Alan Pardew

Dave

I'd hope for something like:

0-10 minutes: Press high, pass the ball with clear attacking intent, high tempo, try and force as many chances as possible.

10-45 minutes (if still 0-0 after that): Keep it tight and hope to break them down.

Where do you think we should keep it tight?

I'd hope for something like:

0-10 minutes: Press high, pass the ball with clear attacking intent, high tempo, try and force as many chances as possible.

10-45 minutes (if still 0-0 after that): Keep it tight and hope to break them down.

Where do you think we should keep it tight?

I mean I hope we come out 'gung-ho', but don't maintain that intensity if we haven't scored. Benfica have players to hit us on the break, and failing that, they could exploit tired legs late on if we've gone hell-for-leather for the whole game.

Start the game pumped, but be sensible and rein it in when the situation requires it. There needs to be an element of caution because the opposition are so dangerous going forward.

Patience has bore fruit in the Chelsea, Anzhi, Stoke and Wigan home games.

We never go gung-ho under Pardew so I don't really know why he needs to clarify that. :laugh:

He's not wrong, but we need to take the game to them. You can score at any time of a match, not just the end.

I mean I hope we come out 'gung-ho', but don't maintain that intensity if we haven't scored. Benfica have players to hit us on the break, and failing that, they could exploit tired legs late on if we've gone hell-for-leather for the whole game.

Start the game pumped, but be sensible and rein it in when the situation requires it. There needs to be an element of caution because the opposition are so dangerous going forward.

Patience has bore fruit in the Chelsea, Anzhi, Stoke and Wigan home games.

I think we've had too much football lately to go too daft, I just hope we're going to put them under pressure from the off and not try to sit back at any time.

"They need to understand on Thursday that if we think we can go gung-ho against Benfica they'll just pick us off and we'll be chasing shadows. We need to be very intelligent on Thursday, play our way into the game and try and get a goal in that first half.

If we can get a goal ahead with twenty minutes to go I think we can do it and that's the position we've got to try and get to. We've got to do that in the right way and we could have one of the greatest weeks in the club's current history if we can do that."

Sorry if these have been mentioned. He loves that 70 minute mark.

:lol: Fucking hell, he really knows how to suck the life out of any situation.

Fair enough, he's in charge and I hope to God whatever we try on Thursday works but he doesn't half make it sound like we're petrified in the run-up to games.

Benfica's defense was s***. They're there for the taking, and either they had a relatively bad day in front of goal despite the 3-1 scoreline, or they are actually lacking in terms of being clinical (we gifted them two very easy goals, whilst they wasted about a dozen half-chances or promising situations), which hopefully means they'll not be as big a threat on the counter. I think we can do this, as long as we go at them from the start.

As for Pardew....meh. Limited manager who is having us play more like a lower league side in a televised FA Cup tie at home to a Premiership side than a slick, cohesive team littered with some very talented individuals. Even the type of "attacking" football is similar to what you'd see at the top ends of the lower leagues in terms of being very basic in the approach play, albeit with far better players [being wasted in the process].

In a way, Pardew is like the managerial equivalent of Kevin "can't sell him, 11 Premiership goals" Nolan - he has some good traits, has served us well for a specific period of time, but now the team has moved on and his deficiencies are holding us back. We'd really do well to go out and get an upgrade more suited to this squad - the equivalent of replacing Nolan with Cabaye, which in managerial terms would be getting someone in who is good at coaching, or overseeing the coaching of, the squad into passing, moving, and attacking better as a unit. Or if we don't get rid of Pardew, at the very least we need to bring someone in to genuinely help him and give him an earful when he decides to do something stupid (like last season when for no reason we switched away from a super successful 4-3-3). Maybe Pardew is just a Brian Clough who hasn't found his Peter Taylor yet?

On that note, maybe it's John Carver who isn't doing his job well?

"They need to understand on Thursday that if we think we can go gung-ho against Benfica they'll just pick us off and we'll be chasing shadows. We need to be very intelligent on Thursday, play our way into the game and try and get a goal in that first half.

If we can get a goal ahead with twenty minutes to go I think we can do it and that's the position we've got to try and get to. We've got to do that in the right way and we could have one of the greatest weeks in the club's current history if we can do that."

Ahh ok nice one, let's 'play our way into' it Alan. They only need one goal for fucks sake, they'll have it before we've played our way in and there'll be no way back. If we score first I'd fancy us to go through, that should be the priority.

Good point about Carver. Definitely think he's a weak link. Either not a very good coach and/or too much of a yes man to work effectively with Pardew.

You definitely shouldn't be given an 8 year contract if you're part of the backroom staff. I'm sure Pardew would agree, as it limits his options as well. Things will, if they haven't already, become stale long before those contracts are up.

:lol: f***ing hell, he really knows how to suck the life out of any situation.

Fair enough, he's in charge and I hope to God whatever we try on Thursday works but he doesn't half make it sound like we're petrified in the run-up to games.

Its every game.

Guest bimpy474

Good point about Carver. Definitely think he's a weak link. Either not a very good coach and/or too much of a yes man to work effectively with Pardew.

You definitely shouldn't be given an 8 year contract if you're part of the backroom staff. I'm sure Pardew would agree, as it limits his options as well. Things will, if they haven't already, become stale long before those contracts are up.

Yet Carver was our assistant manager under Sir Bobby......admittedly Sir Bobby was vastly superior manager but i would have thought if Carver was a weak link, Sir Bobby wouldn't have had him as his numer two.

Fwiw.

Yet Carver was our assistant manager under Sir Bobby......admittedly Sir Bobby was vastly superior manager but i would have thought if Carver was a weak link, Sir Bobby wouldn't have had him as his numer two.

Fwiw.

Whoever's responsible for the attacking play in training is very obviously a weak link, tbh. Carver's a Terry Mac type you'd think. We need an attacking coach, no doubt.

Guest bimpy474

Fwiw.

Whoever's responsible for the attacking play in training is very obviously a weak link, tbh. Carver's a Terry Mac type you'd think. We need an attacking coach, no doubt.

Oh yeah, but do you think Sir Bobby had zero input to our attacking play if that was say Carvers job under Sir Bobby, we were great going forward then.

I think it's more down to all of them, not just Carver, not just Pardew, who should shoulder most of the blame as he is our manager. And if he has given the task of our attacking play to Carver as we seem to think, then christ why hasn't he taken that job off him. Collective responsibility with Pardew at the fore as manager for me.

Oh absolutely. I just meant that if Pardew is to stay we badly need someone to fill that massive void that exists, mainly due to his inability to set us up to attack teams. That's before we even go into the problem with set-pieces.

Whoever it is should be asking for more than 1 day a week, not that they should have to.

I think I know what he means. It's important to reach that 70 minute mark with something still left in the tank, rather than blown out. It's in the final quarter that most opportunities arise.

Guest bimpy474

Also does Fergie, Wenger, Jose, Benitez, Guardiola, Mancini, Moyes and every other manager for that matter have an attacking coach. Of course they dont.

Because football isn't FM 2013, they sometimes have finishing, crossing etc coaches. Attacking coach is pie in the sky thinking.

We want attacking football then we need a different manager, it really is that simple.

Guest bimpy474

Oh absolutely. I just meant that if Pardew is to stay we badly need someone to fill that massive void that exists, mainly due to his inability to set us up to attack teams. That's before we even go into the problem with set-pieces.

Set piece coach, if only :(

Guest bimpy474

The FM references are lost on me, like.

You can have, attacking coaches, man management, defensive, youth potential coach etc....nonsense fluff stuff.

Also does Fergie, Wenger, Jose, Benitez, Guardiola, Mancini, Moyes and every other manager for that matter have an attacking coach. Of course they dont.

Because football isn't FM 2013, they sometimes have finishing, crossing etc coaches. Attacking coach is pie in the sky thinking.

We want attacking football then we need a different manager, it really is that simple.

I don't reckon getting in some magic attacking coach will fix everything either, you attack and defend as a team and to be as good we hope to be you have to be able to do that.

Guest bimpy474

I don't reckon getting in some magic attacking coach will fix everything either, you attack and defend as a team and to be as good we hope to be you have to be able to do that.

The manager is the one who dicates our play, tactics and mindset. The other coaches fine tune and advise him if he ask them. That's how i see it. Pardew isn't an attacking coach, isn't a possession football coach.

That makes him no good in my book if we want to see good football, i hope he turns it around in that respect, and maybe having an extra coach of some sort, may well help that. Seriously doubt it though.