Alan Pardew

Dave

Depends on your definition of a wasted season.

watching a group of talented international class players (the best we've had for many, many years) huff and puff their way around the park, unable to string passes together and trying to avoid defeat in every match they play over the entire season

that'd be my definition, as it stands

Guest icemanblue

into his 3rd full year and the quality of the playing squad has improved massively since he arrived, he still can't get them to perform as a cohesive football unit so in my opinion the likelihood he's going to produce another 5th place is very slim

especially considering we keep signing players who don't fit the system that he played (seemingly the only one he knows) to get us 5th

by all means let's give him another year if we stay up but i'll make a bet right now it'll just lead to another wasted season

Come on then, which system is that?

good question, i have no idea how to describe it it's such a fucking joke...but it's characterised by:

keeping the players in a rigid shape to protect us from the other team at all costs

getting the ball forward to the strikers at the earliest opportunity*, changing the phase of play or whatever bollocks he calls it

*but don't over-commit when the ball goes forward, 2 or 3 players should be able to do the business on their own, the rest have to stay in shape to protect us from the counter

there's nothing else to it is there?

fwiw i think this is part of his problem because we don't even do these things well anymore...he probably knows the players we have aren't suited to it but doesn't have the ability to change it into anything else hence it's just such a mess

Right. This 'system' was all that we played last season, whilst employing several different formations? Was it that same system which produced the football played during our winning streak, which helped cement our position?

What I'm getting at, is that there seems to be a fair whack of revisionist history about at the minute. People don't like him, have no faith in him, whatever. He's had a shiter this season, no doubt, but there were very, very few making legitimate complaints throughout the entire season. Our current malaise, shouldn't cloud what was, for me anyway, a fantastic season overall. One of the most enjoyable of my time supporting the club.

Guest Roger Kint

Who really cares whether some fans would bin him though? The bloke that decides isnt going to do it so he will be manager regardless of this forums opinion, the fans dont have any say in the matter  :lol:

Do you have a hot line to Ashley by any chance...?

I would have thought that the LAST thing anyone would do is try to predict what Ashley will do about anything.....

He gave him an 8 year contract for fucks sake its hardly a great leap to say he wont sack Pardew if we stay up :lol:

The most logical step this summer would be to make an upgrade to our coaching staff, whether it is Pardew himself or his coaching team that lacks that bit extra we will never know. Our squad has improved greatly this year, we add three poiples and that only leaves one glaringly obvious upgrade to be made.

I am assuming Mike Ashley will be aware of this, he's been here a few years and has got a grip on it now... Come on fatboy!!!

Depends on your definition of a wasted season.

watching a group of talented international class players (the best we've had for many, many years) huff and puff their way around the park, unable to string passes together and trying to avoid defeat in every match they play over the entire season

that'd be my definition, as it stands

Even if we came 5th again?

Don't all teams try to avoid defeat when playing? Isn't that a fundamental of the game?

What I'm getting at, is that there seems to be a fair whack of revisionist history about at the minute. People don't like him, have no faith in him, whatever. He's had a shiter this season, no doubt, but there were very, very few making legitimate complaints throughout the entire season. Our current malaise, shouldn't cloud what was, for me anyway, a fantastic season overall. One of the most enjoyable of my time supporting the club.

no you're right, last year it worked...he had it nailed and he got lucky with injuries...it was good when it worked but it was awful when it didn't

myself and a few others very clearly pointed out how shite it was more than once last season and stated that the tactic of trying to win every game 1-0 could never last...he made it a full season, more than most, so credit to him for that

this year it's been a shambolic mess and he's had no answers, none man, so plenty in the negative column for him there

as for the not liking him chelp i've never brought his personality or anything else into it, he was growing on me last season when it looked like he was developing the playing side of things...unfortunately it didn't last, like the results

tell you what like, to the average mag on a horse that 5th place last year has bought pardiola a massive amount of leeway i reckon, mate got back to work yesterday and we started talking...he was incredulous when i said i'd bin him in the summer like

Yeah, that's the case with everyone I speak to as well, outside of Newcastle.

My faith in him is a lot less than it was, but I'm just willing to give him next season assuming we stay up. Both because of last season and for stability reasons.

:thup:

Fucking sympathising scum. (I would too)

Only if he agrees to stop telling our best players to play shit though.

:thup: The three amigos of sanity.

The average mag on a horse doesn't spend his weekdays analysing performances in minute detail, therefore allows themselves to view the bigger picture. If forums such as this represented truly an average fans' view, supporting newcastle would be an even more depressing existence than it unfortunately is.

As if minute detail is necessary to see that we're shit.

I must admit, in the last 12 months I have become more and more convinced Pardew isn't good enough.

Don't you mean 'in the last 6 months'?

I'm sure no-one was thinking "oh, Alan, you're clearly not good enough for the job" while we were playing Liverpool off the park and beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge :lol:

Guest Dontooner

into his 3rd full year and the quality of the playing squad has improved massively since he arrived, he still can't get them to perform as a cohesive football unit so in my opinion the likelihood he's going to produce another 5th place is very slim

especially considering we keep signing players who don't fit the system that he played (seemingly the only one he knows) to get us 5th

by all means let's give him another year if we stay up but i'll make a bet right now it'll just lead to another wasted season

Come on then, which system is that?

good question, i have no idea how to describe it it's such a f***ing joke...but it's characterised by:

keeping the players in a rigid shape to protect us from the other team at all costs

getting the ball forward to the strikers at the earliest opportunity*, changing the phase of play or whatever bollocks he calls it

*but don't over-commit when the ball goes forward, 2 or 3 players should be able to do the business on their own, the rest have to stay in shape to protect us from the counter

there's nothing else to it is there?

fwiw i think this is part of his problem because we don't even do these things well anymore...he probably knows the players we have aren't suited to it but doesn't have the ability to change it into anything else hence it's just such a mess

Right. This 'system' was all that we played last season, whilst employing several different formations? Was it that same system which produced the football played during our winning streak, which helped cement our position?

He has a rubbish system that is over reliant on his purple players, he has no real formations that has an identity except for his 4-4-2 which i do see some patterns of play.  It was bloody obvious it would not last, being 10 years in a marriage doesnt mean it cannot sour into a divorce. Things change deal with it. You can still be happy and be glee with the fond memories of Pardew even if he stayed for another 7 seasons or if he leaves after this one.

Don't all teams try to avoid defeat when playing? Isn't that a fundamental of the game?

When we have failed to keep out the opposition in most games and he's stood clueless on the sidelines surely suggests plan A is not working and that he should be trying to change the approach to a match.

When we have failed to keep out the opposition in most games and he's stood clueless on the sidelines surely suggests plan A is not working and that he should be trying to change the approach to a match.

Odd, given that I often see him talking/shouting to players during the games I attend. I'm must admit I am not privvy to what he is saying though.

Odd, given that I often see him talking/shouting to players during the games I attend. I'm must admit I am not privvy to what he is saying though.

probably telling the to get back in their foxholes, don't wander from the trenches!!

Pardew has been granted too many persuasive justifications/excuses (Europa, injuries, losing a top scorer in January) for his true failings to be exposed this season. Next year, unless we have another injury meltdown (I am sure whatever happens it will be exaggerated) there will be little but the league position for Pardew to hang his hat on. I find it almost impossible to believe that Ashley will replace Pardew this summer, but it will be much easier next year when Pardew's excuses no longer exist (to the same degree) and he has a settled and well-built squad to draw from.

Whatever he's shouting / saying doesn't have much of an effect.  Maybe he's organising the half time sandwiches or meat draw.

Souness was an excellent shouter as well. And good at making excuses as well.

got me good for some reason

Pardew has been granted too many persuasive justifications/excuses (Europa, injuries, losing a top scorer in January) for his true failings to be exposed this season. Next year, unless we have another injury meltdown (I am sure whatever happens it will be exaggerated) there will be little but the league position for Pardew to hang his hat on. I find it almost impossible to believe that Ashley will replace Pardew this summer, but it will be much easier next year when Pardew's excuses no longer exist (to the same degree) and he has a settled and well-built squad to draw from.

then why sack a manager who will have us pushing for champions league?

Too many question marks developing over him for my liking.

He's been hit hard by injuries but the football he's served up this season has been by enlarge atrocious. Tactically we look inept, we're far too cautious/negative and I don't see much evidence of the expansive game he's talked about bringing in. A lot of the play has been hit and hope lacking any real flow, style or ideas. He's looked like a rabbit in headlights a lot of the time.

That said I'm prepared to give him next season or atleast the start of it to see what he does as some of the injuries this season have been ridiculous and he was hampered by a lack of signings in the summer. If it's the same old story though with a full deck of cards he'll have lost me. Plus unless it's absolutely horrendous I just can't see him being replaced by Ashley.

We'd go a long way if a new coach was appointed to freshen things up and provide some new impetus as he does have some good qualities with man management (HBA) but clearly is lacking knowledge wise - tactics etc. Wishful thinking though probably.

Problem is that if we funk up again next year and Pardew does get sacked it will be very difficult to hold on to our star players.

then why sack a manager who will have us pushing for champions league?

Because I think, and it seems like others feel the same, the season we finished 5th we did so with a disproportionately large number of poor performances (for a team that high up the table) and somewhat lucky results. I have lost confidence in Pardew's ability to infuse the squad - not just the mythical 1st XI that we never see, anyway - with a certain playing style that may help us win games when Cisse, Ba, Ben Arfa, or Cabaye are not hitting wonder shots. I respect Pardew for steadying the ship and for mostly creating a positive impression of the club in his interactions with the press. However, there appears to be a reason he has never really succeeded anywhere in the long term - no long term goal/approach to football (apart from being physical/hoofing)

Guest bimpy474

A reporter this morning said on Radio Newcastle that the press have been told off the record that Pardew is here unless we go down.

I think that is something anyone could have said and even guessed at to be fair.

As some have said on here, win the Europa League or not. If we have a poor start next season he will be in big trouble.