Alan Pardew

Dave

I cannot help but feel we have peaked under his stewardship. 5th Place in the League and Quarter Finals of the European Cup. What represents progress now?

I don't think progress necessarily means you always finish higher than any time in the past. Finishing top 6 again would be class IMO.

A cup is what everyone wants, lets just win the FA Cup.

About right, may i add, acheiving it with some decent football, with possession and nice passing.

I would like to see him have a bit more belief in his players. 2 and a half seasons under his belt may even lead him to relax a little bit more and perhaps he may even abandon some of his stifling pragmatism.

True as well, I'm hoping this season's bad results and fear of relegation have combined with injuries to exaggerate Pardew's natural conservativeness. A fresh season, a good start and I hope he'll have faith in our talent to go out and play better.

Guest bimpy474

I cannot help but feel we have peaked under his stewardship. 5th Place in the League and Quarter Finals of the European Cup. What represents progress now?

I don't think progress necessarily means you always finish higher than any time in the past. Finishing top 6 again would be class IMO.

About right, may i add, acheiving it with some decent football, with possession and nice passing.

I would like to see him have a bit more belief in his players. 2 and a half seasons under his belt may even lead him to relax a little bit more and perhaps he may even abandon some of his stifling pragmatism.

Me too but i just don't see where him letting loose will come from. I think he's proved he's a cautious, generally negative coach. As for attacking....there simply is no plan, no system.

I have serious doubts he can turn us into a cohesive attacking unit, in fact i dont think he can as imo he isn't good enough, hope he does if he's charge of course.

Guest bimpy474

Yep, all I really want from NUFC is to deliver some entertainment and some memorable moments. If that happens enough during a season I'm happy. 5th vs 7th or whatever I'm not so bothered about.

League wise i think top 8 is about right, i just hope we show better in the domestic cups because under him it's generally been quite embarrassing, in terms of results and performances.

Me too but i just don't see where him letting loose will come from. I think he's proved he's a cautious, generally negative coach. As for attacking....there simply is no plan, no system.

I have serious doubts he can turn us into a cohesive attacking unit, in fact i dont think he can as imo he isn't good enough, hope he does if he's charge of course.

Particularly concerning last night was McClaren and Coleman's ability to notice the huge problems our team had containing Benfica in that first half. I wouldn't want these two anywhere near our team but it was glaringly obvious what was going wrong, even to those turds.

Guest bimpy474

Particularly concerning last night was McClaren and Coleman's ability to notice the huge problems our team had containing Benfica in that first half. I wouldn't want these two anywhere near our team but it was glaringly obvious what was going wrong, even to those turds.

I think one of our main problems all season has been our inability to keep the ball, what would have helped last night was ball retension. Now Pardew's insistance on hoofing any free kick near the halfway line really doesn't help. I just can't see how he will go from that kind of coach to a ball retention, passing/movment, attacking football coach and those on here who think it'll happen next season are fooling themselves imo.

Anyhow, I really hope we tear into them from the off for 90 minutes on Sunday. The last 20 yesterday reminded me of us in a bygone age, under KK or SBR, and as brief as it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the feeling that I'd forgotten existed.

Guest bimpy474

Anyhow, I really hope we tear into them from the off for 90 minutes on Sunday. The last 20 yesterday reminded me of us in a bygone age, under KK or SBR, and as brief as it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the feeling that I'd forgotten existed.

That's what frustrates me, it's in there with Pardew, even as critical as i am with him i think it's in there. But he is so reluctant to let us play a more attacking game. Either he's to reserved to let the team go and attack or really does lack the ability to do for more than 20 minutes chasing a game, when it's more natural to throw players forward.

That's what frustrates me, it's in there with Pardew, even as critical as i am with him i think it's in there. But he is so reluctant to let us play a more attacking game. Either he's to reserved to let the team go and attack or really does lack the ability to do for more than 20 minutes chasing a game, when it's more natural to throw players forward.

Yet people in here suggesting it only worked because we'd lulled them into a false sense of security, despite Pardew saying before the match to all and sundry, that this is how we were going to go about it. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

Yet people in here suggesting it only worked because we'd lulled them into a false sense of security, despite Pardew saying before the match to all and sundry, that this is how we were going to go about it. :lol:

Very true, he said exactly the same about the Brighton FA cup game this season. Tbh honest this really does seem his default tactic most of the time.

Yep. When Marveaux followed Ben Arfa onto the pitch and they both started running at their defenders with murderous intent the hairs were up on the back of my neck.

Guest Howaythetoon

I love Pardew's logic. He really expected his team to score twice in 20 minutes to win a tie that by that point will have saw his side score only once in 160 minutes? What the fuck made him believe they could do it? Which they didn't.

That first 45 minutes was embarrassing and put a whole downer on a huge crowd with big hopes for a great night. As it stood we ended up with a decent 10 minute spell later on where we scored and that was it.

No-one wanted us to go gung-ho btw, you don't have to be so open to score goals or to get at a team, you can attack a side without being reckless. Only Pardew doesn't trust his side to do that or doesn't have the skills to set his side up that way. He went for the ever so predictable and totally counter productive cautious containment game, against a side who whisper it quietly, actually came here to do the exact fucking same :lol: You couldn't make it up.

I'm staggered how anyone can say he got it right, we were fucking knocked out. We needed two goals and had 90 minutes to get it and only for a 10 minute spell did we actually err, go for it.

The man is a coward, a fucking charlatan. I wouldn't even say the run was good while it lasted either because to be frank, we've been ordinary throughout the competition.

In that 10 minute spell we showed that we could score goals and cause them all kinds of problems which is what we did in the away leg. So why do fuck all for the entire first half and only really go for it for a 10 minute spell?

We played right into their hands. They would have been expecting us to throw everything at them which is why they came here to contain in the hope of hitting us to grab an away goal. We did nothing which made it very comfortable for them, so comfortable they started taking the game to us.

And I'm fucking sick of seeing our most creative player outside of Ben Arfa spending most of the game on top of our own box or kicking the opposition, such a waste of a player. But he's our quarter-back. Fuck off Alan.

Thsoe who constantly trot out excuse after excuse deserve to be watching this shit and seeing us under perform. Me, I want better, I expect better, because we are better than this.

Benfica are not a great team either, they are pleasing on the eye with some decent players but they are not some kind of superior outfit. Their defence is fucking worse than ours when attacked. If only we did it more tha  once or twice in a 10  minute spell.

Going by Pardew's logic, there's more chance of us scoring 2 goals during 70-90 mins than there is,

Compared to scoring 2 goals during a full 0-90 mins.

Strange man.

ridiculous, he stated theres more chance of the opponents scoring in that 70 mins if you attack them, simple fact, and in this scenario that would have ended the game by half time. People are just making things up. :lol:

Getting rid of him.

Going by Pardew's logic, there's more chance of us scoring 2 goals during 70-90 mins than there is,

Strange man.

ridiculous, he stated theres more chance of the opponents scoring in that 70 mins if you attack them, simple fact, and in this scenario that would have ended the game by half time. People are just making things up. :lol:

This.

I love Pardew's logic. He really expected his team to score twice in 20 minutes to win a tie that by that point will have saw his side score only once in 160 minutes? What the fuck made him believe they could do it? Which they didn't.

That first 45 minutes was embarrassing and put a whole downer on a huge crowd with big hopes for a great night. As it stood we ended up with a decent 10 minute spell later on where we scored and that was it.

No-one wanted us to go gung-ho btw, you don't have to be so open to score goals or to get at a team, you can attack a side without being reckless. Only Pardew doesn't trust his side to do that or doesn't have the skills to set his side up that way. He went for the ever so predictable and totally counter productive cautious containment game, against a side who whisper it quietly, actually came here to do the exact fucking same :lol: You couldn't make it up.

I'm staggered how anyone can say he got it right, we were fucking knocked out. We needed two goals and had 90 minutes to get it and only for a 10 minute spell did we actually err, go for it.

The man is a coward, a fucking charlatan. I wouldn't even say the run was good while it lasted either because to be frank, we've been ordinary throughout the competition.

In that 10 minute spell we showed that we could score goals and cause them all kinds of problems which is what we did in the away leg. So why do fuck all for the entire first half and only really go for it for a 10 minute spell?

We played right into their hands. They would have been expecting us to throw everything at them which is why they came here to contain in the hope of hitting us to grab an away goal. We did nothing which made it very comfortable for them, so comfortable they started taking the game to us.

And I'm fucking sick of seeing our most creative player outside of Ben Arfa spending most of the game on top of our own box or kicking the opposition, such a waste of a player. But he's our quarter-back. Fuck off Alan.

Thsoe who constantly trot out excuse after excuse deserve to be watching this shit and seeing us under perform. Me, I want better, I expect better, because we are better than this.

Benfica are not a great team either, they are pleasing on the eye with some decent players but they are not some kind of superior outfit. Their defence is fucking worse than ours when attacked. If only we did it more tha  once or twice in a 10  minute spell.

Completely agree. We scrapped through. There was not one point during the tournament where we looked like contenders.

I don't know what Pardew has or hasn't said but that really is a one sided outlook.  Can the opponents not score after the 70th minute?

As it was the game was over when they scored because we had absolutely no chance of scoring twice in the remaining time.  That wouldn't have been the case if they'd scored during the first 70 minutes.  It would have been a tough ask but it was a possibility that we could have come back, we didn't have that option later on.

I don't know what Pardew has or hasn't said but that really is a one sided outlook.  Can the opponents not score after the 70th minute?

As it was the game was over when they scored because we had absolutely no chance of scoring twice in the remaining time.  That wouldn't have been the case if they'd scored during the first 70 minutes.  It would have been a tough ask but it was a possibility that we could have come back, we didn't have that option later on.

you actually realy think we could attack like the last twenty mins for a full 90? seriously ?

edit- almost every pro ive heard today say this tactic was the correct approach btw. of course you disagree with them all simply because you dont like the manager.

Strange man.

Lol he stated therefore you believed him.  Salesman Pardew does it again.

Ridiculous how they scored all 3 goals in the first 70th mins of the first leg. 

And how many goals have we conceded in the first half this season?

Strange man.

This.

Re your point of if HBA had scored that shot-

Some of us here have been saying for a while that we can't keep-on relying on individual brilliance to get us out of jail. Last night showed exactly why.

And yet you were satisfied enough?

As HTT said, some of those that are making these pathetic excuses deserve the shit that have been thrown at their faces this season.

Guest bimpy474

Why is it so difficult to believe we could have been a little more attacking without it being reckless in the first hour or so.

The narrow minded thinking here is mental.