Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK, one last attempt.

My point is that we have a good transfer policy which will likely lead to steady progress to the point we can afford to reach. Additionally, we should not decide that it's a failure because we have a transfer window where things are a bit quiet.

I'm not surprised that anyone is disappointed with this window a bit, I am myself. But it must be understood in a wider context.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

What on Earth is "the point we can afford to reach"?

I don't like the idea of a transfer "policy" anyway - why on Earth would you put yourself in a position where you might miss out on a player you really want because he doesn't fit a very specific set of parameters?

Well how strict the parameters are is debatable, flexibilty doesn't mean something's not a 'policy'. Obviously you should not miss out on a player for trivial reasons, but what constitutes trivial is hardly clearly defined.

By policy I mean our approach to transfers, as in Jayson's post above. I wouldn't have thought that was confusing.

By 'point we can afford to reach' I mean we will progress as well as we can within our limits. In football we will not challenge Man City and Chelsea because they will always be able to buy megastars whenever they like. Except if financial fair play works. I don't like it but that's a fact.

Didn't we just finish above Chelsea?

Yep, Chelsea had a poor season, then they went out and spent £80m.

OK, one last attempt.

My point is that we have a good transfer policy which will likely lead to steady progress to the point we can afford to reach. Additionally, we should not decide that it's a failure because we have a transfer window where things are a bit quiet.

I'm not surprised that anyone is disappointed with this window a bit, I am myself. But it must be understood in a wider context.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

Again, no fucker is having a pop at the transfer policy, stop making stuff up man, Carr identifies targets based on these policies, is anyone, anyone at all turning up their nose at a player he has indentified?

Afford to reach? We're making a profit man and it's only going to be bigger if things remain the same.

I understand it in a far wider context than you clearly do, you've just created yet another strawman as are all the people who don't appear to be slightly pissed off, unbelievable. Does it help you believe everything will be alright if you just imagine people are moaning about things they're not?

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

Again, no f***er is having a pop at the transfer policy, stop making stuff up man, Carr identifies targets based on these policies, is anyone, anyone at all turning up their nose at a player he has indentified?

Afford to reach? We're making a profit man and it's only going to be bigger if things remain the same.

I understand it in a far wider context than you clearly do, you've just created yet another strawman as are all the people who don't appear to be slightly p*ssed off, unbelievable. Does it help you believe everything will be alright if you just imagine people are moaning about things they're not?

So just because we are making a profit we then must reinvest all that money into the first team, ignoring stadium costs, corporate costs, youth team/acadamy, scouting, equipment, wages, facilites and our mighty bore hole.

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

Again, no f***er is having a pop at the transfer policy, stop making stuff up man, Carr identifies targets based on these policies, is anyone, anyone at all turning up their nose at a player he has indentified?

I understand it in a far wider context than you clearly do, you've just created yet another strawman as are all the people who don't appear to be slightly p*ssed off, unbelievable. Does it help you believe everything will be alright if you just imagine people are moaning about things they're not?

So just because we are making a profit we then must reinvest all that money into the first team, ignoring stadium costs, corporate costs, youth team/acadamy, scouting, equipment, wages, facilites and our mighty bore hole.

Sky money, ticket sales, shirt sales etc.

I don't think there's any hope for this argument.

Nah, it was dead in the water about 7 pages back. Since then I've brought lots of straw men into the argument though and childish ideas so I guess it ended up being worthwhile after all

Guest BooBoo

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

What on Earth is "the point we can afford to reach"?

I don't like the idea of a transfer "policy" anyway - why would you put yourself in a position where you might miss out on a player you really want because he doesn't fit a very specific set of parameters?

The problem being is the parameters are perilously narrow and we more often than not are keen to exploit loopholes like release clauses, contract rebels or when a club is a seriously motivated seller. When it comes to simply buying players the old fashioned way, we're pretty terrible at it and too often simply get our bids laughed at.

This summer we've not been able to find equivalents of Jonas, Gosling and Marveaux. We've been put in a position where we've been asked to spend money properly on prices reflecting true market value, and we've baulked at it.

So what are we arguing about then? Both of us agree with the transfer policy? No problem then, I don't know why we did all this typing.

You're arguing about stuff no fucker has said so you can remain number one apologist it looks to me.

I've raised many points from the lack of long term planning & short-termism, inflexibilit, this perhaps being the biggest missed opportunity since we only signed Lee Bowyer...this not being a sub-standard window, it being fairly normal etc etc.

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

Yes that's right, that's exactly what I and everyone else have been saying, this is not another strawman, you sir are a genius.

So what are we arguing about then? Both of us agree with the transfer policy? No problem then, I don't know why we did all this typing.

You're arguing about stuff no fucker has said so you can remain number one apologist it looks to me.

I've raised many points from the lack of long term planning & short-termism, inflexibilit, this perhaps being the biggest missed opportunity since we only signed Lee Bowyer...this not being a sub-standard window, it being fairly normal etc etc.

Got to stop arguing with you now.

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

He clearly doesn't understand how you arrive at profit in the first place, wasting your time, doesn't even posses the ability to read never mind understand a set of financial statements.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

To be fair we do this song and dance every year. We always "need" more players.

OK, one last attempt.

The end.

(PS Thanks gbandit!)

He clearly doesn't understand how you arrive at profit in the first place, wasting your time, doesn't even posses the ability to read never mind understand a set of financial statements.

The profits come from player sales.  :lol:

One final time, to try and get it into your head, nobody is complaining about the signings made, stop creating strawmen.

Who isn't happy with the transfer policy? Name them? You're just making stuff up man, it looks to me that everyone is happy that we're after a RB and Forward (as well as the CB from January) we'd even settle for not landing all three (I would imagine everyone would be b****** delighted with all 3) but p*ssed off that it looks like we're not going to land them and that we haven't gone on to the next player on the list from those positions.

I've answered every single one of your rubbish theories, yet you still come up with strawmen and utter bollocks, if that's not apologising what is?

It may happen next window, or the one after that, oh well that's ok then, it worked last season, so it's bound to work everytime.

Whats your basis for this Eric?

You quoted pards before saying theres only 2-3 names on our list for each position. I can already think of 2 we've tried for RB for example. Your argument if anything should be that we dont scout enough replacements, not that we're not going for them of which theres no evidence atall.

Guest BooBoo

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two fucks if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

I've actually got to the point of hoping for one more signing, not for the sake of the squad, but so this board doesn't implode.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two f***s if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

In an ideal world we'd sign one or two more players, but I genuinely can't believe the negativity around what is our best team in donkeys. We should be confident of competing with this team. Sure, we have more games to play, but we've got a lot of quality so we should be able to deal with it IMO.

In my time supporting the club there's been only a few real visionaries: Kevin Keegan, John Hall and Bobby Robson. Blokes who thought "bollocks to being an also ran, let's take this club somewhere special". Ashley and co are like far too many other managers, players and even fans who are content to shuffle their feet and say "oh we'll, we ARE only Newcastle United, let's be happy with what we have." Depressing outlook on life in general and certainly in football.

For what it's worth, I think Pardew has shown enough in his time here to suggest that we could really make an assault on 4th place if he'd been backed.

I dont think anyone is like that, we were in the championship only a few seasons ago and we have made massive progress.  Granted we finished 5th, which was superb.  They are still rebuilding the club, this will take time.  I would even wager that we would be even closer if it wasnt for the sugar daddy clubs.

Guest BooBoo

Check out the programme notes v Leicester City in May 1992:

"Watch out Alex, we'll be after your title"- KK

That's vision and positive thinking, not this "be thankful for what we've got" crap.

Guest Dr_Delirium

I don't agree. Carr is doing an excellent job, Ashley not. There is one clear position in the team that everybody knows is the weakest link. This should have been resolved by getting a replacement for Simpson. But that 1M (presumably) more he wouldn't provide, probably because that was his pocket change for his gambling needs. It's his money, he can do what he wants with it, but please don't say he is doing an excellent job.

I cannot believe that people can support Ashley. When he does one thing right, people tend to forgive him for all the bad things.

Impossible to take this post seriously with the pocket change/gambling rubbish in t :lol:

Ok that sentence wasn't really truthful ;).

But! The lack of transfer activity is utterly disappointing.

As it stands now, only 2 fit first team strikers, only 2 first team CB's. If that's not a huge gamble I don't know what is!

Then you also have to consider the extra matches in Europe. Competition for first team places, not in Newcastle!

At the end of the day, I just want to watch NUFC play. Deep down I couldn't give two fucks if we spend £60million or £6million. We proved last year we can compete with the top 6. This year may be harder, who knows, but as things stands we've got the same team + Anita and a few good prospects. We also have Stevie Taylor fit, Ben Arfa fit and playing, Cisse for a full season, and Marveaux fit. There's a lot to be positive about. Like them or not, the board have proved over the last few years that they know what they're doing.

:lol: :thup:

Well put!

To be fair we do this song and dance every year. We always "need" more players.

So you think we don't need more players then? the consensus at the end of last season that the squad wasn't big enough to deal with European football.

What's changed in all honesty? will still don't have a squad capable of being competitive on 4 fronts.

We are going to have to be very clever as far as rotation goes to achieve this with the numbers we have quite frankly.