa and finished 10th to be honest, though I can't see it happening.

They have it in their DNA/mentality to win cups during periods of relative failure. I'd love nothing more but I suspect we won't win a cup until we look like we're actually interested in winning one. Shame because it would be the best thing that's ever happened.

If we win Europa Leauge, of course this season has been fantastic. After all it is about winning stuff. the league season has still been very disappointing and is a failure and has shown that Pardew will never be a top manager.

When Ferguson finished 11th and 13th with Man Utd... did that prove he would never be a top manager?  I am interested to know what formula you use.

When Ferguson finished 11th and 13th with Man Utd... did that prove he would never be a top manager?  I am interested to know what formula you use.

He won loads before he went there. These examples never hold up.

He'd won a lot in Scotland - yes.  Not sure how that makes the example irrelevant.

I'm just intrigued to know how a bad season from Pardew 'proves' he won't be a top manager.  This season 'proves' nothing.  It's a nonsense statement.

He'd won a lot in Scotland - yes.  Not sure how that makes the example irrelevant.

I'm just intrigued to know how a bad season from Pardew 'proves' he won't be a top manager.  This season 'proves' nothing.  It's a nonsense statement.

Won stuff with Aberdeen though...

Ferguson won the Cup Winners Cup and The Super Cup with Aberdeen (plus much more) which would buy him time at Man Utd. Compared to the 1 Football League Trophy win in Pardew's 15 year career it's like night and day.

I think the main point was that whenever Pardew does well with a team it always seems to backfire the next season and this season is yet another example of that. You can't be a top manager without consistency.

Aberdeen

Scottish Premier Division (3): 1979–80, 1983–84, 1984–85

Scottish Cup (4): 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86

Scottish League Cup (1): 1985–86

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup (1): 1982–83

UEFA Super Cup (1): 1983

But if we won the Europa Cup, Pardew would be up there with Joe Harvey as the most sucessful NUFC manager. Says a lot for how bad our recent history has been in terms of actually winning stuff.

So we sign 1 or 2 good players in the summer (let say Aubameyang and Sakho, or similar level signings) and a few prospects to pad out the squad.

What then is a good season for Pardew?

I would say Europa League qualification, is good, top ten acceptable, anything less then that is not good enough with what's available. Assuming there are no major outgoings in your scenario.

But if we won the Europa Cup, Pardew would be up there with Joe Harvey as the most sucessful NUFC manager. Says a lot for how bad our recent history has been in terms of actually winning stuff.

Thatcher was the longest serving Prime Minister for over 150 years.