Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest palnese

When was the last time we controlled a match and won convincingly? Stoke at home last year. We couldn't even keep a ten men Wigan side quiet. Yeah, we won 3-0, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game at all.

Why do we always have to fight for our lives to defend a lead, even though we're playing a weaker side?

It certainly can't be an easy job, but some of the mistakes he's made this season are baffling. Playing Cisse out wide and starting Shola in the middle, for f***'s sake. Not dropping Jonas, even though he's been worse than dogshite this season. It's criminal.

He's made too many mistakes this season, and I just don't trust him enough to not do the same mistakes all over. He talks the talk, but rarely walks the walk.

Except that we did and the score line did reflect the game they was lucky it wasn't more.

Well, I never felt safe until Bigi scored the third.. That might just be me mind.

In another thread I saw AVB mentioned as a much better manager, one that could presumably get the best out of Ben Arfa. Yet when I look at Spurs, I see a side not too dissimilar to us last season: they don't "control" games from start to finish, as you seem to imply we need to do more off, and are often reliant on individual moments of brilliance to get them the 3 points.

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether these expectations are grounded in reality. Newcastle play in the Premiership, one of the best football leagues in the world where on its day every team is capable of beating every other team, and things are often decided by the slimmest of margins, i.e. a referee decision or an inspired moment. Hardly any team in the history of the Premiership has controlled games to the point where the opposition never had a chance. What makes you think this Newcastle United side, as promising as it looks on paper, are any different?

Difference between us and Spurs is though among quite a lot of other things they usually dominate possession and chances against the lesser teams.

We don't which is something i'd like to see improved long term, now i'm no Brendan Rodgers but when i see that we average 49% possession per game i think with the players we have we could do a lot better.

Guest palnese

In another thread I saw AVB mentioned as a much better manager, one that could presumably get the best out of Ben Arfa. Yet when I look at Spurs, I see a side not too dissimilar to us last season: they don't "control" games from start to finish, as you seem to imply we need to do more off, and are often reliant on individual moments of brilliance to get them the 3 points.

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether these expectations are grounded in reality. Newcastle play in the Premiership, one of the best football leagues in the world where on its day every team is capable of beating every other team, and things are often decided by the slimmest of margins, i.e. a referee decision or an inspired moment. Hardly any team in the history of the Premiership has controlled games to the point where the opposition never had a chance. What makes you think this Newcastle United side, as promising as it looks on paper, are any different?

I see your point, and I might come across as deluded to some. I just think with the quality we have we should be able to finish teams off more often than not, and not invite them into the game after taking the lead.

It's so frustrating to watch, and it's hard not to blame the manager for this, because it's always like that. We score, then defend. I just don't see why Pardew can't see that this has backfired way too often, yet we keep on doing it.

Difference between us and Spurs is though among quite a lot of other things they usually dominate possession and chances against the lesser teams.

We don't which is something i'd like to see improved long term, now i'm no Brendan Rodgers but when i see that we average 49% possession per game i think with the players we have we could do a lot better.

We have some excellent counter attacking players now at our disposal, with the addition of Goufran and Sissoko predominantly. I think you'll have to wait for a long time to see us set out to dominate possession, as I don't think that suits our current players all that much. I expect Pardew to mould these players into a solid, hard working team that can be lethal on the break and win matches through a moment of magic coming from almost anywhere, just like the best teams in the country do. And that would do me just fine tbh.

While i agree with that, i still think we could keep the ball a lot better.

Now that I wholeheartedly agree with. We have to find a way to keep possession of the ball a lot better when we are tactically set out to contain, like when we're winning. I think it's mindless to say "forget we're ahead and keep attacking away, as attack is the best form of defense". That is just too simplistic and people will complain when we drop points because we are caught out at the back (like we could have easily done vs Southampton when Santon should have focused on being  a defender first and foremost when we were 2-1 up). It's natural to slightly sit back when you are winning a fairly even match: it saves energy or allows players to regain their breath and prevents being caught on the break. It's also a matter of confidence: a team on a bad run will feel more inclined to do it for fear of another bad result. In short, I don't think sitting back is as bad as has been portayed on here so regularly, and it's almost certainly not a conscious approach to a football match. Incidents change the course of a football match: one team scores and the other knows it needs to force the issue or risk losing, meaning they take more risks and move forward as well.

Anyway, as I said, when we are trying to close a game out, I would definitely like Pardew to change his approach to HOW we actually do this, because it is imperative to keep possession and be a thread on the counter attack in these situations. Unfortunately in the last few weeks we have sometimes seen that we carry no outlet in these circumstances, and indeed do invite pressure on us. This is certainly an area where Pardew could and perhaps should improve, but the amount of stick he gets for it makes you wonder if some people purposely completely overlook the positives to concentrate on the negatives.

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether these expectations are grounded in reality. Newcastle play in the Premiership, one of the best football leagues in the world where on its day every team is capable of beating every other team, and things are often decided by the slimmest of margins, i.e. a referee decision or an inspired moment. Hardly any team in the history of the Premiership has controlled games to the point where the opposition didn't have a chance. What makes you think this Newcastle United side, as promising as it looks on paper, are any different?

I do wonder sometimes whether it might be healthy for some of the more aggrieved of us on here to invest in viewing another team playing as they would if they were Newcastle for a few games. Even the top teams in the league would do; watching Arsenal inviting pressure for extended periods, getting pissed with ManUtds slow starts, or as you say, watching Tottenham fail to control games and relying on moments of brilliance. Not saying we should stop the clamour for our own improvement of course, that's rightly always the aim. :thup:

The idea of jettisoning Pardew for a new manager (I guess the current fairly obtainable favourites being McCLaren, Martinez, Moyes, Adkins and Laudrup) as the ultimate quick fix to clear the final few hurdles of starting halves slowly and an inability to consistently dominate a game seems a little unconvincing to me though.

Surprisingly even people like HTT clamouring for his head during the campaign now seem happy to see him stay on till the summer before being replaced. But even then it still seems lunacy to me for the upheaval it would cause.

Oh, one more thing regarding the style of play beating at Pardews core. However far you have credited him with the signings in the past, it seems pretty clear he is an essential part of the process and has over a couple of years brought in almost a full team that surely reflects his own philosophy (something he has been consistent about from the start of his tenure).

This is not a team assembled (at a similiar cost to Pulis's Stoke or another wretched Sunderland side) to play defensive 'hoofball' is it?

Reading some of these comments makes me wonder whether these expectations are grounded in reality. Newcastle play in the Premiership, one of the best football leagues in the world where on its day every team is capable of beating every other team, and things are often decided by the slimmest of margins, i.e. a referee decision or an inspired moment. Hardly any team in the history of the Premiership has controlled games to the point where the opposition didn't have a chance. What makes you think this Newcastle United side, as promising as it looks on paper, are any different?

I do wonder sometimes whether it might be healthy for some of the more aggrieved of us on here to invest in viewing another team playing as they would if they were Newcastle for a few games. Even the top teams in the league would do; watching Arsenal inviting pressure for extended periods, getting p*ssed with ManUtds slow starts, or as you say, watching Tottenham fail to control games and relying on moments of brilliance. Not saying we should stop the clamour for our own improvement of course, that's rightly always the aim. :thup:

The idea of jettisoning Pardew for a new manager (I guess the current fairly obtainable favourites being McCLaren, Martinez, Moyes, Adkins and Laudrup) as the ultimate quick fix to clear the final few hurdles of starting halves slowly and an inability to consistently dominate a game seems a little unconvincing to me though.

Surprisingly even people like HTT clamouring for his head during the campaign now seem happy to see him stay on till the summer before being replaced. But even then it still seems lunacy to me for the upheaval it would cause.

to be honest, I dont even think we need a new manager - a forward thinking coach with his own mind would be a great help. Pards is loved by the players and is good for morale. he just needs a few things pointed out to him.

I do wonder sometimes whether it might be healthy for some of the more aggrieved of us on here to invest in viewing another team playing as they would if they were Newcastle for a few games. Even the top teams in the league would do; watching Arsenal inviting pressure for extended periods, getting p*ssed with ManUtds slow starts, or as you say, watching Tottenham fail to control games and relying on moments of brilliance. Not saying we should stop the clamour for our own improvement of course, that's rightly always the aim. :thup:

to be honest, I dont even think we need a new manager - a forward thinking coach with his own mind would be a great help. Pards is loved by the players and is good for morale. he just needs a few things pointed out to him.

That may be best approach, get Nobby in or look for someone with an attacking mentality. I don't doubt Pards has the organisation capabilities and preperation it's the coaching we appear to be lacking in

My problem with Pardew is that he does not learn from his mistakes.

I do not trust his tactics, nor his approach to the game.

Which mistake has he not learnt from recently? (starting slowly does not constitute a mistake as I hardly think he sets the team up to back off for 10 mins)

Putting Cisse on the wing maybe ?

That may be best approach, get Nobby in or look for someone with an attacking mentality. I don't doubt Pards has the organisation capabilities and preperation it's the coaching we appear to be lacking in

Nobby teaching Set penis' :sweetjesus:

Guest Dontooner

Absolutely agree with getting a coach in order to help Pardew with set pieces,routines and passing.

Pardew is a excellent Man Manager if we could hire someone to help with coaching to allow us perform better and be consistent , i wouldn't even mind even if he stay for 18 years.

The Problem is the football we play, it must be more than relying on players qualities but shifted towards team dynamics that is more consistent.

The top teams are up there there for a reason though. Whatever they do is effective and leads to consistently good results. We're down the bottom because what we're doing isn't working for the most part and a good manager would have hopefully adapted in some way months ago.

We've definitely got the best squad outside the top 6 now so I expect much better performances on the pitch regardless of the result (to a degree).

Guest palnese

Which mistake has he not learnt from recently? (starting slowly does not constitute a mistake as I hardly think he sets the team up to back off for 10 mins)

Which he's done once in the last 6 games, barring the odd 5 or 10 minute spell here and there. Hardly a mistake when it's part of a gameplan that ends up winning the game.

That was down to some brilliant goalkeeping from Krul.

Which he's done once in the last 6 games, barring the odd 5 or 10 minute spell here and there. Hardly a mistake when it's part of a gameplan that ends up winning the game.

I don't why i'm arguing this, i've not been one who thinks he f**ks up CONSTANTLY but in reposte to you, i don't think Cisse on the wing contributed to our success that night.

As regard to my view on Pardew (not that you asked :lol:) is that i don't think he's done particularly well with what he's got. We could and should be better. Better players helps but better players help anyone and everyone. Before the Jan signings i thought we looked in a real mess and we were slipping well into a dog fight to stay in the league. We had better players AVAILABLE at the time than that but we were still there. I thought some of that would be down to him. I thought that if we went into the bottom 3 he should have gone, as it was the board opened it's purse and we have a much improved squad. No threat of relegation now in my mind so Pardew should stay. If the rest of the season goes well, unless someone of a very obvious step up in quality fancies it, Pardew should probably get next season too. If the rest of  this season is poor, i think the board need to examine their options. They'll have a squad full of assets piddling down around the bottom, which isn't good enough for anyone i'm sure.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've never clamoured for his head as you put it during the campaign, if anything I have been very conservative when it has come to any criticism of Pardew given my previous form. Indeed the only time I would consider getting rid during the season is if we were in immediate danger of relegation which now thankfully seems to not be the case. That said, he needs to go once the season has ended because we will always struggle to put in good performances under hm due to his negative, cautious, long ball tactics and his inability to implement any kind of fluid/cohesive game plan.

We have a very good first-team and an ever improving squad with players capable of playing much better football than we serve up under Pardew. This season when compared to last season has been nothing short of a disaster and Pardew has to take much of the blame for that with his god awful tactics, at times baffling team selections and ultra defensive approach which sees us try to defend narrow leads as early as half-time for example or put square pegs in round holes. Cisse as a winger I ask you?!

Furthermore I have been massively f***ed off by his whole negative and defeatist handling of our European campaign. The whole point of finishing 5th is to play European football the following season! Well, Alan, if you can't f***ing handle it f*** off to a club that doesn't need European football. People forget, we need European football as a club. Not only so that we don't end up an also ran but to also stay away from the dreaded mid-table mediocrity rot that infests the likes of f***ing Fulham. Plus our players need to be playing European football.

I'm also pig sick of the way he treats domestic cup ties by fielding weakened teams. The side that faced Brighton was a disgrace and he even had the bare faced cheek to then criticise the younger players and fringe players for not stepping up.

Quite frankly, the man is an idiot and a bit of a fraud. He can talk a good game and dresses smart but he has won the lottery at Newcastle compared to previous managers under Ashley and indeed further back.

Our form has improved as has results but we still ship in too many goals and still play a scrappy game in fits and starts. As ever we rely on individual brilliance in terms of one off moments i.e. Cisse's goal or in terms of the players themselves, i.e. Sisoko. We do not beat teams due to fluid football or superior tactics etc. We are so easy to play against and look clueless in possession half the time.

A better manager/coach to this group of players would like what the Jan window has been to Pardew. a lifeline.

Agree with this idea wholeheartedly. The way I watch NUFC games, and I'm sure it's the same for all of you, is entirely different from the way I watch any other teams. As a supporter that watches a team's every game, people notice trends, they know what players are capable of, they pick up on minor traits, and many fixate on (mostly bad) things.

I venture to guess that if Danny Simpson played at Fulham or Villa, most people would think he was an average to above-average, serviceable RB. Some on here think that, but others think he's Satan's spawn mainly due to his tendency to back off and his poor final balls while completely ignoring any positive aspects of his game.

An even better example, people have already started to point out Sissoko's lack of involvement defending and the occasional carelessness he shows in possession (usually trying to make something happen). Do you think any neutral has noticed this?

Likewise, I'm sure Man Utd. fans have complained about aspects of RvP's play this season or that there are Everton fans that have a lot of negative things to say about David Moyes.

I'm not saying fans can't judge their teams fairly and effectively, but certain things can definitely get blown out of proportion and the bigger picture is sometimes lost. This is why I love observations about NUFC from some of the neutrals on here.

That was down to some brilliant goalkeeping from Krul.

I don't think playing Cisse on the right meant we let the opposition were given a load of chances. I do believe pretty much every player on the pitch should do a bit of defensive work but I really can't see how Cisse playing on the right was a direct link to the chances they created.

If we don't finish top 8 with the squad he has and where we are now, it'd be his fault now. Before the window it was hard to suggest anything, he had his hands tied at best. Last season his Plan A was long ball to Cisse+Ba and telling his midfield to sit so deep they couldn't even contest the second ball, game after game after game. Give the ball to the opposition and see what happens. Took a player in the form of his life for people not to see this.