Newcastle United 1 - 1 Aston Villa - 02/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 39

Dave

Don't think it was Tioté that was missed today tbf, wasn't as if we were overrun or needed someone to break up their play, we were just s***.

I though we were overrun in the midfield in the first half. They worked harder and we had nobody to put their foot in like Tiote would. Jonas took a bit of a Tiote role inn the second half which helped massively.

I'd drop Jonas for Bigi. Jonas needs a kick up the arse.

yep im tired of seeing him putting his foot over ball while shielding the opponent from the ball with his body and basically just standing on the spot doing it not moving, Ba was guilty of doing the same thing. 

if you havent got a team mate to pass to, dribble away from your marker and look for a pass,  what they did today was just lazy standing there all macho with their foot over the ball shielding, whilst backing into their marker almost like waiting to get spooned. 

its fair enough if we were winning and needed to waste some time on the corner flag, dont bloody do it when its 0-0 or 0-1 down ffs.

yep im tired of seeing him putting his foot over ball while shielding the opponent from the ball with his body and basically just standing on the spot doing it not moving, Ba was guilty of doing the same thing. 

if you havent got a team mate to pass to, dribble away from your marker and look for a pass,  what they did today was just lazy standing there all macho with their foot over the ball shielding, whilst backing into their marker almost like waiting to get spooned. 

its fair enough if we were winning and needed to waste some time on the corner flag, dont bloody do it when its 0-0 or 0-1 down ffs.

You mean trying to hold the ball up and retain possession until teams mates are available for pass or would you prefer he ran down a dead end and lose the ball in a less macho fashion ?

You mean trying to hold the ball up and retain possession until teams mates are available for pass or would you prefer he ran down a dead end and lose the ball in a less macho fashion ?

what i mean is look up look around team mates arent that far away, try turning, spinning away from your marker,  football is pass and move basic stuff unless you're limited.

Jonas is great against big teams on the wing for defensive insurance but he doesn't create anything so against most teams i'd rather see him at CM for games we expect to win.

To use an example Ramires for Chelsea is great in their big games but against the smaller teams he's pretty useless.

Same with Jonas on the wing against smaller teams.

We played as shit as that in a lot of matches last season and won - Fulham (home), Villa (home), Blackburn (away), Norwich (home), Everton (home) to name a few. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you don't. What is worrying is that we never start particularly well, our set pieces are absolutely woeful and fullbacks are going down like flies. Ba & Cisse don't look like they've ever met and Ben Arfa is basically playing a free role, the side is massively unbalanced and we don't like particularly fit. Other than that, tickety boo.

what i mean is look up look around team mates arent that far away, try turning, spinning away from your marker,  football is pass and move basic stuff unless you're limited.

I think if the option was on he or Ba would do that.  Villa were closing us down quickly.

I think if the option was on he or Ba would do that.  Villa were closing us down quickly.

ba and jonas were doing it for no particular reason, at times they did it when they could see a team mate to pass to,  other times instead of beating their man who was on them they simply stopped dribbling, stood there and did that foot over the ball bullshit, lack of fitness perhaps, the jonas and ba of last season would have kept dribbling.

we need to stop using our poor set pieces as excuses.  sure it helps if we can actually beat the first man, but if our game is to rely on set pieces to win games we might as well become more like stoke and west ham.

I don't think it's a case of becoming like those teams, but we had ten corners and numerous free-kicks (they committed twenty fouls!). Apart from the Cabaye effort at the end, they were gash. You can't afford to pass up that many opportunities to get unchallenged deliveries into good areas.

LLB is right to be fair. Jonas does this all the time now. Needs to trap the ball before he can make his next move. No fluidity to his play. Really starting to piss me off and ive been one of his biggest fans over the years.

we need to stop using our poor set pieces as excuses.  sure it helps if we can actually beat the first man, but if our game is to rely on set pieces to win games we might as well become more like stoke and west ham.

We had loads of free kicks and corners and wasted almost all of them. We could have killed them off with only a few decent deliveries.

I don't think it's a case of becoming like those teams, but we had ten corners and numerous free-kicks (they made twenty fouls!). Apart from the Cabaye effort at the end, they were gash. You can't afford to pass up that many opportunities to get unchallenged deliveries into good areas.

you know what even if we had decent deliveries today, ba and cisse were both getting in each other's way.  i saw them talking to each after a decent ball in and they were clearing indicating "hey that should be mine"

yeh it would great if we can have good set pieces, but what wasnt our main problem today.  we were lethargic, hence the spaces we left open between our attack and midfield, and midfield and defence.  huge gaping holes that the villa players could had used to punish us had they been a better side.