Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, eg if a player:

uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee etc. in order to circumvent the Law

Should have been an indirect freekick and a booking. :lol:

That rule is ridiculously vague.

So all heading back to the keeper is illegal? Stupid rule, glad no one enforces it (but probably will now)

Allegedly it's fine if the ball is in a 'natural' position, like a normal header or chest. Getting down like Taylor did is apparently unsportsmanlike because ordinarily he'd have kicked a ball on the deck. :laugh:

Guest salmon

Thats the rule in question-

uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of the Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick.

although I feel this applies to when a player flicks the ball up into the air and heads it back to the keeper, and even that isn't punished. I think it was the Dutch national team that didn't like the backpass rule when it was introduced so they would kneel on the ball so the keeper could pick it up, and then this clause was added.

Guest firetotheworks

If that's the case then the same should have happened to Assou-Ekotto when he chipped it up for himself and then headed it back to Friedel during the 5-0 loss.

I can't imagine referees going with that rule unless FIFA start making a big deal of it. Which, I can't see happening unless England, or an English team somehow benefit from it.

Thats the rule in question-

uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play to pass the ball to his own goalkeeper with his head, chest, knee, etc. in order to circumvent the Law, irrespective of whether the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is committed by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of the Law 12 and play is restarted with an indirect free kick.

although I feel this applies to when a player flicks the ball up into the air and heads it back to the keeper, and even that isn't punished. I think it was the Dutch national team that didn't like the backpass rule when it was introduced so they would kneel on the ball so the keeper could pick it up, and then this clause was added.

It's not a trick to kneel on the ground, unless you are a pretty basic person.

But Saylor didn't get down on his hands/knees just so that he could head the ball to Krul.

He was down on his knees because he slipped stopping the ball.......then he headed the ball the Krul.

No deception or trick play there.

The rule says that the keeper cannot handle a ball that was deliberately played to them by a team mate.  So it's about intent, and the referee has to determine the intent of how the ball was played to the keeper.  Was the player under pressure? Did he need help from the keeper because of pressure on the ball? Did the player have an alternative play to make but chose to pass to the keeper?  You have to answer YES to those type of questions for it to be considered a "back pass"