Alan Pardew

Dave

To be honest, one of the only half decent sides we played against under Keegan, we went 3-0 up and whether it was the players or himself, we were naive and didn't see the 90 minutes out which cost us.

So Pardew's better than Keegan then :lol:

I remember we were 3-2 down against Ferencvaros after the away leg of a european tie all those years ago under Keegan.  At SJP he sent out a team that included Gillespie, Ginola, Beardsley, Asprilla, Lee and Ferdinand and tore them to pieces.  Pretty much a front 6 putting us on the front foot and getting at them.

Night and day in their approaches.

Yeah, I realise it's not a perfect comparison by any means, it's just a handy reflection of the differences in philosophy.  I can't think of too many games under Pards when we've really gone out to get at the opposition and make them worry about us.

Pardew seems to focus on stopping the opposition first and having a go at them second whereas under KK and Bobby it was the other way around.  Maybe once he does have a few more attacking options he'll switch to a more adventurous style but i'm not confident he'll change after this long.

Keegan could have went to a big club after us IMO, no reason why he couldn't have ended up at Liverpool or wherever.  He was England manager after us, when it was the one of the biggest jobs in the country.

:anguish:

On a serious note, wasn't his next job Fulham in division two?

To be honest, one of the only half decent sides we played against under Keegan, we went 3-0 up and whether it was the players or himself, we were naive and didn't see the 90 minutes out which cost us.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I apologise. I went all Inochi on you there.

I just think bringing Keegan into it is ill advised and has absolutely no relevance at all to what is being discussed.

Keegan could have went to a big club after us IMO, no reason why he couldn't have ended up at Liverpool or wherever.  He was England manager after us, when it was the one of the biggest jobs in the country.

What's your problem?

I apologise. I went all Inochi on you there.

I just think bringing Keegan into it is ill advised and has absolutely no relevance at all to what is being discussed.

It's in response to the posts like, "If Keegan was in charge we'd never have done that". etc.

What's your problem?

It was a question, think Mojorisin answered above :thup:

What's your problem?

It was a question, think Mojorisin answered above :thup:

Haha whatever, fucking hell.

Watched 70 minutes of bilge to add to the hundreds and thousands and minutes of bilge I've watched this season, a normal person would understand that frustation - however you're not a normal person, you're a very strange person who feels the need to feel superior to people at every opportunity.

I've got no desire to feel less or more superior than anyone else, so I'm not sure how you've gleamed that from my guff; I'm surprised that someone like yourself would have an issue with people being different from each other. It'd make for a very grey board if we were all sheep.

I'd love for us to play exciting, attacking, vibrant football that wins us trophies and plaudits.

However, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

If we're going to have a period of cutting our cloth accordingly, I don't see why we need to make a song and dance about it every time we don't play cutting edge football.

Stu, care to expand on the bits in bold, such as why you think we can't play attacking, passing football with the players we have in the squad (regardless of injuries)?

clearly i'm in the "pardew doesn't know how to coach it" camp but if it's something you yearn for, yet still retain some hope for pardew, you must think something else is holding us back

again genuine question, not looking for a bite or anything

Stu fancy throwing an answer at this, as i said honestly interested in your viewpoint

In the end this is football guys you will never win if you don't try to score goals. It's really as simple as that. Pardew tries to go for the draw way to many times. From now on we have nothing to lose, why not just let the team play offensive football for 5 games and see how that pans out? Maybe we'll beat everyone by three goals?

I have to much faith in the abilities of Siss, Cabaye, Debuch, Ben Arfa, Gouffran, Cisse, Marv offensively to believe we can't outplay 75% of the teams in the league. It's time for Pardew to stop being a defensive coward and go for it.

Tim Krul

Fabricio Coloccini

Davide Santon

Yohan Cabaye

Moussa Sissoko

Vurnon Anita

Papiss Demba Cissé

Hatem Ben Arfa

Yoan Gouffran

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

James Perch

Jonas Gutierrez

Massadio Haidara

Gael Bigirimana

Rob Elliot

Sylvain Marveaux

Foluwashola Ameobi

Cheick Tiote

Mathieu Debuchy

Steven Vincent Taylor

Adam Campbell

21 players inc. shola just 'cause he's a striker, cut out some of those i'd let go

the point being i agree with IP

Tim Krul

Fabricio Coloccini

Davide Santon

Yohan Cabaye

Moussa Sissoko

Vurnon Anita

Papiss Demba Cissé

Hatem Ben Arfa

Yoan Gouffran

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

James Perch

Jonas Gutierrez

Massadio Haidara

Gael Bigirimana

Rob Elliot

Sylvain Marveaux

Foluwashola Ameobi

Cheick Tiote

Mathieu Debuchy

Steven Vincent Taylor

Adam Campbell

21 players inc. shola just 'cause he's a striker, cut out some of those i'd let go

the point being i agree with IP

pretty sure you could do that with other squadx for example though, never said we had 18 purple players just that our 18 is a match for anyone outside the top 5

There's 13 who any team outside the top5 would be in contention to start imo. Marveux and Anita need another season before we can really see if they are in regular contention/perform. Broadly agree with you, there is a fair spread of internationals. Think it's fair to add that before the Jan window Pards was having to start PL games often with only 5/6 Purples.

I think within footballing circles keegan was seen as being too high maintainance.