Alan Pardew

Dave

I do get the impression that some people have forgotten what watching truly s*** football every week is actually like. We haven't played it regularly for ages, and the football we play is still better than most teams in the division.

He doesn't have to explain away anything either, he has consistently delivered for nearly 2 years and has the support of just about everyone aside from a tiny tiny minority on the internet. The idea hes backpeddling in some way is ridiculous. Hes just making a statement which he believes to be true and almost certainly is.

And do you really think he stands in the dressing room and says "I want you to hoof it", so they go out and hoof it? And if he said "play beautiful passing football" they would go out and do that instead? 

We were quite a direct side for all of last season. I doubt there were more than 3 games where we won by playing effective passing football from start to finish, but when you look at the table at the end of the season it would be absolutely stupid to argue with his methods. This team has never shown any indication that they could regularly win by outpassing teams, either in a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2.

I'm not sure that the football we play is better than most teams in the division going off what we've played like so far and who we have or haven't played better than.  So far out best game hasn't even been in the league, it was against Bordeaux and that's the only game we've been comfortable in.

The players are clearly playing the way they've been told to play, if they weren't then Pardew as manager would do something about it, wouldn't he?  He’s either managing the players or he’s not, either way it’s a problem going off current results and performances.

Its not 9 out of 11 though.

Harper and Krul both have poor distribution - far worse than all the other 1st choice keepers in the top 6.

Williamson and Simpson are limited players all round. Williamson is incredibly uncomfortable with the ball at his feet for a Premier League player.

Jonas always has his head down when he has the ball. Tiote can't play incisive passes to save his life. Nothing Pardew said to either of them would change that.

Thats more than half the players on the pitch who have to get the ball up to Ba and Cisse, and neither of those 2 have shown a huge amount in terms of link up play.

I'm not saying all those players are s*** btw. They can all be effective to varying degrees, but as a side passing is certainly not a strength, and that wouldn't change with a different manager. If Pardew told them to spray it around Swansea I don't think we'd have been as effective as a team last year. He gets the maximum out of the players we have, which is why we finished 5th last year, and as usual he is spot on with his comments.

Tiote did a canny impression of somebody who could play an incisive pass against Reading when he set Ba up for the first, so maybe Pardew only has to say "do it again."

Well that one pass proves me wrong then, Tiote's the next Iniesta.

Maybe is instructed to keep it short?

Sick of people having a go at Williamson and Simpson like. Watch how often Cabaye, Tiote, Bigirimana and Krul all wallop it long. That's how we play. He likes the ball to be in dangerous areas as soon as possible.

Both of them played every game of our successful 4-3-3 run without somehow affecting the midfield, and it was only a few weeks ago everyone was telling me that Simpson had to be replaced by Perch so we could start playing. What happened there then? Oh yeah, Williamson has been playing, that's why we can't create a chance for our forwards. :rolleyes:

I was having a go at Williamson and Simpson earlier on in this thread. I do agree with you though. It's more down to the instructions than the players. However, I think we could find a right-back more comfortable in possession than Simpson. The general mentality and style is not down to these particular individuals. Pardew is pretty much hinting that their lack of ability on the ball is the reason behind our long-ball game, which is another way of trying to explain our s*** football from a man doing more talking than walking at the minute.

I do get the impression that some people have forgotten what watching truly s*** football every week is actually like. We haven't played it regularly for ages, and the football we play is still better than most teams in the division.

He doesn't have to explain away anything either, he has consistently delivered for nearly 2 years and has the support of just about everyone aside from a tiny tiny minority on the internet. The idea hes backpeddling in some way is ridiculous. Hes just making a statement which he believes to be true and almost certainly is.

And do you really think he stands in the dressing room and says "I want you to hoof it", so they go out and hoof it? And if he said "play beautiful passing football" they would go out and do that instead? 

We were quite a direct side for all of last season. I doubt there were more than 3 games where we won by playing effective passing football from start to finish, but when you look at the table at the end of the season it would be absolutely stupid to argue with his methods. This team has never shown any indication that they could regularly win by outpassing teams, either in a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2.

We've shown reluctance to keep the ball for big spells of his time at Newcastle. There were periods during last season when we were good at it, but during long spells (after the 0-3 loss to Chelsea up until the 2nd half of the home derby) we played some awful stuff. In my opinion, hoofing is shit football. Constantly bypassing a midfield consisting Cabaye and Ben Arfa is almost criminal. It's not good to watch at all. Some of our results in that period was mainly down to Coloccini and Krul playing some fantastic stuff. Blackburn away is the most prime example, we were battered blue.

I think many teams play better football than us so far this season. Reading certainly did it. When I've watched West Ham, even they have been able to play it out from the back a lot more than we do.

Pardew seems to be traumatised by certain games. I've always thought that Chelsea game made him revert to route-one tactics because we were hurt in it. The same goes for us famously "letting our hair down" at Tottenham. Going to Arsenal a few weeks later, Tim Krul did nothing but launch it for 90 mins. It's Pardew's view that we should mess about with the ball around our own penalty area, but rather whack it long in order to get out of trouble. It's the core of our perceived inability to keep position and it's the foundation of what I labelled as shit football. It derives from the players' confidence in their own ability and the manager's confidence in the players' abilities. 

Bit of a shame that it's the away derby this weekend as we may well have an almost full squad to pick from. That along with being "bedded in" by now would give us a better platform to start playing our stuff. Of course playing a team who will be under instructions to kick us off the park and intimidate the referee at every opportunity will mean it will not be a normal performance on Sunday.

I always thought we'd have a stuttering start due to difficult fixtures/Europe/International breaks etc, but that if we're around mid table come November that will be fine and we'll take off from there.

recent interview im not sure what to make of this, is he comparing himself to Fat Sam and his style of football,  im not sure if we should be worried or not.

“I’m from a council estate, and I’m a working class person – I understand what they want,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“I understand that they want not just a winning team, but a team to play the right manner. I don’t want to ignore that.”

Pardew sees similarities between Newcastle and his former club West Ham United, where Sam Allardyce – who had an uncomfortable time at St James’s Park – is facing the same kind of criticism he had on Tyneside given the club’s own footballing traditions.

“It’s the same at West Ham,” added Pardew. “Sam Allardyce is coming under the same criticism he had here because there is a style element to these clubs.”

Pardew guided West Ham to a FA Cup final, and his time in East London helped prepare him for the biggest job of his career.

“Definitely, my experience at West Ham has helped me with this club, more so than every other club I’ve been at,” he said.

“Although there are less West Ham fans in terms of volume, the passion’s very similar.

http://www.peterleestar.co.uk/sport/football/round-up/my-working-class-roots-define-my-football-philosophy-pardew-1-5038536

recent interview im not sure what to make of this, is he comparing himself to Fat Sam and his style of football,  im not sure if we should be worried or not.

“I’m from a council estate, and I’m a working class person – I understand what they want,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“I understand that they want not just a winning team, but a team to play the right manner. I don’t want to ignore that.”

Pardew sees similarities between Newcastle and his former club West Ham United, where Sam Allardyce – who had an uncomfortable time at St James’s Park – is facing the same kind of criticism he had on Tyneside given the club’s own footballing traditions.

“It’s the same at West Ham,” added Pardew. “Sam Allardyce is coming under the same criticism he had here because there is a style element to these clubs.”

Pardew guided West Ham to a FA Cup final, and his time in East London helped prepare him for the biggest job of his career.

“Definitely, my experience at West Ham has helped me with this club, more so than every other club I’ve been at,” he said.

“Although there are less West Ham fans in terms of volume, the passion’s very similar.

http://www.peterleestar.co.uk/sport/football/round-up/my-working-class-roots-define-my-football-philosophy-pardew-1-5038536

Seems more like he try to differentiate himself from him tbh.

He's saying Alladyce style is shit and wants us to play 'the right' way.

No.

Read it again. But, this time, use your eyes.

what does pardew mean by this?

we're playing similar football to fat sam's style at west ham and getting stick from fans, no?

maybe im misinterpretating this

Guest icemanblue

No.

we're playing similar football to fat sam's style at west ham and getting stick from fans, no?

He means Allardyce is getting stick at West Ham, like he did here, for being fat charlatan cunt.

No.

He means Allardyce is getting stick at West Ham, like he did here, for being fat charlatan c***.

lol ok thanks mate. i think your right, i did read it wrong there.

Guest icemanblue

No.

He means Allardyce is getting stick at West Ham, like he did here, for being fat charlatan c***.

lol ok thanks mate. i think your right, i did read it wrong there.

:lol: No worries.

He keeps on saying this stuff though and it doesn't seem to happen.  More action, fewer words please.

at least he is aware and will adress it...slowly.

Very very positive. need to change style or we will never succeed over a longer period.

and i also believe we already have the players for this.

Never quite sure where the whole "NUFC have a tradition of playing good football" comes from.

Certainly under KK we did and at times played great stuff under Bobby. Other than that though its hardly decades if Brazil 1970 stuff.

Never quite sure where the whole "NUFC have a tradition of playing good football" comes from.

Certainly under KK we did and at times played great stuff under Bobby. Other than that though its hardly decades if Brazil 1970 stuff.

not surprising when you employ successions of inadequate turds such as souness, roeder, jfk and fat sam.

West Ham and Newcastle are both clubs where supposedly most of the fans like to see 'proper' football i.e. largely played on the deck.

WHU fans have even been singing "We're West Ham United, we play on the floor"