Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think what's frustrating is that with the money we bid for Carroll with we know there's money sloshing around theoretically available. We had an opportunity to really push on with some extra depth up front and a new right back. Doesn't even matter who it was, but the club seemed lacking in alternatives. Oh well, I do have high hopes for some of the younger players

Just think the club should be more honest with its ambitions.  It is nonsense to talk of challenging for the Champions League considering the pressure that will be on a small squad with extra games and a dependence on not picking up injuries when the squad has not really been strengthened and is in fact weaker in one or two areas.

They ended last season talking about our exciting transfer targets so it is no wonder that people are disappointed at this stage.

You said we broke even due to player trading, which is patently untrue, so it's a redundant point  :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying one year of breaking even eradicates any losses, the losses that Mike Ashley has swallowed up have no bearing on anything, hence him sanctioning unsucesful bids of 8 figures more than once already this window  :rolleyes:

When deals AREN'T done, like the quotes I've posted from previous windows, here's another from today

"If you can't do your business in the summer, then I don't know why because there is plenty of time."

What are you trying to defend with your fallacies? What is the point you are trying to make?  :blush:

I am pretty certain that we wouldn't have made a profit without the Carroll sale.  I don't have the accounts to hand but I don't seem to remember a 35 million plus profit in the year we sold Carroll.  So one would assume that the Carroll money was pretty instrumental in the state of our finances.

How do the losses Ashley shored up previously not have a bearing on what we are prepared to spend?  Quite clearly Ashley wants to run the club along sensible financial lines, which means that we aren't prepared to pay over our own valuations on players (which is a sensible strategy to be honest).  This strategy is a direct result of the losses we were making - it couldn't be any clearer.  It has been stated numerous times that we now run the club in a prudent manner and I sincerely hope we continue to do so.

No idea what you are getting at in the 3rd 'point'.  Completely incoherent.

The points I am making are perfectly clear.  If you want some help, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

I feel like a special needs teacher, all the kids telling the teacher he's wrong, I don't tell you how to drool do I?

Here is a link to the last set of accounts - http://www.nufcblog.org/newcastle-united-accounts.pdf - I'm sure you won't understand a thing in them as comprehension appears beyond you as well. Here's an excerpt "operating losses before player trading fell to -£3.9 million" as Dave has already pointed out. Since then, we've reduced the wage bill further, added an extra £7m from league placing, agreed a more lucrative sponsorship deal and there's a far more lucrative tv deal. You with me?

The losses have no bearing whatsoever, if you don't understand that, that's not my problem. Ashley will not spend beyond our means, we've already made bids of 8 figures on more than occassion (I must have only said this 20 times so you may have missed it).

Point 3 you asked "Evidence for Pardew getting p*ssed off when deals are done for targets?" Just another massive comprehension issue from you, standard.

I have no idea what point what you are trying to make, other than you struggle to read, have no idea how to read or understand financial statements.

If you need any help, don't ask me, I've done my stint for today.

Guest BooBoo

Some of this more recent thread has descended into drivel in the last half hour. A lot of it uncalled for.

Eat shite!

That's just embarrassing.

Thought the accounts were quite a pleasant surprise mesel, but then again I'm not arguing against what's in them.

That's just embarrassing.

Thought the accounts were quite a pleasant surprise mesel, but then again I'm not arguing against what's in them.

I really don't want to continue this debate much further so I think I will limit myself to this last post in direct response to you.

The accounts for 2010/11 show a loss of 3.9 million.  Due to a profit on sales of 36.7 million, we had a profit before tax of 32.6 million.  This was down to the sale of Carroll.  So I am not sure what you are arguing, but my point was that our profit and loss shows that the Carroll sale made a massive difference to our financial health.  This is set against losses of 12 million in 2006, 34.2 million in 2007, 20.3 million in 2008, 15.2 million in 2009 and 17.1 million in 2010.

I am not sure if you are trying to say that our turnover was greater than our expenses if you exclude player amortisation.  In which case you are correct.  But I don't think you can exclude player amortisation when assessing our financial strength. 

I also don't know how you can claim that the consecutive losses for 5 seasons totalling c.80 million don't impact on Ashley's business plan.  I am not denying that certain bids of 8 figures have been made.  What I am suggesting is that Ashley has a figure in mind for each player that he will not go above because he does not see sufficient value.  This has been influenced heavily by the losses the club suffered.

That is all I want to say - I have more important things to do.

Wum or fake account ?

Based on his posts he hate Ashley. (Had to check if there was some kind of pattern on when he usually emerged.)

Dont blame him, even stopped going to games. Not setting his foot at the stadium until the cowboys are gone.

Maybe it changed last season when things started to go well, not sure  :dontknow:

Cos your previous posts back in 2011 were  :lol:calling people apologists in a similar discussion.  you only came crawling out today and started in similar vein when a few people didnt agree with you  :lol:

i think you are actually eric roberts the movie actor seeking attention.

I have now got to the point were I´m no longer angry. I just feel empty and quite sad.

I can only hope that our luck from last season continues.

Just about everything you post on here gives me the impression you are not a Newcastle supporter. Are you?

How very undwhelming. Dont think I've started a summer with so much optimism for it to slowly fade away by the end of August. The fact of the matter is we haven't brought enough players in order to mount a successful league campaign and a European challenge. We can all see what we need. It's criminal going into this so short at the back and up top. It's a huge risk.

I'm not over reacting, nor am i acting like a spoiled child, I'm just disappointed my club hasn't showed the level of ambition to push on to better things despite the best opportunity in a decade to really make a mark of the Premier League. If come tomorrow night we haven't signed anyone then the factor that'll be most irritating is the fact the core of our team is really something special. We've got the likes of Coloccini, one of the finest defenders I've seen at NUFC, we've got a thoroughly classy midfield and two strikers that we're s*** hot last season. We're not talking about a lack of ambition preventing us moving away from mid table mediocrity or a flirt with relegation, we're talking about a lack of ambition that'll see us turn from a good side, into a pretty fantastic team, that's the heartbreak of it all.

Another factor thats peeved folk is the fact that we've been here before. The similarities between summer 03/04 when a lack of investment saw us fail to qualify for the champions league and this summer are all to clear to see. That SBR side was a damn good side, just like our team last season and we fell away from the pack because we didnt push on, you could argue that we never really recovered from from that summer.

People arent asking for us to blow millions on superstars; most people just want to see a little drive and ambition from the board. People want to see the bar raised, not just aiming to achieve what we did last season. If we aimed higher and fell short of last seasons finish then so be it, but at least we had a pop. I really dont see how expecting the board to spend that extra million or two on a player, or bring in players in areas that we desperately need rather than just hoping Pardew can achieve what he did last season with a thread bare squad is too much to ask.

How very undwhelming. Dont think I've started a summer with so much optimism for it to slowly fade away by the end of August. The fact of the matter is we haven't brought enough players in order to mount a successful league campaign and a European challenge. We can all see what we need. It's criminal going into this so short at the back and up top. It's a huge risk.

I'm not over reacting, nor am i acting like a spoiled child, I'm just disappointed my club hasn't showed the level of ambition to push on to better things despite the best opportunity in a decade to really make a mark of the Premier League. If come tomorrow night we haven't signed anyone then the factor that'll be most irritating is the fact the core of our team is really something special. We've got the likes of Coloccini, one of the finest defenders I've seen at NUFC, we've got a thoroughly classy midfield and two strikers that we're s*** hot last season. We're not talking about a lack of ambition preventing us moving away from mid table mediocrity or a flirt with relegation, we're talking about a lack of ambition that'll see us turn from a good side, into a pretty fantastic team, that's the heartbreak of it all.

Another factor thats peeved folk is the fact that we've been here before. The similarities between summer 03/04 when a lack of investment saw us fail to qualify for the champions league and this summer are all to clear to see. That SBR side was a damn good side, just like our team last season and we fell away from the pack because we didnt push on, you could argue that we never really recovered from from that summer.

People arent asking for us to blow millions on superstars; most people just want to see a little drive and ambition from the board. People want to see the bar raised, not just aiming to achieve what we did last season. If we aimed higher and fell short of last seasons finish then so be it, but at least we had a pop. I really dont see how expecting the board to spend that extra million or two on a player, or bring in players in areas that we desperately need rather than just hoping Pardew can achieve what he did last season with a thread bare squad is too much to ask.

Bingo.

I really don't want to continue this debate much further so I think I will limit myself to this last post in direct response to you.

The accounts for 2010/11 show a loss of 3.9 million.  Due to a profit on sales of 36.7 million, we had a profit before tax of 32.6 million.  This was down to the sale of Carroll.  So I am not sure what you are arguing, but my point was that our profit and loss shows that the Carroll sale made a massive difference to our financial health.  This is set against losses of 12 million in 2006, 34.2 million in 2007, 20.3 million in 2008, 15.2 million in 2009 and 17.1 million in 2010.

I am not sure if you are trying to say that our turnover was greater than our expenses if you exclude player amortisation.  In which case you are correct.  But I don't think you can exclude player amortisation when assessing our financial strength. 

I also don't know how you can claim that the consecutive losses for 5 seasons totalling c.80 million don't impact on Ashley's business plan.  I am not denying that certain bids of 8 figures have been made.  What I am suggesting is that Ashley has a figure in mind for each player that he will not go above because he does not see sufficient value.  This has been influenced heavily by the losses the club suffered.

That is all I want to say - I have more important things to do.

Probably done with this thread for a while but just wanted to say, excellent post mate. I may be wrong but I think we once had some lengthy debates about Ben Arfa starting and disagreed but everything you've said here has made perfect sense

Regardless of who they're buying, it's frustrating to see clubs much lower than us spending far more than we have. 2 or 3 strong acquisitions this summer would have given us the best chance at Champions league football in a decade. Falling behind because we're being "careful" is a very real prospect as it stands.

I'm getting more annoyed the more days go by without even the slightest possibility of a player coming in. It's pathetic that we've only spent about £2million with 5 days left.

The only good transfer I remember us completing this late in recent years was Ben Arfa who signed (on loan) on the 27/28th. Our transfer policy (low price or move on) just isn't likely to get results in the last week of the window.

We can compromise our principles (Robert Palmer) and still improve our squad. Spending the extra £1-2million to get Debuchy, a player who we clearly want, will improve us and have had scouted for a long time, isn't going to send us into bankruptcy.

Spending a little bit more than we want to might be the difference between 6th and 5th or 5th and 4th. Having the famous scouting network is pointless if we're not going to trust it with an extra few million here and there which, in today's terms, is nothing.

I'm leaving it at that. If we sign someone decent in the next few days then fantastic. If not, then it's a missed opportunity and a reminder that Ashley isn't as great as last season made him out to be.

If you can't be bothered to read all that, here it is in .gif form... http://i49.tinypic.com/nmgfua.gif

cheers,m8.