Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest palnese

The only thing that truly concerns me with him and the team would be the fitness levels of the players.  They all look knackered after 60 minutes.

The only thing? Really?

Guest bimpy474

I don't think we really sat back and invited attacks that much last night, other than what would normally be expected when a good team like Benfica are pushing for a goal.

I think people have that criticism prepared beforehand TBH, it's become something to post every time we don't dominate a game from start to finish.

The away results and performances have been a joke though. Of the 160 teams that make up the top 7 divisions in English football 156 have picked up more points away from home than us. The only teams who've picked up fewer points than us (8) are Droylsden (3), Hinckley (4) and Reading (5). Whatever his gameplans have been away from SJP it's gone horribly, horribly wrong more often than not. It's happened too often to be written off as a coincidence or a fluke. It's an atrocious stat.

We set up too defensively away from home, which is baffling as we can't defend very well, with us having the worst defence away from home in the Premiership would that point out.  What i don't get is why we seem more attacking in Europe, i just hope Pardew lets the players play the same way in the league now, without the errors of course.

style of football the oppo play more than likely, slower game and less pressure from the home team will lead to it being easier for us to play a more expansive game

I was thinking that myself but it can't just be so simple surely. Maybe when you play domestic games you are more guarded as you know those teams inside out. This all goes back to Pardew though, if his mindset is to be cautious and defensive then his team will reflect it.

After watching us play hoofball, set penises that are so poor it's become a joke, ridiculous comments in the media, a defence that is one of the worst in the league. And as Midds has pointed out, one of the worst away records in the country, even one of the four teams worse than us actually beat us at home.

I'm not sure how anyone can still want him here, i'm just unsure how far and how bad we have to be for the reality of his limitations to set in. And for some to realise that he is just a poor manager and coach.

Their defensive approach was totally wrong really. Sure, Cisse can be offside a lot, but they underestimated our ability to get behind them.

I guess they were never going to sit deeper at home.

Classic of a team not used to defending and wanting to win regardless of the score I thought. Not too dissimilar to piss poor defensive shows Arsenal and Man United turned in at home to us as they knew they could score more.

I don't think we really sat back and invited attacks that much last night, other than what would normally be expected when a good team like Benfica are pushing for a goal.

I think people have that criticism prepared beforehand TBH, it's become something to post every time we don't dominate a game from start to finish.

The away results and performances have been a joke though. Of the 160 teams that make up the top 7 divisions in English football 156 have picked up more points away from home than us. The only teams who've picked up fewer points than us (8) are Droylsden (3), Hinckley (4) and Reading (5). Whatever his gameplans have been away from SJP it's gone horribly, horribly wrong more often than not. It's happened too often to be written off as a coincidence or a fluke. It's an atrocious stat.

We set up too defensively away from home, which is baffling as we can't defend very well, with us having the worst defence away from home in the Premiership would that point out.  What i don't get is why we seem more attacking in Europe, i just hope Pardew lets the players play the same way in the league now, without the errors of course.

style of football the oppo play more than likely, slower game and less pressure from the home team will lead to it being easier for us to play a more expansive game

I was thinking that myself but it can't just be so simple surely. Maybe when you play domestic gamse you are more guarded as you know those teams inside out. This all goes back to Pardew though, if his mindset is to be cautious and defensive then his team will reflect it.

After watching us play hoofball, set penises that are so poor it's become a joke, ridiculous comments in the media, a defence that is one of the worst in the league. And as Midds has pointed out, one of the worst away records in the country, even one of the four teams worse than us actually beat us at home.

I'm not sure how anyone can still want him here, i'm just unsure how far and how bad we have to be for the reality of his limitations to set in. And for some to realise that he is just a poor manager and coach.

Well summed up, really beyond me how anyone can see any positives in Pardew being our manager.

Guest bimpy474

I was thinking that myself but it can't just be so simple surely. Maybe when you play domestic gamse you are more guarded as you know those teams inside out. This all goes back to Pardew though, if his mindset is to be cautious and defensive then his team will reflect it.

Well summed up, really beyond me how anyone can see any positives in Pardew being our manager.

I can see lots of positives in him, i really can. The players like him, Ben Arfa seems to genuinely really like him. As much as some of his comments annoy, on the whole his general talk in the mdiea is fine by me, and over analysed by us to be fair, taken out of context to the conversation they were in.

But in saying all that, it's the standard of the football, it's just horrible. The defending in general, the lack of forward play, the lack of possession football. The real lack of ideas all over the pitch.

I 100% don't mind being proven wrong by him but i think that will never ever happen as simply isn't good enough, he lacks a top managers know how.

I was thinking that myself but it can't just be so simple surely. Maybe when you play domestic games you are more guarded as you know those teams inside out. This all goes back to Pardew though, if his mindset is to be cautious and defensive then his team will reflect it.

good point

The lack of goals from set plays is a big marker of his shortcomings. How hard is it to sort out some imaginative/effective set pieces?

Surely you would look at the statistics of all the major leagues, see what teams are converting the highest proportion of their corners/set pieces and then scout them. See what could work with our personnel and give it a go. The greatest header of a ball in the modern premier league era is arguably Tim Cahill, now here's a guy whos a midgeet, who uses anticipation and intelligence to attack the ball at the right moment, using his team mates to draw away defenders. It can't be as hard as we make it look, to even be threatening from set pieces. 

The lack of goals from set plays is a big marker of his shortcomings. How hard is it to sort out some imaginative/effective set pieces?

Surely you would look at the statistics of all the major leagues, see what teams are converting the highest proportion of their corners/set pieces and then scout them. See what could work with our personnel and give it a go. The greatest header of a ball in the modern premier league era is arguably Tim Cahill, now here's a guy whos a midgeet, who uses anticipation and intelligence to attack the ball at the right moment, using his team mates to draw away defenders. It can't be as hard as we make it look, to even be threatening from set pieces. 

So can't he be bothered to do something like that?

Guest palnese

Better delivery from corners is a start. Add some movement in the box, and we'd look much better. The floated boall towards Saylor or Willo is hopeless.

Think he's too arrogant to do something like that, seems pretty set in his way tactically.

So can't he be bothered to do something like that?

The delivery is shite and only Taylor goes for the ball with any conviction regardless of where it ends up, it's no wonder we don't score often from set pieces. What is inexcusable from his behalf though as I have mentioned countless times before is that we don't vary it up. Take last nights match for e.g. Benfica were mixing it up - short, whipped and floated corners were all played. Albeit they didn't score but at least they gave the defence something to think about out of the ordinary.

The delivery is shite and only Taylor goes for the ball with any conviction regardless of where it ends up, it's no wonder we don't score often from set pieces. What is inexcusable from his behalf though as I have mentioned countless times before is that we don't vary it up. Take last nights match for e.g. Benfica were mixing it up - short, whipped and floated corners were all played. Albeit they didn't score but at least they gave the defence something to think about out of the ordinary.

The penalty was from a corner too wasn't it?

Some people need to see us coached by someone else before the penny drops.

Saw us 'coached' by Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Shearer. Quite happy to keep my penny in my pocket, thanks. :thup:

What can Pardew do about that? I mean he does them in training but what can he do if the players simply don't score from them/defend them properly in a match?

Some people need to see us coached by someone else better before the penny drops.

Yeah that's what I meant to say.

Stu - someone reasonably competent at coaching positive football will blow Pardew out of the water with these players. managers do it every week with players that aren't as good.

What can Pardew do about that? I mean he does them in training but what can he do if the players simply don't score from them/defend them properly in a match?

What can he do? How about his job :lol:

A coach can do plenty about set plays.

Guest palnese

Some people need to see us coached by someone else before the penny drops.

Saw us 'coached' by Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear and Shearer. Quite happy to keep my penny in my pocket, thanks. :thup:

Doubt any of them would be doing any worse with the current squad tbh.

What can he do? How about his job :lol:

:thup:

I was being sarcastic :lol: Just using the ridiculous line of reasoning that Pardews lovers

if they are going to call people Pardew "haters" :lol:

use to excuse a whole manner of his failings to show how absurd it is.

The penalty was from a corner too wasn't it?

Quite possibly, can't remember tbh and I sure as hell ain't watching it back again for fear of decimating the old work PC.

Guest bimpy474

I'm actually becoming convinced he's a good coach on the training field but a very poor manager.

I think of Brian Kidd who is regarded as a good coach but was ridiculously poor as a manager. Same with Chris Hutchings.