Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

just watching motd

villas boas: "we showed that we had the better team"

:serious:

:lol: Was watching his post-match interview and he seemed to be saying they played well in the 2nd half. Apart from the goal which was given to them on a plate, did they actually have any sort of actual chance? Can't remember Krul having anything else to do, at all.

Krul 7  - best save was from the Gylfi offside and couldn't do much more with the goal.

Simpson 7 - Wew here turns out he's not the worst player ever

Santon 6 - pretty poor for the goal but some enterprising moves going forward

Saylor 7 - good return, solid.

Perch 7 - played pretty well

Cabaye 5 - didn't look fit

Tiote 5 - shocking on the ball but tenacious in the tackle

(Anita) 6 - looked bright

Jonas 7 - dependable as ever

HBA 8 - game changer

Ba 7 - worked his socks off and what a goal

Cisse 5 - worked hard but didn't really contribute

We were really sloppy in possession in the first half. The ball never stuck to the strikers and none of our midfielders, with the exception of Ben Arfa, could complete more than two passes in a row. Honestly, if we were down 2-0 at HT, I don't think any of us would have any reason to complain.

The second half was much different. Tiote played better, Ba got more involved and Cisse even got a few touches. We started playing the game more in their half and then they goal relaxed us. It probably relaxed us too much but we played much better in the second half.

I thought, on the whole, they were the better team. Their passing is slicker, their movement better and they created far more good chances than we did. It was a mirror of many of our matches last season, except this time we did it against a very good team. We took our chances and defended well at the end, much like last season. Its great knowing we don't get nervous defending leads in the last minutes anymore. We didn't drop back too deep and there weren't any nervy moments at the end. Such a change from five years ago.

I'm really confident in our team this year. I think we'll challenge for 4th and I think that if we can play like we did in the second half, we'll beat most teams at home this year and we'll do well against most sides away from home, too.

had that chance where they were wrongly called offside, timmy had it covered anyway, hit the post, hit the bar :lol: aye they had a couple of chances

Meant the 2nd half. Unlucky how they weren't ahead in the 1st half but after that their responses to the goals were fairly pitiful. Certainly not that of a side who are going for the top 4.

Encouraging that we can be well below par and still pick up 3 points against a good team. Defoe was a handful and we dealt with him pretty well. Bale looked a threat in glimpses but the most consistent threat was probably Lennon and in the 2nd half we dealt with that better.

Cabaye, Tiote and Cisse all looking off the pace a bit which is understandable, makes Tiote's performance all the better, he put in hell of a shift and was running on nothing for the last 10 minutes yet was still looking for a team mate rather than kick it as high up the pitch as possible. That game would have done the 3 of them wonders in terms of match sharpness, I imagine all will sit out Thursday. Then on to a tough game against Chelsea, no reason to fear them though.

just watching motd

villas boas: "we showed that we had the better team"

:serious:

:lol: Was watching his post-match interview and he seemed to be saying they played well in the 2nd half. Apart from the goal which was given to them on a plate, did they actually have any sort of actual chance? Can't remember Krul having anything else to do, at all.

Agreed they had a lot of shots and hit the post and bar in the first half but really can't remember Krul making a save.

Having said that i don't remember Friedel making one either :lol: was a strange game.

Guest Howaythetoon

Most encouraging was how we tried to play the ball. There was a clear emphasis on retaining possession and being patient. I don't mind the odd long ball but last season we overplayed that kind of ball. Against Spurs we did it the odd time. Some of our short passing and interchange of play was a delight to watch, with Ben Arfa, Jonas and Tiote in particular demonstrating such play.

Did I hear someone on here comment that Defoe was offide for their goal ?

Yes, he was when it was initially played in to him.

:thup: Thought so. I was waiting for MOTD to show a replay along the line but it never happened.

Cisee had nothing to do tbf. Can't remember him having even a half chance. We created very little in their box.

He almost deflected in Ba's shot in the first half. That's it.

Had a chance near the end as well where the back came in high, he took it down but the defender cleared before he had the chance to do anything with it.

Did I hear someone on here comment that Defoe was offide for their goal ?

Yes, he was when it was initially played in to him.

:thup: Thought so. I was waiting for MOTD to show a replay along the line but it never happened.

I haven't seen the MoTD footage, just watched it on ESPN.  He was defo off when it was played it.

But like papa gimp says, the ref never blew.  I dont recall our players claiming it was offside either.

We seemed to have morphed into a piss poor version of Swansea from last season first half, I'm all for recycling the ball but when their is 0 penetration it's not the best.

Bit early to say that no? We were conserving what little energy we had and making them do the running second half. Correct tactics imo especially since we didn't have shola to bring on.No point over extending yourself in that heat and with our fitness levels.